Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 04:04 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,805,867 times

Advertisements

"The Edge" was good.
"Death Hunt" with Charles Bronson was pretty good also, well at least it was about the Mad Trapper escaping to Alaska, which everyone knows he didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 05:18 PM

43 posts, read 240,817 times
Dear Alaskan Friends

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll try the one about Bronson, one of my all time favorite tough guys. The one about Heimo was also interesting. I think Ill try it too. There was a book I read a while back I can't remember the author's name. Something about Across Alaska or Discovering Alaska, anyway,it held my interest so well I checked it out twice. I can't remember what the author's name was. What I admired most was his reverence and respect for the 49th state. I think he lives in Tennessee. Anyway I'll check it out. again or his name.
Wan2Batraveler10

Old 05-14-2007, 05:32 PM

145 posts, read 570,860 times
Wan2Batraveler10,

I think the book is by Peter Jenkins "Looking For Alaska." I've read it twice also

Old 05-15-2007, 05:09 AM

Yess!!! That's it, that's the one. Gee thanks Magoon. I was about to bust a cog trying to remember what that fella name was. Thanks a lot, I think I'll read it again.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:27 AM

959 posts, read 2,362,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddleplay View Post
Let's also throw in "Coming into the Country" By J. McPhee.

Are there any good movies about AK?

I've heard of the TV show "Northern Exposure" but never saw an episode, is that one any good?
Northern Exposure was an AWESOME show...great humor, very witty about small-town, Alaskan lifestyle...and lots of the eccentricity illustrated in the show is VERY much like folks here. A few episodes were real tear-jerkers too. I've heard they have the whole seried on DVD now...gotta get my hands on the set.

One episode; a native lady has pet llamas in her back yard, and a bunch of stuff happens Well, we have a couple "interesting" folks here; I saw a cat on a leash the other day, walking beside it's owners like a dog. Also saw a toy-size pet goat with a diaper on...HEHEH...only in Alaska (or possibly Hollywood If you get a chance, watch!

Old 05-15-2007, 01:59 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,485,072 times
Great book I am reading is Arctic Homestead about a couple and their kids who set up to homestead north of Fairbanks and what it really was like with all the warts and all.

By Norma Cobb and Charles Sasser. Norma kept a diary that was the basis for the book and it appears to be an honest look at wilderness life with a family that has kids.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:12 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,489,560 times
Default Sourdough

I really liked one that I read a couple years ago called something like "Where the Hell is Sourdough Alaska", a biography from a guy that grew up in a little tiny town north of Glenallen along the highway during the 70's. Some of the stuff he wrote about had me grinning for days.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:14 PM

Sounds like good reading to me. Hey, Rotor, who is the author?

Old 05-18-2007, 12:05 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,489,560 times
Default sorry, but I don't know

Sorry, but I don't know the author. I loaned that book to someone else and it never came back, can't remember who's got it.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:38 PM

I went online at Barnes and Noble and found only this one title. I don't know if this is the one but its' called "Where the Hell is Sourdough, Alaska: Tales of Mischief, Males, and Mayhem by Josef Chmielowski. Its the only one I saw, Is this it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska