Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 8,126 times

Advertisements

Hey, I am currently a derrickhand working on a workover rig in ND, my wife and I are considering moving to Alaska. What I would like to know about is what I can expect for wages (hourly and annually) starting on drilling rigs (I only have experience on workover rigs, and 9 months cementing with schlumberger, so class A license with HNT endorcements). I am making approximately 90K right now, and want to know if I am going to have to take a cut how much to expect. Should I expect having a hard time finding work on the slope, or with my experience working in hights, cold, and oilfield should I be alright? Also what should I expect as far as living situations at the camps? We would be moving to Anchorage and I assume the north slope is where I would be working. Also any special clothing or equipment I should expect to need working on the slope? We work in cold here, but at about -30 we usually shut down. Thanks for any answers you can give me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 02:26 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,893,837 times
Expect high 20's for a rate of pay. If your going to be pushing toward slope work...you'll need bunny boots, parka, longjohns, plenty of dry gloves etc. The rigs on the slope are winterized beyond what you've ever experienced. Extra tall windwalls, heated derrickhouse, insulated walls and lot's of steam heat throughout modules, pit's etc.
Most of the rigs that are going to run this winter have started up already...but there are a few yet to go.
There is also limited rig activity on the Kenai Peninsula, with another being moved up from Canada hopefully in April or May for work on the west side of Cook Inlet.
Contact Nabors, Doyon, Parker or Nordic-Calista in Anchorage or Inlet Drilling in Kenai.
Many of the rigs shut down come spring on the slope. The roads go to heck and they can't move the rigs without spending millions. The peninsula has less rigs, but they can work through summer months because of the way they break down and can be trucked. Once ambient temps hit -45 operations may slow down...but they don't stop. You have to watch forklift loads etc so as not to blow any hoses...but all components of the rig are heated and inside...even indoor pipesheds...so the rigs keep on running. The only time they do stop is in high wind situations called phase 3...where no rescue or medical could get to the rigs due to drifted in roads or zero visability. Most any of the camps are good enough to live for 2 or 3 weeks. I have yet to live in a camp I couldn't deal with.

I've got some local rig pictures here if you want to have a look see at what we have to work with in this state.
Drilling Rigs Kenai, Alaska | Spotted®

Old 01-20-2010, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 8,126 times
Rance, thanks for the fast responce I am surprised you Can you wear bunny boots on the rig? We are no longer allowed to due to their lack of steel toes. You mentioned that most companies shut down in the spring on the slope? How much does that affect their annual salary? Because if your looking at X on X off with high 20s for pay that's already only in the 60s to 70s for pay. I am just curious if I am going to have to look at around 50k per year?

Old 01-21-2010, 12:29 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,893,837 times
Most but not all. With the overtime the wage is more than you think. Bunny boots are legal for derrickmen while on the board...and anyone during a rig move. Once your spotted over the well it's steel toe time. Alot of the derrick houses are heated well enough you won't need them.

Google those compny names and give any of them a call. Might be they will tell you right to the nickle how much a derrickman makes an hour. It's been nearly ten years since I've worked derricks so I'm just guessing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska