Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 01:27 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
no one can do anything about it i doubt there are many patrol cars at 10,000 feet in northern alaska, thats why alaska is so appealing
They use airplanes, helicopters, snowmachines, 4 wheelers, hovercraft, airboats, and even remote cameras. If they hear from the public that someone is poaching they will stake you out.

I have been checked by fish and feathers on a mountain top while sheep hunting, on a very remote river by a float plane that landed in the windy chop and by a helicopter that landed in the rain and fog in almost 0 visibility on the flats as well as the normal fish and game pick-up truck. I have been stopped by undercover fish and feathers by while hunting 20 miles from the closest road and among the combat fishermen on the salmon stream.

They take their fish and game regs very seriously here and those people are out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 04:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texheat00 View Post
What you mean by that? I know by the comments on here from alot of people, native Alaskans have this machismo about them.Be careful on who you decided to confront.Just because they are not from Alaska does not mean that they will lay down and take you're crap! If I were from Alaska and knew of GOOD people that were new, I would do my best to educate them on the laws and different ways there are to do things. Not stay in my "social click" and point at the new guy, and then get angry when he does something wrong. I've encountered on this forum some very very nice people, and I've run into a couple who seem to think that they own Alaska, and don't want to be bothered by us who live in the lower 48. I don't understand it, but I guess thats just the way it is!
Really now. My comment wasn't directed at you but rather the person who posted this (I don't think you saw the quote in the comment that you objected to ) :

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove
alaska is vast you get up on the dalton and go into the brooks range you arnt likely to meet up with many human beings go there shoot what you want and if the government poops its pants let them
Once again, anyone who wants to come up here thinking they can "shoot what they want" won't have just Fish and Game to worry about. It is not a good idea and I'm sure that you wouldn't appreciate that sentiment being said about Texas. It goes beyond hunting and fishing regs, remote Alaskan communities tend to be self policing in other ways as well.

There's a huge difference between a new person coming up here and asking honest questions, like you did in your OP, and an idjit like onthemove (who is a known AK forum troll, by the way), thinking that because it is so sparsely populated that the can blatantly steal from the people who live here as well as the out of staters who follow the regs. And poaching is stealing.

Comments like that strike a chord with some of us because we've seen that attitude in action. About a mile from here, some great white hunter pulled his truck over to the side of the road and shot what he thought was a wolf. It was someone's pet golden retriever.

Asking people to abide by Fish and Game laws here really isn't too much to ask.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-24-2009 at 05:40 PM..

Old 07-24-2009, 09:50 PM

835 posts, read 2,856,288 times
i am not planning to come and just trap and kill all i want. in fact i have plans of a different sort and they involve areas human beings just wont go, why? i dont like this 9-5 setup of ass kissing. trust me i'll be far from a road or anything that reminds me of this outside world i will not be near.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:21 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
i am not planning to come and just trap and kill all i want. in fact i have plans of a different sort and they involve areas human beings just wont go, why? i dont like this 9-5 setup of ass kissing. trust me i'll be far from a road or anything that reminds me of this outside world i will not be near.

Well if you're not coming to trap or hunt, what do you mean by plans of a different sort?

Old 07-24-2009, 10:36 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,778,847 times
Living off the land in a remote area I would guess. Except these days the law gets to you out there too...

Old 07-24-2009, 10:54 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPF View Post
Living off the land in a remote area I would guess. Except these days the law gets to you out there too...
He was mentioning going up 10,000 feet; some tough living off the land. Yes as Marty said they use airplanes, helicopters, etc.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:21 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,227,390 times
I am not a hunter (lack of skill, rather than lack of desire). But, having said that, I believe that the fish hawks (fish and game wardens) perform one of the toughest jobs in Alaska, bar none. And any idiot who decides to disreagard the game laws does so at his own peril. I use the word "peril" advisedly. The game wardens might have to save that idiot's butt from his irate neighbors. Depleting an area of game in a pathological thrill to kill is a sure way to tick off the neighbors. There are large areas that are reasonably devoid of man (and woman, too). But these large areas tend to be used for subsistence hunting by Bush Alaskans. Thirty miles is not a long range to go hunting on 4-wheelers and snow machines. In Bush Alaska, that's just a commute.

And a stranger trekking through is apt to be noticed. And commented on. And watched. I'm not talking about Anchorage here. I'm talking about strings of communities that talk to each other. I walk softly through villages when I am there. The age of the "Great White Hunter" went bye-bye in the late 50's. And a free-wheeling killing spree is sure to get noticed. Scavenging ravens rising from a kill in numbers tend to grab the eye. From the sky and the ground. And Native hunters are pretty attuned to that sort of thing. And their neighbors know who got meat lately and where. They share info AND food.

Yup. I'm sure, absolutely positive, that those stupid fish hawks would miss things like that. I'm sure they wouldn't notice fox and bear heading for a fresh kill. Those fox and bears have got really bad senses. Probably wouldn't smell it more than 5-10 miles away. And every Alaskan knows that ravens are as stupid as the darn Fish and Game people.

By the way, that last paragraph was laden with sarcasm, for those who missed it. LOL

Old 07-24-2009, 11:42 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Fish And Game Browncoats do take the rules seriously. For example:

Case Number: 08-73308
Type: Transport Antlers Before Meat
Text: On 9/1/08 Tok AWT investigated a report that a group of
non-resident hunters had not salvaged the majority of their Caribou meat
while hunting in the 70-Mile river area north of Tok. An investigation
by AWT revealed that James K. Bouchard, 52 yoa and Michael L. Bouchard,
55 yoa, both of Montana, had taken Caribou and only initially salvaged
the backstraps and antlers. Upon returning to the kill sites the day
after the animals were shot, both had been taken over by different bears
and subsequently no other meat was able to be salvaged. On 9/2/08 AWT
issued summonses to appear in court to both hunters charging them each
with one count of transporting antlers from the kill site before all
edible meat had been salvaged. Arraignment is set for September 15th in
Tok Court.

Case Number: 08-74742
Type: Take Sub Legal Dall Sheep
Text: On 9-5-08, 54 year old Robert D. Bostater of Hicksville, OH was
cited for assisting in the take of a sub legal dall sheep. 55 year old
Gary L. Caldwell of Westminster, CO was charged with taking a sub legal
dall sheep. The charges resulted after the two men were contacted in the
field at a spike camp with a dall sheep with 7/8 curl horns and 7 years
of age. The sheep was harvested on 9/4/08 after Bostater, who was acting
as the guide instructed Caldwell to shoot the sheep. Bostater was
guiding for Alaska Trophy Hunts at the time the illegal sheep was taken.

The meat, cape, and hons of the sheep were seized as evidence, and
arraignments were scheduled in McGrath District court.
Author: BSG9
Received Monday, September 08, 2008 10:08 AM and posted Monday, September 08, 2008 10:03 AM

Case Number: 08-74738
Type: Take Sub-Legal Dall Sheep
Text: On 9-5-08, 43 year old John R. Mackie of Soldotna was charged with
one count of assisting in the take of a sub-legal Dall Sheep. The charge
resulted after Mackie was contacted in the field with a sheep with less
than full curl horns, and only six years of age.
The investigation shows that the sheep was shot by hunting client Hubert
Chatin(also a licensed assistant guide), after Mackie, who was acting as
his guide, instructed him to shoot the sheep. Mackie was working for
Alaska Trophy Hunts at the time the illegal sheep was shot.
The sheep was seized, and arraignment is scheduled in McGrath District
Court on 10-15-08.
Received Monday, September 08, 2008 10:08 AM and posted Monday, September 08, 2008 10:04 AM

Case Number: 08-76422
Type: Take Sub-Legal Sheep
Text: On 9/11/08 at 1815 hours, AWT contacted Donald Leithead, 60 yoa of
Juneau, after he arrived at a local air taxi service from sheep hunting.
Investigation revealed that Leithead had taken a sub-legal Dall Sheep
while hunting within the Delta Controlled Use area. Leithead had taken
a sheep that was less than 7/8 curl and 6 years old in an area
restricted to full curl or 8 year old sheep. Leithead was cited for
taking a sub-legal sheep and the sheep rifle used were seized.
Arraignment is set for Oct. 22 in Tok District court.
Author: BWJ9
Received Friday, September 12, 2008 7:12 AM and posted Friday, September 12, 2008 7:59 AM

Case Number: 08-77663

Type: Take Cow Caribou in a Closed Area

Text: On 9-13-08, 46 year old David A. Burk of Arlington Texas was
charged with one count of taking a cow caribou in a closed area. The
charge resulted after Burke shot and killed a cow caribou while shooting
at a bull near the Tonzona River, which is in an area closed to the
taking of cows. The caribou meat was seized, and arraignment is
scheduled in McGrath District Court on 10-15-08.

Received Tuesday, September 16, 2008 10:16 AM and posted Tuesday, September 16, 2008 10:24 AM

---------------------------------------------------------------
Case Number: 08-78262 & 78276
Type: Take Sub Legal Moose, Fail to Validate Harvest Tag
Text: On 9/18/08 Tok AWT contacted Matthew G. Struttmann, 35 yoa of
Columbia, MO, after he contacted Troopers to report he had shot a sub
legal bull Moose. Investigation showed that Struttmann had taken a
Moose with antlers that were 46" in width and had 2 brow tines in an
area restricted to 50" or 4 brow tine Moose. It was further discovered
that Struttmann had failed to validate his Moose harvest card upon
taking the moose. Struttmann was cited for Take Sub Legal Moose with a
mandatory court date and issued a citation for failing to validate his
harvest tag with a bail amount of $160. The moose was seized and
donated to a charity.
Received Thursday, September 18, 2008 6:18 PM and posted Thursday, September 18, 2008 6:09 PM

Case Number: 08-78267 & 78277
Type: Take Sub Legal Moose, Fail to Validate Harvest Tag
Text: On 9/18/08 Tok AWT contacted Scott K. Aberess, 36 yoa of Columbus,
OH, after he contacted Troopers to report he had shot a sub legal bull
Moose. Investigation showed that Aberess had taken a Moose with antlers
that were 33" in width and had 3 brow tines in an area restricted to 50"
or 4 brow tine Moose. It was further discovered that Aberess had failed
to validate his Moose harvest card upon taking the moose. Aberess was
cited for Take Sub Legal Moose with a mandatory court date and issued a
citation for failing to validate his harvest tag with a bail amount of
$160. The moose was seized and donated to a charity.
Received Thursday, September 18, 2008 6:18 PM and posted Thursday, September 18, 2008 6:09 PM

Case Number: 08-76519
Type: Take Caribou Closed Season
Text: On 09/18/08 Alaska Wildlife Troopers cited Robert W. Engstrom, 68
YOA, of Prior Lake, MN, for taking a caribou in Unit 20E, in an area
that was closed by emergency order. The citation was issued after an
investigation was conducted by Alaska Wildlife Troopers in Tok and
Fairbanks. The investigation was initiated after other hunters in the
area saw Engstrom with a caribou. Engstrom will be arraigned in the Tok
District Court on 10/22/08.
Author: SDQ9

No matter where you go in Alaska during hunting season, browncoats will find you!

Old 07-25-2009, 01:26 AM

its simple 1 guy me, in a land area size wise that goes from montana to florida only in a much more rugged harsh enviorment, if its that easy to get caught, i mean if the odds are that high i think i may play the lottery in alaska and see if i can come up with the powerball!!!

Old 07-25-2009, 01:30 AM

i mean i may get found but other than tresspassing what crime will i be commiting? taking in scenery? sleeping under a governors spruce tree? LOL come on a guy just looking for peace and that is tired of bearucracy and ppl i want only want i need, i have no plans to destroy the natural i respect it and treasure it. I have done some living in the san juans and lived close to nature for a month in may2008 and i came across 2 or 3 people none of which tried to bust me for being a mtn man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska