Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 03:18 PM

12 posts, read 79,950 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Ketchikan but originally from POW. We may be moving to Klawock soon and I was wondering what school is the better choice. I have heard several people say don't send the kids to Craig but then I have heard the same about Klawock. I have three little girls, the oldest will start 3rd grade next year and the twins will be starting Kindergarten, my daughter currently attends a Charter school and is so sad to be leaving it. I would love it if you could give me some advice on the schools, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 05:20 PM

366 posts, read 387,566 times
I moved to Oregon to spare my son any of the schools anywhere on POW Island and it was the best investment in his future that I could have possibly made. He returned every summer of course and still does now that he's in college, and I returned to Alaska myself a few years ago. Good luck, I wish I had something better to say, but my son's education was too important to me for me to have considered allowing the schools on POW to be any kind of option for him.

The young people I know who have gone to school there are of the same opinion.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:27 PM

2 posts, read 8,079 times
I am more familiar with the Craig School, I have a daughter who has come up thru the Craig Schools and will be a Junior next year.The elementary school is outstanding. The middle school inovative. The High School excellent.

My daughter has received an excellent education. She has been given wonderful oportunites to travel with music and sports. They have a one on one computer progam in the middle and high school. Craig has won the state championship in Academic Decathlon for several years in a row in the middle and small schools catagory. The teaching staff is excellent. I have high praise for the Craig School District.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,505 times
Rainy: An intelligent child can succeed regardless of his/her surroundings. I went to Klawock for middle and high school, graduated valedictorian, and went on to earn my Bachelor's at UAF using the UA Scholars program. Though many kids on the island end up going nowhere, it is important to note that it is up to the individual to achieve, and that it is not the school's fault that they are delinquent. Being from Oregon originally, and having first-hand experience with the school system there, I can't understand why you would think it is any better. Perhaps in a rural Oregon community the schools may be alright, but anything near a city is pretty worthless. I'd be interested to hear which kids thought the school system on POW wasn't any good - I may know them.

mom23sweetgirlies: I believe that Klawock School was and probably still is a pretty fine school. The teachers when I was there were helpful, engaging, and competant, and I became friends with all of them (this doesn't generally happen in larger schools). There are many extra-cirricular activities and sports offered, but I was never one for most of the sports personally. They have a music program, a carving program (and painting for kids), wood, auto and metal shop, pretty good hot lunch, and friendly staff. The school board is led by prominent people in the community, many of which I know and trust personally.

The Craig School district isn't too bad either. I know lots of people who have achieved there as well. They have a fairly recently built school, and seem to have good academic and extra-cirricular programs as well.

All in all, I'd recommend Klawock, but I may be biased. I had a great 6 years there. If you're really concerned about quality, pick one of the schools and get on the school board. Good luck!

Old 04-16-2008, 12:37 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,893,538 times
Hate to butt in here, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralree View Post
Rainy: An intelligent child can succeed regardless of his/her surroundings.
EEEEEEEEEEH!!
(pretend that was a buzzer)
That is so untrue, it hurts. Intelligence is good for two things: solving math problems and writing essays. It doesn't make a kid, or an adult, any better at handling difficult situations. I should know.
Now, I have no doubt that the prince would have grown into a well adjusted young man whether "Rainy" had moved him to Oregon or not, but I am sure that it was much easier for him to do so in better schooling situation.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:52 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,777,005 times
Geez, therer certainly is a lot of bumping up of old threads today.

I'm sure that Rainy knew what was best for her son and that it all worked out just great. Do keep in mind that this was during a period of time when the Craig school was in danger of losing it's accreditation.

It's my understanding that he graduated from a private high school in Oregon, is very proficient in languages, and has traveled extensively and is pursuing a linguistics degree in a tier one college. Not to say that the same wouldn't be the case had he grown up primarily in Craig, but we'll never really know, will we?
He said an interesting thing during my most recent face to face discussion with him, about how environment really does affect people strongly. He was talking, of course, about his decision to spend his first summer ever in a place other than POW. A few minutes later when he left me at the train station, I watched as he walked off and then disappeared into Portland. I'd never seen him happier. I'd say that both of his parents did more than all right.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-16-2008 at 01:31 PM..

Old 04-16-2008, 05:00 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,453,479 times
Quote:
Now, I have no doubt that the prince would have grown into a well adjusted young man whether "Rainy" had moved him to Oregon or not, but I am sure that it was much easier for him to do so in better schooling situation.
Sheesh seems to be a lot of "princes" coming out of Alaska, are they all royal?

Old 04-16-2008, 05:56 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,893,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipm8 View Post
Sheesh seems to be a lot of "princes" coming out of Alaska, are they all royal?
Well, there's lots of areas, and each area has to have it's own prince. This one in particular is the Prince of Wales.
We also have a goddess- so I'm the Goddess of the North.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:28 PM

273 posts, read 588,330 times
Default Good Kids

The majority of the kids that I know from both the Craig and Klawock schools are great kids. I agree that no matter where you go, it's the family that makes the difference. The kids I know from Craig & Klawock seem very well raised.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:28 AM

959 posts, read 2,362,595 times
Default Kids/schools on POW

Just had to jump in --I know this thread is old but...

There are some AWESOME kids here in Craig...but there are some real stinkers too, same as everywhere. So much of it has to do with parenting. It's hard to raise your kids if much of your time is spent at the bar or in and out of jail (trust me, I see this scenario daily). There is a lot of abuse here. It's amazing that some kids turn out as good as they do, and it is heartbreaking that many never have a chance. There are also plenty of warm, loving and functional families here on POW. They just don't seem to get as much notice!

There really is a lack of stuff for kids to do here; if parents aren't involved with their kids, kids get distracted in unhealthy ways.

The schools are decent, I wouldn't call them phenomenal by any stretch but most of the educators do seem to try to help kids think for themselves (the most important function of education). Some of the educators, though, are clearly burned out or just killing time until they move somewhere else. Overall, I'd say the schools are about average or slightly better than.

I continue to love living on POW, even though I've seen some pretty bad stuff. I've also seen amazing acts of kindness, generosity, and "village-mindedness" when it comes to adults and kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska