Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 11:52 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,591,734 times

Advertisements

This is a painting I did some years back when the Olympics were held in Atlanta, thus the bears with scoring cards. Had about a 1,000 shirts printed up and they sold all over in Nenana back then.

Use to drive an old 57 Jeep back and forth to town, and it would do a top speed of about 45 MPH without the engine sounding like it was coming apart. Anyway, I would drive along the edge of the highway to keep from getting run over and during the summer months, there is a lot of people from all over the world that come to Alaska to ride bikes all over the road system.

I would come up behind some guy that had been pedaling all day long and was looking for a place to make camp for the night... I would pull up beside them and yell "Did you see the size of that bear that just ran behind you!"... Of course they didn't, but they put it in high gear and would pedal another ten miles between them and the spot a "Bear" crossed the road.

In town at the local Gas Station, I would see these guys with their bikes taking a break and would go and tell them that I am impressed that they were taking on such a dangerous trip on a bike... They would kind of ignore me and say it wasn't such a big deal....

I would then tell them about what the locals called these guys riding their bikes... "Meals on Wheels", which of course caught their attention at that point and they would respond with a "WHAT?". Then I would start telling them about all the biker's that disappeared on the highway while riding their bikes, if we were lucky we would find what was left of the bike the next spring after the snow melted... The Critters would just snatch them off the bikes when they weren't looking behind them....

Anyway, they would be a bit wide eyed at that point then go inside the gas station and see the shirts with the "Meals on Wheels" on them... I just didn't tell them I did the shirts, but I did point them out to them and said "See"....

When they got home, they had stories of the dangerous trip that they just had made... Don't really know of anyone that got eaten by critters on their bike rides, some got hit by cars...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 12:01 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,421,603 times
Brilliant!

Old 12-24-2009, 12:05 AM

"In the Wild" you have plenty of time to come up with odd stuff... Winters are way to dark and too long not to be planning something for summer!

One of these days I may do the snow snake shirt... Got that story all polished, just got to get around to the drawing of the snow snake in full attack mode....

Old 12-24-2009, 01:14 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,274,461 times
First time Star has made me laugh. He may be turning liberal. Man the stations, guys!

Old 12-24-2009, 03:20 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,873,248 times
That is hilarious!

Old 12-24-2009, 09:25 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,817,046 times
ya.....he's finally opening the blinders a little

Old 12-25-2009, 12:23 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,060,191 times
Star, do you know the woman in Nenana who's known as 'the dragon lady'? I met her last fall and she seemed nice enough to me but it appears that the locals have another opinion! She either owned or managed the Two Choice Cafe (take it or leave it) and now owns at least one business and some rental cabins.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzzz01 View Post
Star, do you know the woman in Nenana who's known as 'the dragon lady'? I met her last fall and she seemed nice enough to me but it appears that the locals have another opinion! She either owned or managed the Two Choice Cafe (take it or leave it) and now owns at least one business and some rental cabins.
Yes, know her very well. The name is appropriate too without getting into major details.

Having said that, she also brings the majority of the tourist in off the Highway which nobody else does much of, most just zoom on by. She has a couple of well decorated stores that are very appealing or historic in value. She has the tour buses stop by with "Perks" for the drivers, mostly to have the tourist shop at her gift shops, but a few do wander off into to other parts of town.

There is a famous singing husband/wife group in Anchorage, they sing ballads to many of the tourist in Alaska and have a lot of sales of music. This gal in Nenana and her ex husband (who has been gone for years and has nothing to do with her) have the same first names, she will stand out on the sidewalk and play a acordian and sing songs and will tell the tourist she is that famous group and will sell them cd's of her (Their) music... Tad slight of hand...

Old 12-25-2009, 11:44 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,060,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Yes, know her very well. The name is appropriate too without getting into major details.

Having said that, she also brings the majority of the tourist in off the Highway which nobody else does much of, most just zoom on by. She has a couple of well decorated stores that are very appealing or historic in value. She has the tour buses stop by with "Perks" for the drivers, mostly to have the tourist shop at her gift shops, but a few do wander off into to other parts of town.

There is a famous singing husband/wife group in Anchorage, they sing ballads to many of the tourist in Alaska and have a lot of sales of music. This gal in Nenana and her ex husband (who has been gone for years and has nothing to do with her) have the same first names, she will stand out on the sidewalk and play a acordian and sing songs and will tell the tourist she is that famous group and will sell them cd's of her (Their) music... Tad slight of hand...
She did seem like quite the character...thanks for the interesting info!

Old 12-26-2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzzz01 View Post
She did seem like quite the character...thanks for the interesting info!
Well the show is worth the price of admission... which of course is free....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: