Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 22,612 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to move to Alaska, but I am refusing to move before he has found work. What's the best way to go about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 09:53 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaqbee View Post
My husband and I want to move to Alaska, but I am refusing to move before he has found work. What's the best way to go about it?
It's hard for anybody here to tell you how to get a job. However, you can apply for jobs in Alaska, and hopefully be hired. The problem is that while the unemployment situation in Alaska may be a little better than where you live, it's still high. Also, you still would have to get in front of the line of people equally or more qualified for the job than you and your husband, and these people have been in Alaska for a while if not years already.

In my view, the average woman matures a lot sooner than the average man (me included), and you are being very wise by not moving here before you have a job secured. Alaska is not a place you want to move to without having enough money to return to the place you are planing to leave.
------
What I have noticed of most employers (private sector) lately is that hiring is mostly part-time. Maybe the idea of hiring part-time is to avoid having to provide you with health insurance. By having you work 20 to 30 hours per week (not 40 hours), the employer can save a lot of cash. It's the same even if you are hired through the unions. For example, as a union-hired employee, my wife only receives insurance benefits at 96 hours per month. She still pays $41.00 for union fees each month, even if she does not work the 96 hours required

Old 01-24-2010, 11:03 PM

2 posts, read 22,612 times
Thanks. I'm starting to think this is going to be harder than we thought. We'll get there eventually though!

Old 01-24-2010, 11:21 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
Start here...

Alaska Job Center Network

Old 01-25-2010, 12:23 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
Come up with what you have in your pocket...

Old 01-25-2010, 03:28 AM

128 posts, read 295,119 times
Default I did it and got lucky

I grabbed a summer job, flew up and within 6 weeks of being here, I landed a pretty good job and now I am here to stay. Although, I did live here before and new a bit about the "way it is here". I also had a back up plan just incase it didn't work out so I wasn't left stranded. good luck

Old 01-25-2010, 08:59 AM

355 posts, read 818,320 times
The Alaska Joblink website is nice, but you can't register unless you have an Alaska Resident address so it makes it kind of hard to get information to apply. Good luck with your search.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:11 AM

6,260 posts, read 5,067,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehop View Post
I grabbed a summer job, flew up and within 6 weeks of being here, I landed a pretty good job and now I am here to stay. Although, I did live here before and new a bit about the "way it is here". I also had a back up plan just incase it didn't work out so I wasn't left stranded. good luck
City websites usually have employment links. So do many specific companies, as well as professional organizations. You can also try plugging in a specific job category eg. "electrician jobs in Alaska" into your search engine - you'll come up with electrician jobs on such job-search sites as Indeed, Monster etc.

I've been here for 2 weeks now. Going OK, but definately have a back up plan if it all falls apart.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:14 AM

355 posts, read 818,320 times
Another big joblink to look up in the AK area is USAJOBS.com

The Federal Government is hiring like crazy all over the country with Fed benefits, etc. Check into it. The application process looks really hard to me, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do to get a job.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:25 PM

128 posts, read 295,119 times
Default I've been here for 2 weeks now. Going OK, but definately have a back up plan if it all falls apart.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
City websites usually have employment links. So do many specific companies, as well as professional organizations. You can also try plugging in a specific job category eg. "electrician jobs in Alaska" into your search engine - you'll come up with electrician jobs on such job-search sites as Indeed, Monster etc.

I've been here for 2 weeks now. Going OK, but definately have a back up plan if it all falls apart.
Have you found a job down there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska