Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 11:14 PM

45 posts, read 142,307 times

Advertisements

Hello, recently moved to Anchorage from th south.

I've seen several posts about block heaters: what they do, who needs them, etc... but I can't seem to find information on where to get one.

Could anyone recommend a good place that is not too expensive? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 12:01 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/alask...ck-heater.html

Old 09-25-2009, 08:17 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,563,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linz98144 View Post
Hello, recently moved to Anchorage from th south.

I've seen several posts about block heaters: what they do, who needs them, etc... but I can't seem to find information on where to get one.

Could anyone recommend a good place that is not too expensive? Thanks
Any auto parts store, Fred's, Sears, Wally World...

When it is sub zero, and your oil is like chocolate pudding, the engine won't turn over fast enough to start. The Block heater heats the block to where it will start.

A good oil pan heater don't hurt either, and they are easy to install at a shop if you are out of your league in these matters.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:15 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,758 times
It doesn't hurt to get one of them wrap-around battery heaters too, while yer at it...

Bud

Old 09-25-2009, 07:47 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
If you have a vehicle that's still under warranty, let the dealer install the block heater so you don't void the warranty. A block heater installation requires that you drain the anti-freeze from the block, and then remove the correct freeze plug from the block. The correct block heater is pretty close to the OD of the freeze plug. The heater has a large O-ring, and an anchor. You have to lubricate the O-ring with antifreeze, gently install the heater on the block with the heating element in the correct direction (in accordance to the installation instructions), and then tighten the anchor's screw so that the prongs or legs of the anchor spread-out across the freeze plug hole inside the block. I can do this work with my eyes closed, but if you haven't done such before, don't do it now. It's very possible for a block heater to fall-out of the freeze-plug hole when you are driving and the anti-freeze is pressurized if the work is done improperly. For that reason alone, I let the dealer be responsible for any damage to the motor.

After the heater is installed, then you plug the included extension cord to the heater. The next step is to route the heater's extension cord away from fuel and oil lines, and from moving parts, belts, etc. You can use plastic wire ties to hold the extension cord in place.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:39 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
It doesn't hurt to get one of them wrap-around battery heaters too, while yer at it...

Bud
For just a heater, a 25 watt pad placed under the battery is better.

But it's best to install a 1 amp trickle charger. The charge actually puts more heat into the battery than a heater does, plus in insures a full charge is always available.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:47 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,242,370 times
Just make sure your battery is in good condition, your anti-freeze is up to where it should be for this area and you should be fine. I've lived in this cold a climate all my life and have never needed a block heater. Now, if you were to be up near Fairbanks, that may be a different story.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:30 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,581,875 times
For Anchorage I would recommend a block heater. A battery blanket is overkill for Anchorage, although needed in Fairbanks. If your battery is over five years old, consider getting a new one. I bought mine right after a big freeze. All the stores sold out, so after they restocked, all the batteries had just been manufactured. You don't want to get a battery that's been sitting on the shelf for a year or two.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:08 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,225,839 times
The shelf life of a battery after manufacture is 6 months without a refresh charge. Period. Any battery has a date code stamped into the case or label somewhere. And if you purchase a battery, ask to see it. If the code is not easily translateable (ie. MMYY) have the dealer verify the code prior to the sale. Most reliable battery retail stores will not maintain any stock they cannot reasonably be sure of selling before the 6 month mark.

The 6 months is due to sulfation buildup on the plates of the battery. Any battery that has been istored (in your garage, say as a backup) without charging for longer than a year should be disposed of. The sulfation (lead sulfate) can cause a fire or even explode if it is hooked up to a charging source.

Just a safety note there. Most cut sheets for batteries have a note or disclaimer on warranty after the 6 month mark concerning charge.

Sorry to hijack the thread there.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:33 AM

19 posts, read 60,116 times
Default Engine block heater

You can order one from E-Tip inc, online. engine block heater

Last edited by CityFriend1; 10-02-2009 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: mis-spell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska