Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 01:19 PM

4 posts, read 15,907 times

Advertisements

That's exactly what my thoughts are. I finally accepted her going on the ferry by herself but I just don't think driving from Haines is a good idea. It looks like it's just about 1000 miles to Soldotna. We just have to convince her that this isn't a good idea. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 01:48 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,014 times
A good compromise would be for her to take the ferry to Juneau, catch a cab to the airport (about 25 bucks at most, cheaper if it is split with others) and fly the rest of the way.
She'll have a blast on the ferry. It's about 3 days from Bellingham to Juneau, and even if she sleeps on the solarium, people tend to "herd up", they find others of like minds and get together. The ferry is very safe and the rules once cast off are VERY STRICT!
Something peple don't commenrt about is that once cast off and underway, you are officially in the state of Alaska, even the clocks are set to Alaskan time. Call the 800#. Ask any questions. They're very helpfull.

Or...fly up, and do the ferry thing in reverse coming home.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:17 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,541,295 times
Also, barging the car up and flying will be close to the same cost as taking the ferry. Let her do the return trip via driving and/or ferry. April/May will still have some snow, but should be better. I'd still recommend that someone drive with her.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:50 PM

What do you mean by barging up the car? It sounds like the vehicle goes separately. She seems to think that she really needs vehicle. And she says rental for 3 months is very expensive.

In the spring, her dad and I are planning on flying up to AK, spending a week or so in the area with her, and then driving back to Wisconsin with her. But you just gave me another idea with this barging the car thing. To me it sounds like the car goes on an ocean vessel by itself. If that's how it works, she could fly up in December and "pick up" her car. Then in April, we could fly up to meet her, take the ferry back to Seattle and drive to Wisconsin from there. The ferry sounds like a great experience. Wow, this all sounds very expensive to me. The ferry trip for just her is around $1000 and that's without a cabin. Do you know how I'd find out about the barge?

Old 07-24-2009, 06:45 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,244,325 times
We took the ferry from Bellingham to Whittier later last September. It was a great ride! The crossing of the Golf of Alaska was a bit stormy, and I would have like to spend more time in some, all, the ports we stopped at, but it was great.

Boarding the ferry. My wife and stip daughter are on the top deck near the solarium. They boarded first with the truck and cargo trailer.

Our cabin on the starboard bow.

Coming through one of the part the cruise ships can't

And you might see some of these.

Like I said, the Gulf was a bit rough. Here is a waterspout I caught.

Purser Desk

And, if you do get seasick, these are located all over the ship.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:06 PM

32 posts, read 74,780 times
just an update from me last day of work was today, kinda exciting and depressing...any who diner with the folks this weekend and fly out on tuesday morning 6:15am.. doesnt seem real yet.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:28 PM

Are you taking your truck on the ferry with you?

Old 07-24-2009, 09:38 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,687,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtimm120259 View Post
Do you know how I'd find out about the barge?
Northland Services

Call them. They can give you the details on shipping the vehicle.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:31 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,129 times
Good luck Ggoodman! Have fun - send your experience on the ferry!

As far as Mom worrying about your daughter! Haha my own mother is freaking out with me on daily phone calls about driving to Alaska. I am a pretty tough mountain gal used to camping etc...older with more experience.

I am leaving on next Saturday to drive Seattle area to Seward. For a first time experience hmmm even I don't think I would chance it not knowing the roads in winter. Fly her up - don't know the barges - listen to locals but I do know barging a car from Seattle to Hawaii is around $1000 shouldn't be more But as far as checking into for me rental car Hell no $1000 would be cheap for 3months..I check for this summer out of Anchorage and it was like $2300 for 11 days. Don't know if winter rates lessen?

The ferries go off of length of the car to incorportate into the price. Made it a little spendy I will see what the cost of camping and driving is before my return and deciede if I want to take the ferry on the return.

When checking the ferries becasue I was orginally going up in May Haines was the drop off pick up point until May 28th this year then going onto Whitter.

Also due to having a dog I checked out the ferry when I can go to truck? Three times a day for 15 minutes allowed at assigned times to let dog out.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:59 PM

32 posts, read 74,780 times
made it to seattle(awesome place) more importantly my truck made it with all of my stuff still inside.
anyone that ever makes it this way needs to go downtown and walk around for a few hours. a note though even if you have dark window tint as I do put the freaking parking decal on the window not the dash failure to do so results in a 20 ticket(even though I pointed out to the cop you cant read the info on the permit if i stick it on the window, her responce was sorry and welcome to seattle).... more to come as i head out for the ferry tommorrow. Ak here I come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska