Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 12:18 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,716,892 times

Advertisements

welcome! You'll love it here!

Ps. Dont move to Anchorage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 01:08 PM

457 posts, read 1,016,688 times
Looks like college isnt on your mind. College is a waste of money for 70% of grads.

I would advise you DO NOT HESITATE, at your age?-- get your AZZ up there asap.

You Oakley said quote "" : On the other hand I don't wanna move out there and something go bad and then I am homeless.""" --- end.

You got to be kidding!, who you been talking to? Be a man tell the world to go to hell and be a Man! Buy a van and live in it will keep you from being homeless.

Hell it can go bad in kansas . Still livin with mom and dad?

Just dont go live in the woods or a bus type aproach. Get in the industrial job market-- roomate with a college kid.

By a canoe and explore on weekends. Go to fairbanks not anchorage.. The bush is closer .

Old 12-19-2009, 02:06 PM

89 posts, read 340,202 times
You can probably pick up some farm work around Palmer/Wasilla for the summer. If your a hard worker you'll do fine. Check on craigslist for a room mate situation when you get close to the time you plan to leave. In the meantime Save! Save! Save! Good luck and be safe!

Old 12-20-2009, 04:18 AM

218 posts, read 518,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Uh oh.

Stiff and quakinator are absolutely right, lots of seasonal opportunities that will give you a good chance to see part of the state and look around for year round work. You can apply at Princess and a lot of other places online, look here:

CoolWorks.com - Summer Jobs and Seasonal Jobs in Great Places

Most of these places provide employee housing. And if you get a job with Princess or another corporation, let them pay for your plane ticket because they get corporate rates. They'll still take it out of your check but it will cost you less than if you bought the ticket yourself.

Going to school as another poster suggested is a great idea but keep in mind that out of state tuition is prohibitive. A lot of young people your age work in Alaska to help pay for college in their home states, though.
Haha, Stiff, quake and Met all agree on something? I came up here on a whim when I was in college. Princess recruited on my campus and I said why the heck not, pay for a bit of school, experience something new. I came up, found a place to live through a friend (I paid $200/month but that's cause I had a friend connection, your rent will probably be more in the 4-500/month). I flew my GF at the time up, we hiked around a week during the summer and I proposed to her up Hatcher Pass and the rest is history. I fell in love with the state and with a woman up here, and now 7 years later we moved back here after school, with our 2 kids and we're loving it. You never know what life will bring you, but you can sure decide what you're going to do with your life. Like manmountain said, you can always find a way to make it, it may not be pretty, you may have to let go of your pride if things go bad, but if you have it in your heart and mind, you can make it happen. Reading these boards will prepare you immensely for what it's going to take to make it work, keep reading! Being prepared is of utmost importance, almost anyone can survive a summer up here (I almost said anyone, but then I thought of my sister-in-law), it's the winters that can and will punish you if not prepared. Good luck.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:24 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Kid, save up your money, come up this summer and get a seasonal job at one of the touristy places. Work hard, apply for any permanent year round job you can find and it will all work out.
I agree totally.

I'm all for you going, just do it right and have your ducks in order before you go. Don't rush, if you have to wait a little longer to have more money then just be patient.

I moved out west to the Rockies when I was 20 from Florida, on a Greyhound bus. Man was it worth it.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:45 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakinator View Post
Haha, Stiff, quake and Met all agree on something? .
There are probably many things we agree on. I enjoy posting about helping people that are thinking of or are in the process of relocating to Alaska.

The tourism business is a good place to seek initial employment if you don't have something lined up. However, for the upcoming 2010 season I would start applying and getting my applications in now!! With the decline in tourism numbers, declines in spending and a crappy economy there is going to be lots of competition for those jobs this coming summer. Especially the ones where the employers provide housing.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:46 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
Ever notice that the OP's never return?

Old 12-21-2009, 08:17 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Ever notice that the OP's never return?
That's okay. We usually scare them off pretty quickly. Reality is tough.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,195 times
Default Reccomnedation

hey dude,
I lived in Alaska, and it was plain awesome! If you go to live there though, you should think about getting an R.V.- it is really useful! You like, NEED to move there! I reccomend Fairbanks or Anchorage!
fungun!

Old 03-29-2010, 12:27 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAAngels View Post
Actually It would be better to read the book "Into the Wild". Much more informative and less glorified than the movie. Yeah that guy died from eating berries but he sure did well for awhile. Anyway that's a whole different discussion. Read Into the Wild, and Alaska by James Michener while you are waiting to turn 18.

I just moved from Kansas myself Wichita is depressing I can see why you want to leave. Definitely not a hiker or camper paradise.
I think the berries was a twist for the movie plot, the kid was starving long before that because he didn't know what he was doing. He was at the stage of starvation he was probably eating trees and shoe leather...

I flew over the bus when he was there a number of times, and he was trying to hide, didn't want anyone to know he was there or in trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska