Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 03:09 PM

635 posts, read 1,656,414 times

Advertisements

Ok...
It's like this, a friend of mine is planning a move to Alaska now that she got her Graduate degree. Around here she is more marketable because she has the graduate degree. I, on the other hand, only have my Bachelors degree and the opportunities are $9 to $ 10 hour jobs. I have been researching the job market in Alaska and am amazed at the opportunities available to me with my degree. There are a lot of not-for-profits, clinics, healthcare facilities etc. that have job offerings.

Am I dreaming? Are there really that many jobs for someone likeme? Is the competition fierce? I have fallen in love with the landscape in Alaska and I hear wonderful things about the people.

I'd appreciate some thoughts on my potential prospects. I did not get into student loan debt to stay here and still be in poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 03:35 PM

49 posts, read 216,200 times
Alaska's economy seems to be doing alright (when compared to much of the country). Sure the real estate market isn't booming, but it hasn't tanked either (my family and I just sold our Anchorage house in June!) So... the job market is also doing fine from what I can see. Anchorage especially is such a large community that many jobs are available. Many jobs in Alaska pay well, but please factor in the extra costs of slightly pricier food, and if you have family/friends living out-of-state, you'll want to fly to visit them from time to time and tickets can be pricey.

You say that you're seeing lots of jobs based on your research... you're probably not dreaming.

I've even heard that many school districts are a great place to look - especially if you're open to the idea of teaching/assisting in resource rooms (aka special education rooms). Also, check out the ARC of Anchorage (private, not-for-profit organization dedicated to promoting community integration and quality of life for children and adults with disabilities). They seem to always be hiring.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
alaska's economy seems to be doing alright (when compared to much of the country). Sure the real estate market isn't booming, but it hasn't tanked either (my family and i just sold our anchorage house in june!) so... The job market is also doing fine from what i can see. Anchorage especially is such a large community that many jobs are available. Many jobs in alaska pay well, but please factor in the extra costs of slightly pricier food, and if you have family/friends living out-of-state, you'll want to fly to visit them from time to time and tickets can be pricey.

You say that you're seeing lots of jobs based on your research... You're probably not dreaming.

i've even heard that many school districts are a great place to look - especially if you're open to the idea of teaching/assisting in resource rooms (aka special education rooms). Also, check out the arc of anchorage (private, not-for-profit organization dedicated to promoting community integration and quality of life for children and adults with disabilities). They seem to always be hiring.

great!!! Thanks

Old 07-24-2009, 03:52 PM

49 posts, read 216,200 times
more non-profits

PIC website homepage

Hope Community Resources Inc

good luck

Old 07-24-2009, 05:18 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,781,302 times
Hard to believe about that 9-10 per hour... My daughter graduated in nursing- and is still looking for a job, but 24-26 per hour is what it pays new grads here in chicagoland. And close to 3x that much for nurses anesthetics. after two more years of education.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:51 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
Ok...
It's like this, a friend of mine is planning a move to Alaska now that she got her Graduate degree. Around here she is more marketable because she has the graduate degree. I, on the other hand, only have my Bachelors degree and the opportunities are $9 to $ 10 hour jobs. I have been researching the job market in Alaska and am amazed at the opportunities available to me with my degree. There are a lot of not-for-profits, clinics, healthcare facilities etc. that have job offerings.

Am I dreaming? Are there really that many jobs for someone likeme? Is the competition fierce? I have fallen in love with the landscape in Alaska and I hear wonderful things about the people.

I'd appreciate some thoughts on my potential prospects. I did not get into student loan debt to stay here and still be in poverty.
Keep in mind that while there may be jobs available, the cost of living in Alaska is quite high.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Keep in mind that while there may be jobs available, the cost of living in Alaska is quite high.

Yes I have seen from other posts. If I understand correctly...I could expect to pay at least 25% more for groceries etc. Housing there varies but I see a pretty consistant 30 to 50% increase. I live in SW Missouri and a 2bdrm house(small) runs about $600 to 750 or more depending on location and size. So I figured it would be safe to at least double housing costs.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPF View Post
Hard to believe about that 9-10 per hour... My daughter graduated in nursing- and is still looking for a job, but 24-26 per hour is what it pays new grads here in chicagoland. And close to 3x that much for nurses anesthetics. after two more years of education.
There is a high demand for nurses in our neck of the woods. But understandably many don't want to relocate to SW MO. Yea in my area and surrounding, a BS in Psychology does not get you far. But I'm 39 and too darn tired and poor to go any further.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:44 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
Yes I have seen from other posts. If I understand correctly...I could expect to pay at least 25% more for groceries etc. Housing there varies but I see a pretty consistant 30 to 50% increase. I live in SW Missouri and a 2bdrm house(small) runs about $600 to 750 or more depending on location and size. So I figured it would be safe to at least double housing costs.
It seems that you have done your homework. A lot of people don't, and then get in a tight spot when they arrive here. More than likely you will have to drive to go from place to place, specially if living in the interior of Alaska (by Fairbanks). Now, this added cost is a lot smaller if living in Juneau, or even Anchorage. In Fairbanks, everything (stores, etc.) is spread-out. When you take into consideration the higher cost of living compared to the one where you reside, the higher wages in Alaska (for the same kind of work) is relative. It all means that you will still have the same amount of cash left. The only time it makes a difference is if you land a job that pays three or more times more than what you make there, because of the higher cost of living here.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
It seems that you have done your homework. A lot of people don't, and then get in a tight spot when they arrive here. More than likely you will have to drive to go from place to place, specially if living in the interior of Alaska (by Fairbanks). Now, this added cost is a lot smaller if living in Juneau, or even Anchorage. In Fairbanks, everything (stores, etc.) is spread-out. When you take into consideration the higher cost of living compared to the one where you reside, the higher wages in Alaska (for the same kind of work) is relative. It all means that you will still have the same amount of cash left. The only time it makes a difference is if you land a job that pays three or more times more than what you make there, because of the higher cost of living here.
Yea...I was looking into the Anchorage area, Juneau popped into my mind too. This forum has been extremely helpful. It looks like my friends are not moving to Alaska right now...cost etc. But I am hoping to find a way to make it work for them at minimal cost. We are kinda doing the buddy system on this. I would be willing to sell everything, bring a few suitcases and have my parents ship a few boxes later. Flying is much less expensive than I thought. However, that leaves finding a vehicle after I got there. I am not overly concerned with housing. I have seen a lot of listings for furnished places. It would just be my son (13) and I.

Thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska