Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 12:14 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,807,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Don't forget to pack your can of crops!
Thats funny warp.....seems I remember this from another thread

south Florida = warm all year-round
Alaska = OMG

Thats should be all the OP needs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 12:29 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
yet the types who did it for free when the government gave them land were not freeloaders?

the whole concept of homesteading is giving somebody a free house and/or land and making them "prove it up" for a period of time. i suppose it can be done privately just as easily as publicly...

Homesteaders were not just given free land. They had to improve it by clearing the land, plant crops, build a house and so forth. There was nothing cheap about homesteading, and when you got done, the government taxed you on all of your efforts.

Free it wasn't, it took a lot of blood, sweat and tears and even cost many their lives.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:42 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,004 times
yes, that's what i meant by "prove it up."

Old 01-21-2010, 01:05 PM

639 posts, read 1,915,506 times
To me a person like me who has not been raised or lived here in AK who no clue at all about homesteading in AK. While some places in AK it is fairly easy to raise cattle or other animals for meat but those people still have to pay for hay because for the most part it doesn't grow in most places. And if someone is giving you a place I would be willing to bet it is not prime property. How would you get water for your family? Drill a well,LOL not at most places due to permafrost,melt snow that would be an experience for sure. How would you provide for your family if you didn't luck out and kill a moose? I think your dream is really unrealistic for Alaska maybe somewhere else but to just think you're gonna plop down on a piece of land here and live is very very unrealistic and could prove deadly.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:20 PM

879 posts, read 1,730,661 times
It didn't seem to me like the original poster wants free land, but rather free rent. In any case, they are looking for a handout. I desire for a parcel of land in Alaska, too, but I realize that prices are quite high for what I'm looking for, and I'll have to work long and hard to get what I want. If I knew I could never afford a piece of land in Alaska, but was hell bent on "living off the land", I would just head up there, find a secluded parcel of government land, and live there. Who's going to find you? If found, move somewhere else and start anew. It's a big place, and I'd think it's fairly easy to "get lost".

Old 01-21-2010, 01:37 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,004 times
if i were confident that the people in question weren't at risk for starving/freezing/dying one way or another, i wouldn't have a problem with a small family living on my land, especially if they helped maintain things/do chores/etc.

i probably wouldn't give them a chunk of it in exchange, but there's nothing wrong with free rent in exchange for hard work. people have done it for me and i would do it for others.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:58 PM

374 posts, read 1,125,252 times
The problem with this whole scenario is the legalities. Not to mention the OP having no idea what kind of hard work it takes to make it in Alaska. It sounds like a legal nightmare to let someone build a house on your land. Not a good idea. TO the OP- you have a good heart and it sounds like you are trying to be more sustainable, but why not start small by growing your own food where you are now, and learning more about self-sustainability? There are parcels of land other places besides Alaska that would be affordable. You could even buy a small chunk (2-5 acres) and not spend much. If you don't have much money- start small. You can think big, but start small. Save money where you can and try to buy your own small chunk of land. It will be worth it in the long run to plan now so that you can have the life that you want later.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:19 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,371,732 times
No I think the OP was asking for the land for free, not a place to live for a while. They noted they are looking to build a natural house on the land.
Maybe it's just me but I don't think I would be building on land that I didn't own.
Which makes me curious about what skills the OP has to build a home in an off grid area? Home Depot isn't around the corner, nor is electricity to run power tools if that is the way they are looking. This would be haul everything in and serious manual labor.

The OP noted "we don't really plan on having electricity, unless it comes from solar panels we put up, but with what money?"
Skipping the land purchase, land loan or land gift..whatever it's called, how are they going to support themselves?

But my last question is why Alaska?

Old 01-21-2010, 02:26 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Alaska is not the best place to do something like this. Wyoming might work, or some midwest state where land is cheap. I do know of a farmer who would often let people live on his property in exchange for work...but he expects real work, hard work, REAL HARD WORK. Most people moved after less than a year. I don't think he does it any more.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:28 PM

879 posts, read 1,730,661 times
Quote:
But my last question is why Alaska?
Alaska is very rich in natural resources and, while cold, is a good option for anyone wanting to truly "live off the land". In most areas of the lower 48, it's just not possible with all of the development, and lack of fishing/hunting available. Most people looking to live off the land aren't looking for areas where they will need transportation to commute to hunting/fishing areas, etc. They want it out their back door.

Last edited by NomadicBear; 01-21-2010 at 03:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska