Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 09:44 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
Bassett Army Medical Center at Ft Wainwright is not a VA Hospital or part of the Veterans Affairs system. Bassett is an AMEDD MTF. It is set up to provide services primarily for active duty service members and their beneficiaries.
I work at an MTF. I rarely and i mean RARELY get retirees or elderly patients. They are referred to the VA Hospitals. They are rarely treated at MTF's where the mission is to provide medical care to active duty as priority.
This is why the VA is set up, for retirees.
There is no VA hospital in Fairbanks. Only a VA outpatient clinic.
They do things a bit differntly here in Alaska. I've seen quite a few retirees sent over to the hospital at JBER.

Alaska VA Healthcare System Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtlowe View Post
lookimg to contact the VFW in nome alaska about services for veterans closest VA hospital can some servive on 100% disability in nome would like to do something adventerous in my life before i die
There is a VA rep at most Hospitals. I have used the Nome, hospital. There is always a close phone if you need med help. The VA clinics are there for the vets..... just ask.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:24 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
Regarding JBER Anchorage, Elmendorf has a 60 bed (very small) limited service hospital. It is an Air Force hospital. This small hospital is the only MTF for active duty and dependents in Anchorage as far as I know, and being that small, to handle both Air Force and Army, I am sure that they are pretty booked with active duty, who get priority. And especially now that most of our troops are out of the sandbox. Army does not have a hospital, only a clinic. Therefore, most vets would be fielded out to the Anchorage VA hospital and/or civilian hospitals. If there is a larger full service MTF in Anchorage, please let me know about it, so i know my options are greater for jobs....
With regards to Fairbanks, I just got a message from one our fellow CD'ers who said that her vet friend went to the clinic at Ft Wainwright and was referred out to Fairbanks Hospital for services rather than Bassett Army Medical Center. From what i have seen working at several military posts, this is how they do things (active duty has priority, dependents are next, retirees on space available).

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
They do things a bit differntly here in Alaska. I've seen quite a few retirees sent over to the hospital at JBER.

Alaska VA Healthcare System Home

Old 02-09-2012, 10:42 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
My friend who is a vet of Navy and Army just had an operation at Wainwright through the VA. But I will double check. I was born at Wainwright to a retired Army vet and his wife.
There is a VA Clinic next to the pharmacy at Bassett. You can register in there, and can see military doctors. Some of the surgery is done at Bassett, but some are performed at other hospitals under the VA. For any medication you may need, once the military doctors approve it, it's shipped to your house somewhere from the VA, or you can get it right there at the pharmacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska