Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 04:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,146 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am currently considering taking a job at Ft. Greely and moving to Delta Junction. I really could use some awesome advice about anything you can think of that would be useful for someone in my situation. I know there are other posts, but everyone has a unique situation so I'll list mine here:

First of all, I am a single male i my mid thirties and not military so I will not be moving on base. I will be moving up with my 9 month golden retriever so I'll need to find housing that can accommodate us both. I will have a job so I wont be blindly coming with no income.

So the questions I have start with the move itself? I drive a vw jetta car .. late model.. front wheel drive. I will have to drive up there in mid october from the lower 48. What are the roads like? Will I need tire chains and/or studded snow tires yet or can I wait until I get to Alaska? Is this vehicle okay for that area as long as I get a heater installed in the engine block?

Next, where is a good place to live that takes pets and wont break the bank for someone just starting out? Furnished would be preferred, but if now where do you get pots and pans, bedding, furniture, etc?

Winter is coming so I have no idea what to expect in the areas of expenses. I know heating is very expensive. How much money will I need to make to survive? How much do you think the move would cost if just driving a car from texas, including settling in costs? I ask this because I realise that many people have also made this transition and I would love to learn from you.

Is there high speed internet in the town that is not satellite? Are there areas to avoid moving to as a single person? What is in the area business-wise like food places, shops, etc. Before I get "this isn't the mall of america", I do realise that.. but I need to know what to expect. I'm not a city person and will enjoy the beauty and solitude of the area.

Anything else you guys and gals can tell me would be such a good help. It's overwhelming to try to figure this out on short notice especially when my move is at my own expense. I'm sure I've forgotten many question.. so please feel free to fill in any possible gaps.

Thank you very much!

thomas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 02:36 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,889,083 times
I am from Delta Junction (not currently living there) and there are several restaurants in town with a variety of types of food. There is one grocery store, the IGA and there is a commissary on Ft. Greely which you probably will have privileges to shop in. There really are no places a single person would not want to live, but there are a lot of moose walking around and some bear on the outskirts of town. For rentals, check out the Delta Wind or the Delta News Web online, they have classifieds. Your best bet would be to rent a place with heat included in your rent payment. The town is not hooked up to a natural gas line so heating oil is delivered to tanks. Most people in town shop for housewares, groceries etc in Fairbanks, 100 miles to the north. There are also used items for sale in town, but some of them are circa-1970 style. People there are generally helpful and friendly but like everywhere you can find those that don't have your better interests in mind. The main roads in town are very well maintained but you will need studded tires and an engine heater. Your car should be fine, lots of people in town drive small cars. I can't give you any advice about driving up from Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska