Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:20 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,171 times

Advertisements

Yes it is changing but if someone teaches their kid ...

Yes it was 20-10 years ago I would leave my keys in truck, guns in rack, fishing pole in back of pick up and go to another town with it all unlocked. I have only retrained myself to lock up vehicles since 2005 to lock doors in car, lock house. Lock house I haven't had a key since I was a kid knowing GrammasCabin!!! Now in Hawaii it is a total retrain if you don't want your vehicle ( and it isn't a tourist car helps) leave it open with the windows down. No guns though. Not many guns here.

My opinion if your don't train kids young to handle guns it becomes a thrill to do something with guns. Teach a kid they don't abuse the power of them, it should be taught in every school in my opinion even if not hunting. Just as archery was a PE class when I grew up in town. However it should be taught as a saftey class and what can happen literally with guns.

Kids respect guns on Hawaii to Alaska if raised in this type of way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 11:07 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
I never worried about locking my car until someone's small child got in my car, somehow locked themselves in, and almost died of heatstroke when I lived in Oregon.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:15 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I never worried about locking my car until someone's small child got in my car, somehow locked themselves in, and almost died of heatstroke when I lived in Oregon.
OMG...another unforeseen reason to lock the car....

Old 01-23-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
OMG...another unforeseen reason to lock the car....
They were trying to blame me, they seemed to forget that there was an unsupervised small child running around! Their argument kind of sputtered out at that point.....

Old 01-24-2010, 01:02 AM

860 posts, read 2,055,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post

OMG I'm so sorry. That must have been horrible for you. Thank God the kid survived.
I've never taken the key out of my car let alone locked it. I'm the last house (cabin) on the island, nothing but dirt logging roads beyond me. Few years ago I woke up at 3am to watch the tail lights of my truck head up the driveway and towards town. !!! Called the cops and drove around for a few days wondering where my truck went. Remember, we're on an island. Cops never did find it, but I did. It was at the ferry terminal with a note of apology and $20 for gas. "sorry, broke down and had to catch the ferry".
I don't even know if there's a key for my door. In summer I don't even close it.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:17 AM

1,435 posts, read 2,777,423 times
Well I live in a complex located in NW Chicagoland. I never lock doors to my van and never had any problems. Sometimes I'll leave the key in the ignition. Often windows rolled down. I mean to come back but I never do. I don't lock the patio doors. Well lately I do. Try to, just in case because of the computers, digital slr and stuff like Nicon microscopes or the new Bravia 52" LCD. But still I don't believe in locks. Never did- good relations with neighbors are a lot better!

Old 01-24-2010, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
OMG I'm so sorry. That must have been horrible for you. Thank God the kid survived.
I've never taken the key out of my car let alone locked it. I'm the last house (cabin) on the island, nothing but dirt logging roads beyond me. Few years ago I woke up at 3am to watch the tail lights of my truck head up the driveway and towards town. !!! Called the cops and drove around for a few days wondering where my truck went. Remember, we're on an island. Cops never did find it, but I did. It was at the ferry terminal with a note of apology and $20 for gas. "sorry, broke down and had to catch the ferry".
I don't even know if there's a key for my door. In summer I don't even close it.

I just felt bad for that poor child, the parents never watched it. Even after that! I do keep my door locked, have had too many statistically improbable things happen to me, such as being dragged behind a building while bringing a sick neighbor some tp late at night in Arkansas (fortunately for me the bad guy had been terrorizing several people and the police had already been called before I encountered him). And I've read too many true crime books written by Ann Rule!

Old 01-24-2010, 01:37 AM

1,435 posts, read 2,777,423 times
Don't read any more books, instead enroll in self defence class... It will do wonders for your safety as well as self esteem.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:49 AM

I have but part of self defense is mental and that involves knowing your risks and trying to be aware (but not paranoid) of your environment. Ann Rule's books aren't sensationalist in nature, she is more into making people aware that not everybody has your best intentions at heart. In my case, when I was in my scary situation, I was calm and used my mind. I was able to make the bad guy feel as if I could relate to him, and he relaxed and let me go. Then the police arrived.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:09 AM

854 posts, read 1,977,004 times
the school here sometimes has a biathlon team. but the school has its own guns and kids don't need to bring them.

i have yet to see anyone bring their own to school. since it's a small village, students will just go home, snack, grab their gun, and go hunting (assuming they want to go after school).

depending on the student, the teachers/administration might freak out if a gun was brought by a student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska