Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:50 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,364,055 times

Advertisements

Hi Lyoness! Yikes, we did it very leisurely too, so our itinerary won't help ya either. I think you could make it to WA from your state in 5 days easy, to give yourself a little wiggle room.
I know in October for us, the ferry only left Bellingham on Fridays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 10:48 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
There are some years when Ketchikan gets very little snow at all and it really doesn't get that cold.

A couple of years ago I flew down when we were having a cold snap all over the state---left Anch. at about -15 or so; it was 19 above in Ketchikan and felt colder than here.

I don't mean to deter you, but gloom and rain is a given more often than not. Everything seems waterlogged. When the sun's out, though, there doesn't seem to be noticeable humidity.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:27 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,802,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Someone in Talkeetna told me that Southeast really isn't Alaska. She was adamant about it & pulled out a large map to show me that she was telling the truth. She repeatedly used her hands to reinforce the stupidity of her words. Apparently because SE was the size of her finger & the rest of the state was larger than her hand it was supposed to mean something. I didn't buy anything at her store.
Sounds like something Palin would say.....

Old 09-23-2009, 10:35 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,540,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
It's the long periods of cloudy days that I'm worried I won't handle well. I have no problem with cold, tons of snow and shorter days in the winter (we have that here to an extent), but cloudy, gloomy, rainy days tend to wear me down even here......

I'm trying to have a plan just in case I have to move quickly as it looks like they only have one ferry that only leaves on Fridays in October.
You'll have to figure there will be months where you won't see the sun because of clouds and rain. Sometimes those are consecutive months. The sunny days can be some of the nicest, but there are few of them.

There is only one run from Bellingham each week, any time of the year. There are between 2-4 departures from Prince Rupert each week, so you have more options if you can leave from there, plus it's about a 6 hour trip to Ketchikan and much cheaper.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:33 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,686,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
There are between 2-4 departures from Prince Rupert each week, so you have more options if you can leave from there, plus it's about a 6 hour trip to Ketchikan and much cheaper.
Awesome advice. I saved a lot money by going through Prince Rupert.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:43 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,943,271 times
Thanks so much for all the help! I can't rep a one of ya yet, sorry . I hadn't thought much about Prince Rupert, but that would save a ton, I wouldn't have to have a cabin! So, since I'm driving alone I'm thinking I should be safe to allow myself 7 days? I don't want to push myself too hard as I'm not use to driving like that, and I don't want to set a goal of certain miles per day. Stiffneck do you live on Ketchikan?

Old 09-23-2009, 05:51 PM

I used to live in Ketchikan. We moved to Anchorage over the summer. The drive to Prince Rupert is pretty easy. I've driven it at all times of the year.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:22 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,540,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
Thanks so much for all the help! I can't rep a one of ya yet, sorry . I hadn't thought much about Prince Rupert, but that would save a ton, I wouldn't have to have a cabin! So, since I'm driving alone I'm thinking I should be safe to allow myself 7 days? I don't want to push myself too hard as I'm not use to driving like that, and I don't want to set a goal of certain miles per day. Stiffneck do you live on Ketchikan?
Seven days should be plenty. That would be about 400 miles per day and you should be able to do better than that. If you do go to Prince Rupert, remember you'll need a passport and you might have to get there the day before, depending on when the ferry leaves (have to be there a couple of hours before).

Old 09-24-2009, 12:32 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,943,271 times
I checked it out, the drive to Prince Rupert is olny about 400 miles further, and the fare is about $350 less, plus the cost of a cabin for 2 days if I took the ferry from Bellingham. I got my passport already (thought I was gonna get to drive the Alcan last spring), so I feel pretty comfortable knowing more. Stiffneck how do you think the cost of living compares in Anchorage to Ketchikan? And if I may, can I asked why you moved, as in cost of living or weather related?

Old 09-24-2009, 05:47 PM

I personally think the cost of living in Anchorage is much cheaper than in Ketchikan. The weather is different though. Especially the winters. We lived in Anchorage back in the early to mid 90's. We were just ready for a change plus 2 of my semi-adult children live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska