Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 04:39 PM

234 posts, read 718,847 times

Advertisements

I suppose we can try to avoid downtown as much as possible. I have lived in so many cities and so I am used to it.

Thanks for the info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 09:47 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
If you like cross country skiing, then Fairbanks has more trails. We have drunks around the downtown area, but not like Anchorage. I have lived in both places, and found Anchorage to be a lot more dangerous to live than Fairbanks. However, there are certain areas in both that one should avoid, except that Anchorage has more of those areas than Fairbanks. There is a lot more gang activity in Anchorage than Fairbanks, too.

There are trails all over UAF, Fairbanks, and North Pole. The nicer ones in North Pole are at the Chena River Recreation area. These are maintained during the winter and summer, are well-marked, and popular. There are a lot of winter activities (dog sledding, skiing, races, etc.) around Fairbanks and North Pole. If you can handle the cold, then Fairbanks or North Pole should be good choices.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:54 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
If you wish to avoid chronic inebriates there is a big problem with that in Fairbanks too, but I think it may be focused in the downtown area. The Fairbanks Daily News Miner just did a series of stories about the problem.
Can you please post a link to this? I looked up Fairbanks Daily News Miner with no luck. I do not see how someone could be homeless in a place that gets -60 degrees, and still be alive?

Old 09-24-2009, 11:31 PM

81 posts, read 301,471 times
newsminer.com • Fairbanks, Alaska

Old 09-25-2009, 01:36 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Can you please post a link to this? I looked up Fairbanks Daily News Miner with no luck. I do not see how someone could be homeless in a place that gets -60 degrees, and still be alive?
We wonder about that ourselves. It just seems unfathomable. Perhaps alcohol acts as an anti-freeze?

Old 09-26-2009, 04:17 AM

234 posts, read 718,847 times
Ray:

We love cross country skiing, hiking, and want to try skijorring with our dogs. I was hoping Fairbanks would have some good trails for those sorts of activities.

I am not so worried about homeless and drunks (I have been both, I know what it's like) - I am more worried about the *sober* gang members who shoot and kill people in the middle of the day, in the middle of town (happens here in Anchorage far too often). Some guy got shot and killed in the PETCO parking lot recently. It is so unpredictable. I suppose if I am not a gang member I should be OK. I also am saddened by a recent accident in Anchorage where a kid got run over by a car on Old Seward, and his head fell off. How it happened I have no idea, but I really would like to live somewhere with less traffic and hopefully better drivers. Not too many good drivers here in Anchorage. What's the big rush anyway? SLOW DOWN and watch out for kids, for crying out loud.

I really appreciate the information, Ray.

By the way, WHY do people have LOWERED trucks here? I see so many in Anchorage and am so confused. haha. IF I could afford to have my 4x4 lifted I would definitely consider it, but LOWERED??? In the snow???? Whaaa???

Old 09-26-2009, 12:39 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
Anchorage has great trails for hiking, walking dogs, track skiing, cross country skiinh & skate skiing & skijorring, running and biking. The trick is to find a place to live right on the trail system so you can run, bike, walk dogs, ski right out your backdoor. The trail system is extensive & traverses all of town, across bicentennial up to the hillside & down to Kincaid. We are outdoors, active types with a dog and love Anchorage for the trail system. Plus, the Chugach of Anchorage bowl is a hiker's dream with its mountains.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:17 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak.nessa View Post
Ray:

We love cross country skiing, hiking, and want to try skijorring with our dogs. I was hoping Fairbanks would have some good trails for those sorts of activities.

I am not so worried about homeless and drunks (I have been both, I know what it's like) - I am more worried about the *sober* gang members who shoot and kill people in the middle of the day, in the middle of town (happens here in Anchorage far too often). Some guy got shot and killed in the PETCO parking lot recently. It is so unpredictable. I suppose if I am not a gang member I should be OK. I also am saddened by a recent accident in Anchorage where a kid got run over by a car on Old Seward, and his head fell off. How it happened I have no idea, but I really would like to live somewhere with less traffic and hopefully better drivers. Not too many good drivers here in Anchorage. What's the big rush anyway? SLOW DOWN and watch out for kids, for crying out loud.

I really appreciate the information, Ray.

By the way, WHY do people have LOWERED trucks here? I see so many in Anchorage and am so confused. haha. IF I could afford to have my 4x4 lifted I would definitely consider it, but LOWERED??? In the snow???? Whaaa???
The gang violence and death has increased steadily in Anchorage for the past few years. This week a 17-year old girl who wasn't a gang member just got killed. The gang activity also takes place in the high schools as you can see with all the fights students are involved with.

The drivers aren't any better in Squarebanks and vicinity, but at least these aren't as numerous as in the big city of Los Anchorage (this area isn't as populated). The more people, the more crime. By the way, maybe the "low riders" really believe that Anchorage is "Los Anchorage"

Old 09-27-2009, 10:22 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
Default bad winter drivers in Anchorage

Ray... you are right about the bad drivers in Anchorage. I have had someone hit me three times now during Anchorage winters. Last winter was the worst. My toyota will never quite be the same. Luckily my back injury got better.

We stay away from potential gang violence by staying home at night, not an viable option for everyone.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:54 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,854 times
There are gangs in Fairbanks, there was a story in the News Miner this weekend about the Crips and the Bloods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska