Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 10:06 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,801,965 times

Advertisements

Floyd, I tried to send you a DM, but it doesn't work for me any more....it's info I don't want to post here ...

Old 01-01-2010, 03:18 AM

251 posts, read 679,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPF View Post
Ha... Ha! WWII ended in '45 their plight began in '67. Basic facts.
"Plight" ususally takes a few years to manifest itself, its basicly when one group is going well and has made advancements for themselves and another group that is still living in mud huts want to use some kind of legal trickery to get there fingers in the cookie jar. The only difference between the USA and alaska is we allowed the natives to make a mockery of our courts but isreal will not tolerate that from the palistinians, in fact the only reason the palistinians even exist is because isreal does not want to deal with the backlash from neighboring arab nations of which many of them are under some sort of dictatorship. There is alot of genuine plight in the world like the people in india and china or tabet but the alaska natives and palistinians dont fall into that boat. Someone who waits for real estate to be developed and then tries to claim some kind of legal trickery to sease assets is a scam artist. The USA has basicly turned into a bunch of idiots and thats why we are going down the tubes, you cant give away your national wealth to 3rd worlders and expect to maintain super power status, im not saying we should oppress them you just dont give stuff away to them and if they are forcing there hand to hard into the cookie jar you line them up and get rid of them.

It would be like if you built a house and some guy that lived in alaska longer than you have said he had rights to your home, you better believe he would be met with a .308 cal bullet if he tried to be to forcefull with that claim, but no the USA this day and time rolls over. We are like the irresponsible trust fund baby who forgot the hard work and all the natives daddy had to kill and the roads they had to build to get where we are today, oh they are the poeple of the earth lets give them 4 wheelers and hunting rifles and then allow them to dictate to us what we can and can not do. I just hope this system can hold up long enough to get me though my life because its definitly not sustainable.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:28 AM

471 posts, read 1,061,998 times
Alaska is actually going to take over russia and break off from the United States... We will have help from the Aliens in NOME (those people were not abducted, they were going up for meetings)

Old 01-01-2010, 05:17 AM

6,259 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
im not saying we should oppress them you just dont give stuff away to them and if they are forcing there hand to hard into the cookie jar you line them up and get rid of them.

We are like the irresponsible trust fund baby who forgot the hard work and all the natives daddy had to kill and the roads they had to build to get where we are today
You know rppearso..........every once in a great while your copious posts have very small points that are legitimate, and that I can grab a hold of and agree with you on.

Getting beyond your spelling and grammar though (which is lousy, but which I usually try and overlook because this is a forum and not school) there is a running theme throughout your posts that I find very disturbing.

"Getting rid of" inconvenient natives and (in another post) both on and off-duty feds, is offensive and inflammatory. At that point, whatever else you have to say is a lost cause.

Go eat a bran muffin and take a nap.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,508 times
As far as I know, Alaska - the only property which belonged to both Russia and America. We - your former colonies. In 1867 the U.S. bought Alaska from Russia, the resources were ruthlessly exploited, and our people remain illiterate. So Alaska was the worst example of capitalism.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:13 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
The point is that there was no agreement to buy the land and the land was not taken by force. People just moved in. You could say that the land occupied by non-natives was taken with "squatters rights", (prescriptive easement). Still, non-natives did not "squat" on all the land in Alaska so the natives finally asserted their ownership of what was left. They had legal right to it so the Feds and the State had to deal with it.

All the way back to the original poster...Russia didn't have much in way of a claim, they didn't sell much, and they wouldn't get much back if they tried.
Pretty much so.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:02 PM

24 posts, read 78,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saginn View Post
As far as I know, Alaska - the only property which belonged to both Russia and America. We - your former colonies. In 1867 the U.S. bought Alaska from Russia, the resources were ruthlessly exploited, and our people remain illiterate. So Alaska was the worst example of capitalism.
How did this thread end up with an attack on capitalism and the plight of Alaska natives????

The quoted post is nonsensical and ridiculous. Alaska natives cry and whine that their remote villages have extremely high costs of living rates, high crime rates, rampant addiction issues, high unemployment, poor infrastructure (waste management, etc) and the list goes on. They are of the opinion that they should be a highly respected, revered society when they are unable or unwilling to tackle those issues themselves. Their remote villages are just that - remote. They are places that few people would want to live. I can't grasp the concept that somehow I should feel responsible for their care and comfort when they are the ones who have decided to maintain the lifestyles they have chosen and that they live in areas where it is extremely expensive to maintain a standard of living comparable to highly populated areas.

It simply is not my responsibility. They claim to be exploited when all I see is their hands extended for more government money and support. The only solution for their woes if for them to assume personal accountability and responsibility and learn to adapt to the reality of the world. Recognize that the world has changed as it always had in the past and will continue to do so in the future. Every ehtnic group on this planet has faced exploitation and inequalities at some point. Those that groups that have flourished have been able to do so because they have adapted and learn to live in a world of change.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:07 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Colonialism wreaked havoc on Alaska Native peoples: Compass | adn.com

Old 01-01-2010, 01:37 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdkodiak View Post
How did this thread end up with an attack on capitalism and the plight of Alaska natives????

The quoted post is nonsensical and ridiculous. Alaska natives cry and whine that their remote villages have extremely high costs of living rates, high crime rates, rampant addiction issues, high unemployment, poor infrastructure (waste management, etc) and the list goes on. They are of the opinion that they should be a highly respected, revered society when they are unable or unwilling to tackle those issues themselves. Their remote villages are just that - remote. They are places that few people would want to live. I can't grasp the concept that somehow I should feel responsible for their care and comfort when they are the ones who have decided to maintain the lifestyles they have chosen and that they live in areas where it is extremely expensive to maintain a standard of living comparable to highly populated areas.

It simply is not my responsibility. They claim to be exploited when all I see is their hands extended for more government money and support. The only solution for their woes if for them to assume personal accountability and responsibility and learn to adapt to the reality of the world. Recognize that the world has changed as it always had in the past and will continue to do so in the future. Every ehtnic group on this planet has faced exploitation and inequalities at some point. Those that groups that have flourished have been able to do so because they have adapted and learn to live in a world of change.
I don't even know where to start with this...They were here first the same as the Natives in the -48, who technically probably have been more 'screwed' than the Alaskan natives. They live remote, yes, because that is their culture and home, or for some it is. There are people that have been on-grid not in the culture looking for off-grid to be more self-sufficient. The -48 technology is giving people all over, not just Alaska, the extra expense and reliance on things that weren't there 20, 30, 40 years ago. Some were fed the 'luxuries' and are now paying the price as that is how they were raised with the world of change. Should everyone succumb and move to a city due to financial issues, change...what would that accomplish...do the rest of us that aren't native give up our beliefs, etc., to conform to the norm?

Last edited by Grannysroost; 01-01-2010 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: I am spinning from something like this said...

Old 01-01-2010, 02:17 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
This is a total cop out, the bottom line is if you live in a remote native village then deal with it, no one is exploiting you and in fact alaska natives have probaby been explioted the least out of all american natives if at all, the exploitation they claim is a stretch at best, if we want to talk about exploitation the african americans had it way worse than alaska natives. I dont owe you a 4 wheeler and a waster water treatment center, if you want to luxuries of modern living (which by the way is not part of native culture) then earn it, engineer it, figure it out. Alaska natives today are probably some of the most worthless people I have ever met, my dad talked to a native elder many years ago and even the native elder said the new generation of natives are totally useless and back in the day they relied on the harsh conditions to weed out these people but now all they have to do is go to anchorage and join a native counsel and grip about gov money and infrastructure. The whole thing is a joke. When your own people a few generations before you even think your worthless and useless you dont have a peg to stand on.

If this isn't crossing the lines of City Data, I don't know how far you can push it. He needs to be gone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska