Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 04:05 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I would rather live off the sea living on a boat than live off the land off grid in a corn cob house.
cob construction does not involve corn cobs.

and i certainly wouldn't use it in alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 04:13 PM

879 posts, read 1,730,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
i was doing it so that i could learn how to do a variety of tasks on a small, organic, off grid farms (i worked on a couple of different ones). it was well worth it. i wasn't just a fruit picker or anything like that. i got to do everything, and am very grateful that i took the opportunity to learn.

now i know many of the finer points of composting, planting, weeding, clearing land, chasing chickens, weeding, construction, leveling, watering, sweating, stinking, weeding, wind/water turbine maintenance, killing snakes, cutting/chopping wood, weeding, digging ditches and drainage channels, harvesting, trapping rodents, moving big heavy things, and weeding.

did i mention weeding?

if somebody who didn't grow up on a farm wants to learn how to live off the land, these are good skills to learn.
I suppose I can understand it in the context of developing skills, but working full time for only shelter and food is no different than what the Okies had to endure during the depression era. It's labor exploitation. The Okies were actually paid, but most of their wages went back to the company stores in order to pay for food. It was almost impossible to get ahead. Working full time on a farm for food and shelter is a rip-off, and a form of slavery.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:45 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
Alaska is very rich in natural resources and, while cold, is a good option for anyone wanting to truly "live off the land". In most areas of the lower 48, it's just not possible with all of the development, and lack of fishing/hunting available. Most people looking to live off the land aren't looking for areas where they will need transportation to commute to hunting/fishing areas, etc. They want it out their back door.
Unless you live by the Ocean or major river to get food from, living off the land in Alaska is no easy task. Hunting is strictly regulated, and for an outsider not being a resident, it is even more restrictive.

The Growing season is short and the wildlife likes gardens better than most humans. We plant every year and the moose alone will jump a six foot fence and take out more stuff in ten min's than you can harvest in an hour.

Yes you can survive in Interior Alaska living off the land, but very few do because of how hard it is, they will travel to town once or twice a year at least to get major supplies, more often than not, they go more often.

The Coastal areas, if the tide is out, the table is set. Food is very easy to get from the sea and the winters are very mild compared to the interior, but the land is very expensive.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:50 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Food is very easy to get from the sea and the winters are very mild compared to the interior, but the land is very expensive.
Boy howdy, when I was looking for properties, (still am), I couldn't come close to buying anything in Alaska that I could live on at my age. Way too pricey.
That's why I'm here in Mayberry Montana.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Unless you live by the Ocean or major river to get food from, living off the land in Alaska is no easy task. Hunting is strictly regulated, and for an outsider not being a resident, it is even more restrictive.

The Growing season is short and the wildlife likes gardens better than most humans. We plant every year and the moose alone will jump a six foot fence and take out more stuff in ten min's than you can harvest in an hour.

Yes you can survive in Interior Alaska living off the land, but very few do because of how hard it is, they will travel to town once or twice a year at least to get major supplies, more often than not, they go more often.

The Coastal areas, if the tide is out, the table is set. Food is very easy to get from the sea and the winters are very mild compared to the interior, but the land is very expensive.
I never said it was easy, now did I?

Old 01-21-2010, 06:00 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times

The Coastal areas, if the tide is out, the table is set. Food is very easy to get from the sea and the winters are very mild compared to the interior, but the land is very expensive.[/quote]

that's if ya don't get caught in the quick sand-mud...many people have died in that muck!

Old 01-21-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Boy howdy, when I was looking for properties, (still am), I couldn't come close to buying anything in Alaska that I could live on at my age. Way too pricey.
That's why I'm here in Mayberry Montana.
I don't see any bargains out there for land, either. The number of people who have 6 figures for a piece of raw land with no water or power is miniscule, and shrinking. For the most part, banks aren't lending on raw land anymore, unless one has perfect credit and a substantial down. Before the real estate bubble, land loans were difficult to come by. We've returned to those days, and land prices should fall substantially as a result.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:13 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
I don't see any bargains out there for land, either. The number of people who have 6 figures for a piece of raw land with no water or power is miniscule, and shrinking. For the most part, banks aren't lending on raw land anymore, unless one has perfect credit and a substantial down. Before the real estate bubble, land loans were difficult to come by. We've returned to those days, and land prices should fall substantially as a result.
gee I hope you are right for the people trying to buy land that prices will fall....Lots of people with land though will just hang onto it unless they become in dire straights for money.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:16 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
i've done farm work in situations like this. i was expected to work 8 hours a day, just like anyone. the work was hard but the food was good and the air was clean.

-------" i was expected to work 8 hours a day"--

I've never known a farmer who would make such generous arrangements and allow you to leave at 8 hours when he and his family were putting in 16 hours .

Old 01-21-2010, 06:20 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,004 times
you mean when he and his family were on vacation in italy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska