Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 04:27 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,438,364 times

Advertisements

If you don't have employment lined up then be sure you have "months" of savings to live on and a way back home just in case.

Alaska's 8.8% unemployment rate is highest since 1992: Money | adn.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 08:55 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Well other than just contacting a company on the web and apply or the other websites, there is a more direct way that will get better results.

Get a Camper mounted on a truck and drive it up, you can see what/where you like the best, have a place to stay when you do get work and can network out from there to find better jobs as they show up.

Renting a place to stay is expensive, having a camper to live is a much cheaper way to get your foot in the door, but come in the Spring so you have a full summer to find work.

Most employers don't like to hire people from out of state as rule, but it happens a lot, but the really good jobs that pay well and have benifits would prefer to see that you are a resident here or planning to be, so being here in person when you apply is a good thing.

In the smaller towns on the highway system, they are always looking for someone that wants to work, and having a place to stay like your camper, makes you a bit better off than camping in a tent somewhere. Most towns have some kind of camper park where you can dump the tanks and get water if needed.

Even in Anchorage, there is a few Camper parks where summer workers come to camp out for the summer and work.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:29 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,072,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehop View Post
Have you found a job down there?
I moved to Juneau for a job. I would not have come here without either a job or a good amount of money. I found the job through a professional organization.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:53 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,866,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaqbee View Post
My husband and I want to move to Alaska, but I am refusing to move before he has found work. What's the best way to go about it?
My best guess would be to show up and put in applications face to face.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,161 times
I am thinking about moving to Alaska. My trade is massage therapy (sports massage, and spa type therapies). I read somewhere that massage therapists can make pretty good money in Alaska.

I am just wondering, is it because Alaska is cold and no one wants to work there and they need therapists?

I was wondering what the cost of living was? Rent, food and do I need a dog sled to get to work?

Just kidding but I was wondering how life is in Alaska. Are the people nice?

Old 01-13-2013, 11:36 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Well for those that want to find work and then move here, first you need to figure out what kind of lifestyle you want to have and then figure out where that would best be suited. Like by the ocean, in a bigger city like Anchorage, or a small interior village type of place.

What kind of work are you looking for... Some places just do have what you may do for a skill, where others do.

The job service that was mentioned earlier is a good start. The Federal Jobs in Alaska can be seen at:

https://www.usajobs.gov/

Then that National Job bank that is driving me nuts on the radio with their ads.

Fairbanks Area job search and jobs posting. Find a high quality employee. Find the perfect job.

Anchorage Area job search and jobs posting. Find a high quality employee. Find the perfect job.

www.matsuhelpwanted.com

Juneau Jobs-Juneau Help Wanted-FREE Job Search Engine

Pretty much type in the name of the town you want to see about. Never went there, but they sure advertize enough..

Good luck on your adventure.

Funny how these threads keep coming back to life....

Last edited by starlite9; 01-13-2013 at 11:52 PM..

Old 01-20-2013, 11:01 AM

41 posts, read 188,168 times
"...Funny how these threads keep coming back to life...."

Isn't it? Haven't been to this forum in 4-5 years, and there are NEW "I want to be a fisherman" threads. All the time, apparently.

Maybe I should rewrite mine old post on the subject and re-post it ... think so.

Weeelll ... I came up here without a lick of sense over 20 years ago and ain't dead yet, so maybe the smart and tough ones can make it today.

But it's tough breakin' into fishin' ....

Old 10-07-2016, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,175 times
my name Is Joao Junior.. i am from Brasil and I live in New York for over 16 years…
i have 35 years old and i would love to move to Alaska… is there any way i could go to work there ?
this is my resume.. [url]www.joaojunior.com[/url] ----- i am graphic, web designer / code developer …
of course.. i am open to anything !! so that is not exactly the area i am looking for
if i get the opportunity to go to work in Alaska.. is there any place i could apply for an Job ?

P.S. i recently got married in USA (NY) and i still need to apply for my citizenship…

but i am planing to go alone to spend some time there, new experience is exactly what i am looking for..
i really would like to spend some time there… because i am in love with everything i know about Alaska..

all i need is a opportunity -)

looking forward to hear from anyone and thanks for the attention…

Old 10-07-2016, 01:59 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,171,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrxpress View Post
my name Is Joao Junior.. i am from Brasil and I live in New York for over 16 years…
i have 35 years old and i would love to move to Alaska… is there any way i could go to work there ?
this is my resume.. www.joaojunior.com ----- i am graphic, web designer / code developer …
of course.. i am open to anything !! so that is not exactly the area i am looking for
if i get the opportunity to go to work in Alaska.. is there any place i could apply for an Job ?

P.S. i recently got married in USA (NY) and i still need to apply for my citizenship…

but i am planing to go alone to spend some time there, new experience is exactly what i am looking for..
i really would like to spend some time there… because i am in love with everything i know about Alaska..

all i need is a opportunity -)

looking forward to hear from anyone and thanks for the attention…
You are welcome. Nice resume, I am pretty sure you will have no problem obtaining employment once you figure out where to apply at.

BTW, there is no sarcasm here...at.all.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:29 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,105,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
You are welcome. Nice resume, I am pretty sure you will have no problem obtaining employment once you figure out where to apply at.

BTW, there is no sarcasm here...at.all.
Yes, and I was so confident that your link was safe that I didn't just double click it, I triple clicked it. For realsies. I totally did. No, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska