Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 09:28 PM

355 posts, read 818,492 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if there are any teachers on this board? Does anyone know if there are any special requirements for Alaska teachers or any incentive programs for teachers coming to Alaska. My wife is getting her teaching degree from one of the best teaching colleges in the US, but I know some states have special tests that must be passed before someone can pursue a teaching career in their state. Some places require masters degrees. Jenn is going to have a elementary education degree with a minor in young childhood developement.

Any and all info is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 09:42 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Yeah, look here:

EED - Teacher Certification

Don't think there are any incentive programs and I believe there are three classes that are Alaska specific that are necessary for certification, unless they've changed that recently.

Look here too:

http://alaskateacher.org/doku.php?id=getting_certified (broken link)

Old 12-28-2009, 10:45 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,843 times
i'm a teacher. feel free to send me direct messages if you have any more questions...
if you are certified to teach in any other state, the state of alaska will recognize that. pretty much the only stipulation is that you have to take a couple of alaska-specific courses within your first two years. these can easily be accomplished online if you're not near one of the campuses (uaf's distance education is quite excellent). you have to do things regularly to stay certified, but the state makes it a point to keep the process simple and easy, as a lot of teachers come from out of state (myself included).

some districts offer signing bonuses (i think yukon flats does, probably a few others as well). besides that, i can't think of many other incentives. my district does cover local (the last leg of the flight) airfare for returning teachers, as well as paying for PRAXIS II testing and transportation/lodging to take the tests (something required under NCLB to ensure that teachers are highly qualified in each subject that they teach, kind of handy when a lot of bush teachers have to take multiple classes). there are other perks here and there, and the pay is better than most lower 48 states (though it does vary from district to district). all in all, i'd say that it's a good place to be a teacher.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:07 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
In smaller Alaska towns there is some exceptions to the teaching rules. If you have a skill and can pass a very intense background check, you can get a limited teaching certificate to that one school system.

I taught Auto Shop for a number of years under such a certificate. Although I only taught for two hours a day, I had a towing and repair shop of my own to run at the time. But could have done it full time if so desired.

It is a way to get teachers in a remote school system that would not normally have the draw to get someone to move there, but can take advantage of the local talent already there..

It would not apply to a larger School district like in Anchorage or Fairbanks. The school I taught at had a graduation class of 13 kids give or take a few each year from K thru 12.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:38 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Here are the Districts in my area of Alaska...

Untitled Document Lower Kuskokwim

YSD: About YSD

Kuspuk School District (http://www.kuspuk.org/moodle/ - broken link)

Lower Yukon School District

Old 12-29-2009, 07:33 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times
For AK licensure you need to take 2 courses:
1. Multicultural/Cross-Cultural Communication
2. Alaska Studies

I took them online from UAF before I even moved up to AK, a great way to get them out of the way with going to a class.

AK teachers must be highly qualified (HQT) in their area of certification.

AK offers a 1-yr. non-renewable license for teachers with licensure from another state. Within that time, one must pass one of the approved teacher exams:

EED - Teacher Certification

Some districts may offer a signing bonus, or within a district a particular need many come attached with a bonus as I believe World Languages in Anchorage School District offers a signing bonus of a $3000 at this time.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the info! Jenn will graduate in May...shes in the middle of her student teaching now.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 5,935 times
Hi Kyle, I'm also hoping to graduate in May. I begin student teaching the end of January after having to put it off for nearly 9 years. I'm hoping for more folk to contribute about teaching in Alaska. I'm currently in Southern California.
Kat

Old 12-31-2009, 08:52 AM

From looking online teaching jobs are abundant in Alaska, especially the smaller towns. Why is this?

Old 12-31-2009, 10:28 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
High turnover. They come out here for a year and freak on the prices and how remote it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska