Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 04:26 PM

8 posts, read 16,621 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone is driving up December/January time frame? Was looking to form a Caravan for the trip. Anyone inerested?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 06:50 PM

2 posts, read 5,161 times
I'm planning on driving to Elmendorf around the beginning to mid of December from Keesler AFB. Right now I'm planning on catching the Ferry from Bellingham to Haines and then driving the rest of the way.

Goose

Old 09-11-2009, 07:42 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
How to Drive to Alaska in the Winter - ExploreNorth

Old 09-12-2009, 06:03 PM

thanks for the link, pretty prepaird for the drive though. Goose, im coming from MOODY AFB, would love to swing by and rodie it...anyone elts??

Last edited by c130mech; 09-12-2009 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-12-2009, 06:53 PM

Since the both of you are military, I'm sure you have your passports in hand.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:36 PM

yup. any other pointers? iv been told by a few ppl you need something like 1700 in cad cash otherwise border patrol wont let you in. any truth? i always carry cash on a trip (be it personal or military) however in todays day and age its all electronic... expecially so i can get the international extange rate instead of local rates...

Old 09-12-2009, 09:48 PM

I keep it all on the card. Everyone pretty much takes credit cards on the highway. Some gas stations consider our cards "foreign" which means you have to bring the card inside in order to get fuel. Stations like Fas Gas have a money back program all across Canada.

Litre Log

I used this when I drove down and back in May, I used the money back to buy more gas. Just remember to fill it out at their stations.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:25 AM

3 posts, read 4,232 times
I am relocating from Macon, GA to either Anchorage or Fairbanks... sometime late December to mid January. I was looking it as an adventure but now I'm really getting nervous. I will be travelling w/ my sister and 13 yr old daughter.. any suggestions???? I've tried to do research on the areas and things I will need. The bears really worry me in Anchorage and now I just found out about the whole heater thing for my engine..... HELP!

Old 09-13-2009, 01:49 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,218 times
That is in the middle of winter. Have you ever driven in those conditions? Do you have a 4 x 4 vehicle? You would be better to take the Ferry all the way from Bellingham but I don't know if it even runs at that time of the year. You would have to research that.
Generally, you are talking about taking your life, your daughters, and your sisters in your hands.
Cold is not something you fool with. It can kill you.
If you absolutely have to be there at that time, I would find a place to live, and fly there and use the money you save to buy what you need.
If the move looks like it will be permanent, you can arrange to ship whatever you need or to drive in the summer.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:50 AM

X2... i dont think the alcan during winter would be appropriate for a kid. As stated it is winter, and it is dangerous; there is no need to put your child in undue danger. If all ppl involved were an adult to say yes lets do it but as we all know "what can go wrong...will" basically why worry about a kid in sub zero temps? just my 2 cents... The other things that have been mentioned are all things to think about. Its going to be as cold as -50, so a block heater is going to be needed. Cold weather gear, spare parts and of course a plan incase something happens. Sorry to sound all grim reaper but it has the possibilities to have a bad outcome.
There are alternatives though -- if you really want to do the drive - as stated i am leaving that time frame and you are more than welcome to caravan with, infact i perfer it. My girlfriend doesn't like me going out on my own. HOwever, even with others I wouldn't suggest kids....but if you want to bring her that is your choice. Flying her up would probably be better for your nerves and her. I don't see a teenager taking well to sleeping in the car in sub zero temps if need be.
My girlfriend and I will be in Macon on 9 October. We would love to talk to you about the trip, if not to give advice but to help you make arrangements. She has lived there before and can let you know what to expect; and I have been planning this drive for a while. Just let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska