Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 03:31 PM

25 posts, read 47,890 times

Advertisements

Hey I'm a 22 year old male. I'm interested in going to trade school thinking mechanics. My plan is to move to alaska next summer after I save as much money as I can. I'd like to go to trade school and hopefully find some kinda side job. I enjoy hockey, hiking, camping, fishing, coffee shops, snow shoeing and just being outside. Im from minnesota so I can handle the cold. My question is where should I move. I hear anchorage has the most jobs and such but what about some smaller towns. Appreciate any reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 03:56 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,969,096 times
Check out Alaska Vocational Technical Center in Seward. Welcome to the Alaska Vocational Technical Center (AVTEC)

Old 09-15-2009, 04:54 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,550,069 times
I believe the university in Juneau offers vocational certificates. There is a ice rink and I believe there are adult leagues. There are plenty of opportunities for the other activities here too.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:31 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,658,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhockey86 View Post
Hey I'm a 22 year old male. I'm interested in going to trade school thinking mechanics. My plan is to move to alaska next summer after I save as much money as I can. I'd like to go to trade school and hopefully find some kinda side job. I enjoy hockey, hiking, camping, fishing, coffee shops, snow shoeing and just being outside. Im from minnesota so I can handle the cold. My question is where should I move. I hear anchorage has the most jobs and such but what about some smaller towns. Appreciate any reply.
Hockey means Fairbanks or Juneau, as well as Anchorage. Fishing would be best in Juneau. Hiking is a toss up, camping and snow shoeing are best in Fairbanks. Coffee shops I don't know about.

If you think Minnesota qualifies you as a cold weather person... go to Fairbanks and see if you can handle something that is actually cold. Otherwise, stay south of the Alaska Range. :-)

Old 09-15-2009, 06:16 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,861,039 times
As a former Minnesotan, even with winter camping past Duluth in a tent...I would take Floyds advice...

Last edited by Grannysroost; 09-15-2009 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: Miserable versus comfortable...2 different things...

Old 09-15-2009, 07:41 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,889,083 times
Ya know, it's funny that some of the people I have seen that best handle the cold are transplanted southerners. I grew up in Fairbanks and I am shivering in Anchorage and they are running around in shorts. Maybe it's the humidity?

Old 09-15-2009, 08:54 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,150,019 times
A friend of mine is the same way, she goes to UAF and when I pick her up from Fairbanks and drive to Anchorage, she's freezing. I'm freezing when I'm up in Fairbanks!

Old 09-19-2009, 08:54 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhockey86 View Post
First, find your trade school. Then apply for financial aid if you qualify. Then get yourself a job either waiting tables or tending bar at one of the seasonal resorts for the summer. The reason I say that is because it's the best way for someone your age to make a fairly decent amount of money. There are all sorts of places to work and most of them offer some sort of employee housing. By the time the season is over, it will be time for school to start, so you'll be able to move to wherever the school is. After you get settled for school hit up the local coffee shop for part time work. You might have to deal with out of state tuition.

I'm thinking Juneau would be a good fit for you; provided the school is what you're looking for.

If you need ideas/advice about where to apply, let me know. Most seasonal positions can be applied for online; just make sure your references are in order.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-19-2009 at 09:14 PM..

Old 09-20-2009, 07:42 PM

886 posts, read 5,717,668 times
Fairbanks is where its at. I am from MN as well. UAF offers automotive programs.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:12 AM

25 posts, read 47,890 times
hey guys thanx for the advice. yeah im excited for the chance to feel some real cold I love the cold. I worked out in the middle of north dakota last jan. outside for 10 hrs a day in below 40 and worse. So im leanin towards fairbanks but I will have to check out more schools I guess. Looks like i'll stick to juneau fairbanks and anchorage for what seems like better work oppurtunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska