Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:13 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times

Advertisements

What would you have done if it was "rent a bear instead?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 11:18 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
it reminds me of a movie with chevy chase and they were trying to sell their house in the country and paid all the town people to be nice and when the interested party arrived he had a walkie talkie and said 'cue the dear.' and the dear goes skipping by. I think the name of it was 'Funny Farm"

Old 08-17-2009, 03:16 AM

56 posts, read 154,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
What would you have done if it was "rent a bear instead?"
They would have likely stared at it in disbelief, much like people here. Out in western MD they have a bear problem, so to combat this they have a lottry system of bear hunting tags, one person gets one bear and you annually enter the lottery to win a tag to get a black bear. Allows for easy regulation of how many bear are hunted each year.

Well, apparently some of our more urban representatives who see hunting as the bane of society thought that it was inhumane to hunt the black bear. The representative of Washington county (the one with the bear problem) offered to ship all of the black bears to Prince George's county (largely african american and affluent). Something about that made me laugh, just imagining all the wannabe PG gangstas seeing a black bear walking down the street past the baseball stadium!

But I agree, bear are an interesting problem that is not easily solved. Not to mention the short list of effective firearms for killing them!

Old 08-17-2009, 10:20 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4now View Post
After reading all the angry political stuff i wanted to turn the topic back to Alaska.
The morning before we made an offer on the new house we drove up and took one last look before deciding and saw a moose just down the street and a porcupine just around the corner. After that we were all in! In the 3 weeks we have been here we have seen squirrels and a rabbit. The house sellers knew we were coming to look so obviously dialed 1 800 renta moose to seal the deal.(i guess they throw in the porcupines with a one week moose rental)
Dont get me wrong we love the new place but i would like to know how to rent the moose in case we ever decide to sell.
Rep to ya. Glad you and the wife arrived up here. I will rent you moose if you want , matter of fact I'll let you borrow them since I want them back; they are such magnificent creatures.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:12 PM

244 posts, read 485,846 times
Funny story here kinda a yeah you were right from an earlier thread regarding bird feeders in Alaska. Wife wanted to feed the birdies and the original owner left 3 feeders hanging from a tree near the front door. So loaded them up and had birds galore after 3 or 4 days. Wife loved the, i assume blue jays at least thats what we caleed em in socal.
Well today a pair of small hawks found a great hunting spot were lotsa little birds congregated and we have at least one less blue jay and far fewer birds at their feeders.

And Granny suicidal maybe but i would love to see a bear! Only heard about 2 blackies near here. One was roadkill that our realtors assistant got the call from the troopers on and took, and the other was chasing some goats and horses at a residence in the newspaper. On top of the hill here we have been told blackies are around but the browns are mainly seen down in the valleys near the rivers.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:18 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4now View Post
Funny story here kinda a yeah you were right from an earlier thread regarding bird feeders in Alaska. Wife wanted to feed the birdies and the original owner left 3 feeders hanging from a tree near the front door. So loaded them up and had birds galore after 3 or 4 days. Wife loved the, i assume blue jays at least thats what we caleed em in socal.
Well today a pair of small hawks found a great hunting spot were lotsa little birds congregated and we have at least one less blue jay and far fewer birds at their feeders.

And Granny suicidal maybe but i would love to see a bear! Only heard about 2 blackies near here. One was roadkill that our realtors assistant got the call from the troopers on and took, and the other was chasing some goats and horses at a residence in the newspaper. On top of the hill here we have been told blackies are around but the browns are mainly seen down in the valleys near the rivers.
The jays are gray jays or stellar jays....you might have to go for a ride to see the "B's."... I have yet to have seen one in our hood....good thing is they hang by the rivers!

Old 08-19-2009, 11:52 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Drive fast in the dark with you headlights on low beam... should see all the moose you want to in a lifetime in one night....

Old 08-19-2009, 10:47 PM

Thanks for the bird info! Does anyone have a link to a Alaska bird web page with good pictures that could help me identify what im seeing? I saw the state one and sorry but my imagination isnt good enough to match black and white drawings to colorfull birds.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:07 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,371,732 times
Hiya Socal...try these sites
Birds In Alaska
Alaska Birds and Alaska Bird Pictures, Ravens, Eagles
Alaska Birds

Old 08-20-2009, 12:56 AM

thank you, great sites!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska