Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:18 PM

2 posts, read 5,252 times

Advertisements

I have just accepted a job at YKHC..Can anyone tell if there are small houses to rent that have a small fenced yard? I am bring by 12y/o lab with me, and I need a place for her. Also I have a 2WD Jeep Liberty that I am considering bringing..is this wise? I am set to start work on Sept 16 and plan on being up ther around the 4th of Sept. Any info would be very helpful..thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 11:31 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,150,019 times
There aren't many fenced houses here, there are a few of them, but they're owned by people. You can ask the HR department on places to rent, or you can look here. The Delta Discovery for available rentals. There are a lot of 2wd cars and trucks here and they seem to work fine. I'll be out of town by then, but if you do need more information, send me a dm or ask here.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:40 PM

20 posts, read 63,446 times
Well...a few things...there are some houses with yard, but not many. As for the dog...realise that the winters are harsh and a 12 y/o lab is probably feeling the effects of age...I didn't bring my 12 y/o Golden up for just that reason.
The vehicle..well, if it's newer, I'd recommend buying a vehicle in Bethel and use it until it's beat up. Gas is expensive. Dependig on what you do, it's almost cheaper just paying the money for a taxi when you need to go shopping. What I DO recommend is take your relocation allowance and ship as much food as you can...you will make out in the long run...but buy the 50 lb bags of rice/sugar/flour , cases of canned goods you usually use (tomato products, canned veggies) , all the dry good (and some liquid i.e. syrup) and let the company ship them...you will save tons of money that way....just went to the store...bought a diet coke, a snapple, a loaf of bread, some cheese and a frozen pizza...my bill was 42 bucks...so get ready for sticker shock.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:31 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,925,072 times
Ask your contact at YKHC if they will send you the list of rentals they have on their website. It's in the YKHC News rental section. You won't have access to it until you get set up with the IT people in Bethel. It has over a dozen rentals listed.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:40 PM

20 posts, read 63,446 times
Here is one for ya:

For Rent – 9456A Ayaginar (Tundra Ridge)

View from A-side living room

• 14,644 sq.ft. treed lot with large graveled parking area.
• Living areas overlook large pond and open tundra. Nesting loons during summer.
• Each side has: arctic entry w/ washer/dryer, own utilities, large entry deck (A-side has wired room on deck for small shop/storage).
• Four Northerm triple-pane windows recently installed. New sewer line and house recently leveled.
• A-side recently vacated by owner – available to lease at $1,400 / mo. plus utilities (except owner pays for snow removal and ½ oil). Sales tax included.
• Pets (up to two) OK with deposit ($250 each).
• B-side currently leased.
• All appliances included.
For information / viewing, call Phil @ 907-523-4870.
Or, email: philgutleben@yahoo.com

another:

Large studio for rent in Blueberry Sub!* Laminate floors, newly painted and remodeled, Sauna.* Electric, water and heating fuel included in the rent.* Pets considered upon approval and with an additional fee.* $1000 deposit and $1250 / month rent.* Call (608) 658-9395 or email [ mailtonyourmarxperformance@gmail.com ]onyourmarxperformance@gmail.com and we will get back to you right away!*

Old 08-02-2009, 07:51 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,150,019 times
The house in Tundra Ridge is a nice one, the back deck has some great windows over it. It does get a lot of snow in the winter in the form a large drifts, as does every house on that street.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:25 PM

251 posts, read 706,959 times
Looking at the options available for rental once you get here may be the best plan to locate housing unless you have someone that can look for you that you trust. Choosing where you live is often one of the most personal interchanges you may have with a new environment- do you really want to leave it up to chance? YK has a server called First Class that is part of the local area interweb that will become available to you that offers a good variety of listings that you can check on. It also lists garage sales and local events that will get you what you need as well as familiarize you with the local area.
As for the Liberty, depends on what you want/need. Gas is definitely very expensive and your truck will get beaten-down like a kite-flying midget in a windstorm due to local road conditions. If it's new, you may want to sell it then buy a beather here. You also most likely won't be taking it away from here if/when you choose to leave Bethel due to high shipping costs- keep that in mind if you want to bring it due to sentimental value.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the Bush. Enjoy the ride.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:32 PM

251 posts, read 706,959 times
Oh yeah, just so you know, I do work for YKHC but do not live in Bethel.
I am in a remote village but do pop into Bethel at least monthly.

Enjoy.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:05 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,925,072 times
If you need something temporarily until you find a place, the Long House allows pets with a $50 deposit.
Long House Hotel Bethel

Old 08-03-2009, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,252 times
Thanks for all of the information...I am looking into other options for my labby...just real hard to leave her, I have had her since she was 12 weeks old..as for my car..I really appreciate the info..I just may leave it here and sell it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska