Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 05:28 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,384,617 times

Advertisements

I can imagine Nome being a fun place to visit during that time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 07:31 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,028,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
LOL. I'm arguing with Bill Clinton.
Why all the gratuitous insults? Just read what was actually said and stop making things up.
Hey, nice to see that we finally agree on something - being compared to Bill Clinton is an insult!

Old 10-16-2009, 11:40 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,658,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom UK View Post
Ok, still looking at End March (18th) / Early April (5th).. Thinking Barrow for a week.. then down south for 10 days. At least these are the dates I've found flights.. Also options in February..

What is possible in Barrow without spending a fortune.. Are there any cheaper options to the hotels? How can you get out of town? 4x4? snowmobile? How much would guides charge? Also what is this trip south Floyd?

The Spring festival is the first week of April? What goes on?
The end of March is a good time, in terms of weather and sunlight, to see the Arctic. By the third week in March we get just over 12 hours of direct sunlight, with about 1-1/2 hours of civil twilight before and after (about 15 hours of light per day). It usually is also fairly warm by our standards (probably with temperatures ranging from -20F to + 20F), though windy (10-20mph most of the time). Definitely a dose of Arctic Winter!

Note that February is much colder, and darker. But seeing how we live in winter is also very interesting, and if you can manage to get lucky and come just when we have Qivgiq (the Messenger Feast, but dates won't be known until maybe December), it would be a very special treat. (Use google to learn more about it.)

The Spring Festival at the beginning of April includes a parade, lots of Arctic games for all ages, indoor activities and outdoor activities. It is intended to be a local community celebration. Things like harpoon throwing contests... :-)

You have three options for hotels in Barrow, and in March you might even get off fairly "cheap". I wouldn't recommend the King Eider hotel, but either the Airport Inn or the Top of the World Hotel are okay. They are not inexpensive. In March you can probably get a room (I mean a bare dormatory room, with a good Internet connection, but with no running water except in the communal facility down the hall) at the NARL Hotel. It is operated by the Barrow Arctic Science Consortium (BASC) to provide rooms to visiting scientists, but they'll rent a room to anyone if they have the space, which in March they almost certainly will. The problem is that it is out at the Ilisagvik College (the old Naval Arctic Research Lab area), about 6 miles from town. Cab fare to town is $9 a trip. I'll haul you back and forth as much as possible though, but it does mean extended stays in town. It's just a minor inconvenience, not a big deal.

Snowmachines are pretty much the way to get away from town at that time of the year. Which probably means you aren't going to do much! It requires some serious clothing (as in several hundred dollars worth) to go snowmachining here in March. You can also freeze yourself quite easily on a 4-wheeler just riding around town! One thing that can be done (it costs about $120 for an 8 hour tour) is visit Point Barrow in a 4-wheel drive van or Humvee. There is a remote chance of seeing a polar bear in the process.

The "trip south" that I mentioned can be done on a snowmachine at that time of year, but from some time in mid-June onward it can be done with a 4-wheeler. The idea is to basically jump across the tundra to various lakes, and follow the edges of the lakes southward. There are places where fishing is possible, caribou can be found, all sorts of birds nest, and there are a few cabins that may or may not be available (or may be occupied and might invite you in for coffee and caribou soup).

Here is an example cabin, though this one is on the ocean beach southwest of Barrow about 18 miles.
Hence of the various places one can get to out of town, Point Barrow is the only one that is likely at any time of the year. The best time is May and June. In late July we can get a little ways down the beach to the southwest, and as more ice melts the distance become greater. The realistic limit is just over 20 miles, and it is August before we can get that far.

And at any given time, the beach is not safe if there is any significant wave action. So nothing there is a guarantee. Any trip like that depends on too many variables to call ahead of time. We just do whatever it is that can be done the day you get off the airplane.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:52 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
A problem I can see with visiting remote villages in Alaska is that most aren't connected to the road system, and flying in is quite expensive.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:31 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,969,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
A problem I can see with visiting remote villages in Alaska is that most aren't connected to the road system, and flying in is quite expensive.
Lodging too... Don't you have a guest room Floyd?

Old 10-18-2009, 12:09 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,150,019 times
Can see it now...Barkley, Floyd, and Majik having coffee at Pepe's.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:29 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,969,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I hope we all don't have bad gas.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:32 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,028,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
The UFC should buy the rights to that and broadcast it on PPV!

Old 10-18-2009, 03:36 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,699,635 times
I'd like to have coffee with those three but at Sam & Lee's instead of Pepe's.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:11 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,861,039 times
I'd like to be a mouse in the corner, and add a few more to the group
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska