Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 11:57 PM

5 posts, read 22,467 times

Advertisements

My husband is a certified welder and has been in that field for 5 years. We have heard that if your number doesnt begin with 907 you will not even be considered. Is this really the case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 12:03 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,843 times
It definitely helps to already be established here. Or to know someone here, in the industry. But, that creates a Catch-22, because you wouldn't want come up without a job lined up.
But, don't let that discourage you from applying. They worst they can do is say no.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:15 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NrthrnLght View Post
My husband is a certified welder and has been in that field for 5 years. We have heard that if your number doesnt begin with 907 you will not even be considered. Is this really the case?
It depends on the field maybe. We heard the same things, but where hubby was working on the slope, they said if you know this certain guy you must be from Washington, this guy you might be from Montana, or this other guy maybe from Idaho. He was probably the token from AK with a 907, most of the others were from the different parts of the lower 48, but that was the company he had worked for....and he was a truck driver, or equipment operator.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:10 AM

5 posts, read 22,467 times
He did apply for a few postings they had offered on the slope, im not quite sure how long they actually take to review your resume. He is qualified for the position so i was just wondering if not being in AK is the reason we have not heard back from them.
The real estate lady said her son in law is a welder on the slope and that my husband would have no problem finding work but most of the time you cant really rely on info from someone trying to sell us a house so i thought that i would ask on here. =)
We would really like to have something lined up but on the other hand we have paid most of our bills off and have some money to live on. We will not have a mortgage or rent to pay as we will be staying with my parents until we can find a place of our own.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:16 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
The only problem I can see is that there are a lot of welders in Alaska. If your husband is a member of one of the local unions, then he may have a better chance. Welding is taught locally (in Fairbanks), and quite a lot of young guys become welders right out of high school.

Not being in Alaska can definitely work against you because of the large number of welders available locally.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:01 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,023,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NrthrnLght View Post
Many of the slope workers on field schedules live down in the lower 48 - Seattle area, Idaho, and down in the Gulf area where many of the oil companies are headquartered (a lot of the guys on the crew change planes have Texas accents). For what you are describing, I would suspect having prior experience and connections within the oil services industry to be more of a determing factor. For work in the Urban centers of Anchorage and Fairbanks though, already being up here (and a member of one of the local union halls) makes a big difference.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:42 PM

355 posts, read 818,774 times
According to the people Im dealing with at Acuren alot of the slope work/welding jobs are slow right now but are expected to pick up around March/April. Thats when I was told to plan on coming up.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawman_Kyle View Post
According to the people Im dealing with at Acuren alot of the slope work/welding jobs are slow right now but are expected to pick up around March/April. Thats when I was told to plan on coming up.
They said that last year ...didn't happen.. A guy that lives NE US is still waiting to get called back from last spring...Hopefully it changes...

Old 01-31-2010, 07:37 PM

355 posts, read 818,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
They said that last year ...didn't happen.. A guy that lives NE US is still waiting to get called back from last spring...Hopefully it changes...
really? Acuren's average employee logged over 3000 hours last year according the the Level 3 Officer that offered me my position. I simply made a call and was told I had a job as soon as things fired back up. I also know that my inspection union just sent 3 crews up to Kenai to being working on fabrication for something. Sounds like the guy in the NE may have been looked over or lost between the cracks? Of course I'm an inspector and not a welder. Theres not near as many of us as welders.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawman_Kyle View Post
really? Acuren's average employee logged over 3000 hours last year according the the Level 3 Officer that offered me my position. I simply made a call and was told I had a job as soon as things fired back up. I also know that my inspection union just sent 3 crews up to Kenai to being working on fabrication for something. Sounds like the guy in the NE may have been looked over or lost between the cracks? Of course I'm an inspector and not a welder. Theres not near as many of us as welders.
I'm talking about slope jobs, operators, drivers...But if they aren't working, not many else will be either... Kenai may be a different story, but hubby has a nephew that is a welder up in Anchorage (moved from MN), he did the union thing he had to...I think he has an interview coming up..first one since end of October, I hope it is turning around...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska