Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 01:35 PM

69 posts, read 140,664 times

Advertisements

I would love to rent, but with 2 large dogs and 3 pets I don't think it's worth it. Any place I could possibly find would charge more pet fees, deposits than I'm willing to pay. It would be a better investment to buy and make a rental later.

I'm looking at cabins and small houses too. The purpose of this thread was to see if buying a mobile home could work out. If I saved 30k on my housing, that's another 30k towards retiring early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Trailer for sale or rent....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 01:38 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times
Room to let fifty cents
No phone, no pool, no pets
I ain't got no cigarettes

Old 02-06-2010, 01:39 PM

Cabins...

SBS Home Improvement

Old 02-06-2010, 02:04 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,543 times
I have lived in two mobile homes in Alaska. For that matter, I've lived in tents for months on end, a log cabin with a dirt floor and almost anything else you can think of.

But I still hate mobile homes. Most mobile homes were not built for Alaska conditions. They leak, they sweat, they are prone to mold. I would rather live in a cabin with a dirt floor than a mobile home.

Warpt is right...build a little cabin and go from there. You will be better off.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:42 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,714,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
I have lived in two mobile homes in Alaska. For that matter, I've lived in tents for months on end, a log cabin with a dirt floor and almost anything else you can think of.

But I still hate mobile homes. Most mobile homes were not built for Alaska conditions. They leak, they sweat, they are prone to mold. I would rather live in a cabin with a dirt floor than a mobile home.

Warpt is right...build a little cabin and go from there. You will be better off.
I have to agree. No city slicker here either. Give me a cabin any day over this mess. If you are interested in buying some land and building, I still would NOT buy a trailer to put on it. What kind of pets do you have? Curious mainly but it will help to understand your needs. If you have turtles, then a dry cabin is NOT going to work. If you have a snake or reptile, you will need to be extra diligent about heating your home. If you have cats, not much extra will be needed for their care. Dogs, they can live inside and outside if they are the right breed.
Birds.... etc..

Living in the Interior (which it seems you would like to do) it not at all like building and living in most other places, this is coming from a Montana Country girl!! I'm sure that no matter what we tell you, somethings you will just have to find out for yourself.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:41 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,846,302 times
Why does the OP insist on arguing...It is not the 'trailer trash' stigma from years ago that you are insinuating, nor is it being frugal with what you spend, but the fact that most are old, (60s-70s vintage) wore out, poorly insulated. If you open a can of soup or try to cook anything, the windows sweat and drip down the wall onto the floor...Now you need to skirt somehow and keep your pipes from freezing, then all your heat from whatever source is going out the roof or windows because there is no insulation...It is too cold to be feasible...

Go to the ATM...take out large amounts of cash...put in a pan and set on fire, rub your hands vigorously over top of it...got much satisfaction? That is where you would be with a trailer in the interior. Now what about how far your wife has to drive to work in the winter? In a few months when the novelty wears off, you will be beating yourself over the head....

Old 02-06-2010, 08:53 PM

69 posts, read 140,664 times
Not arguing. Thank you for the info. Willing to continue reading anything you all have to say!

Old 02-06-2010, 08:59 PM

Yeah, get a trailer...Tinder box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TmwgR9xjHU

Old 02-06-2010, 09:15 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Room to let fifty cents
No phone, no pool, no pets
I ain't got no cigarettes
He was from Ft. Worth.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:31 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,543 times
I visited my parents last year in Washington. They are in a small town in central Washington. They have a nice little house but there are a lot of trailers on small lots in town. I think the trailers would be perfectly comfortable there as long as they don't leak. It was February, no snow, fairly mild temps and I thought that for the cost of a trailer, a lot, well and septic retirement would be easy there.

But it would be miserable in Alaska.

There are a few new trailers that were built with good insulation and heating systems but they are few and far between, I don't think you will be able to find one for less than 50K. And still...they depreciate in value here rather than appreciate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska