Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 08:46 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,233,078 times

Advertisements

<Mal starts putiing his "Outsiders and their sins" soapbox a little closer to the fire>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 09:03 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,805,867 times
When will people realize that Alaska isn't a damn petting zoo like Yellowstone.
You go 30 miles outside of any city limits you are no longer a resident or a visitor. You are part of the food chain. Your position in it is up to you....

Old 06-05-2007, 12:51 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,904 times
Now I know why all you up in Alaska need firearms.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:36 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,489,560 times
Default anyone with a brain knows that

"Anyone with a brain knows that"....hmmmm. We seem to have stumbled upon the basis of the Treadwell problem. The guy was a documented, certified, recorded-on-video-for-posterity idiot. With a terminally gullible girlfriend. End of story.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:05 AM

341 posts, read 1,019,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
When will people realize that Alaska isn't a damn petting zoo like Yellowstone.
You go 30 miles outside of any city limits you are no longer a resident or a visitor. You are part of the food chain. Your position in it is up to you....
C'mon Danny, those animals won't bother you will they ? See I already learned on the Discovery Channel that a grizz is as afraid of us as we are him.
Now tell us a real life-or-death Alaskan experience you had up there, and don't fabricate it like the guy who placed the rotting moose carcass in his driveway and the scavenging bear snacked on it or we will know it. Like that bear really attacked the moose. Right !
I dunno, but you could be some guy who lives in Boston or Philly who just fantasizes about adventures in Alaska as a woodsman ? Right ?

Old 06-06-2007, 10:20 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,845,945 times
A grizzly fears nothing. They may choose to avoid you. But they do not fear you. Why do you find it so hard to believe a bear can kill a moose? And up here we don't need to stage anything. There are both bear and moose in anyones driveway, at anytime. Yes the damn things run loose in Alaska. You just never know where you'll meet one.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:35 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,233,078 times
The paper here in Anchorage on Monday related the story of a grizz killing 2 moose calves in 2 days up on Hillside. The bear took the first one into the woods but ate the second in the middle of a cul-de-sac in lower Hillside. Yep, we staked out those calves for pretty pics to send to the relatives Outside.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:07 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,805,867 times
One week ago.......in Hoonah, just outside of town. A gift from a friend at work yesterday.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by DannyL; 06-06-2007 at 01:20 PM..

Old 06-18-2007, 09:26 AM

9 posts, read 27,937 times
Default My kid says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Fishing soon, yeah! ADN fishing report resumes this Thursday.
...that we have to mail his guns to him...so he can go fishing! Is there any advice that we can pass along to him about bears & fishing in Kenai? I mean, LOL, other than:

1. let the bear have the fish--your life is worth more than the fish

2. run away--quick!

3. play dead if you can't run

4. ALWAYS FISH WITH SOMEONE ELSE

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated

Old 06-18-2007, 10:33 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,845,945 times
Do not run away! You may become instant prey. Walk away slowly, waving arms or yelling. But do not run. A bear can out run a horse. I would play dead if a brown bear did not exit stage left and continued to advance on my posotion. A blackie I would fight to the death. But only if yelling and waving did not turn them away. You walk into a sow with cubs...your own your own. I've been charged by a brown bear sow that had 2 cubs. Fortunately she stopped 20 foot short, gave me a look that would curdle milk, turned and walked away. She very easily could have shredded me on the spot.
Make sure when fishing to constantly watch your surroundings. Especially behind your back. And I don't recommend fishing at night. Thats when a majority of bears are up and hunting/feeding wandering along the rivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska