Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 12:23 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,197,323 times

Advertisements

Friend of mine is coming up to Seward area hired as a fishing guide between Seward and Ninilchik. Yes this is just a start give him a break.

Sooo anyone familar with this - and or comments coming to Alaska?

His issue is he will be commerically fishing in Sitka till April 10th back to WA and then needs to be back in Seward/Ninilchik - yes I know it is a distance between the two 135 miles to my knowlege. By May 1st.

He has a dog also coming up. Would you pay the Queens Rasom and then hope to leave truck and camper in Alaska in being coming back next year with same outfit or other? Drive? Vehicle and camper in good shape but does have 220,000 plus on it.And crame time into the small allotment?

Take the ferry and skip Queens Ransom to check things out for the year and pay the high ferry costs and again hope to leave vehicle in Alaska till next year and fly back? and take more time allotment to get on the ferry winter rates? As in have to be on the ferry by the April 16th and just got home.

Fly up and buy a cheap less than ferry trip van to live in while here in Alaska off Craigs list etc. Live in the van till next season (leaving the van till then)...

He asked me about someplace to stay with a dog Seaonal. I said everyone else I know is also looking for that. I can not fit him in and do believe he will be back - very anal fisherman, life long dream and came back from a very bad accident couple of years ago all of us including DR's never thought he would fish again.

He will be fine camping but again other than local speak, craigs list dogs and seasonal worker?? cheap?

I vote for the van but ideas???

(Ready to come up to Alaska for his first job pulled safe out of the truck to store guns etc in after he got his captains liscense - short story the safe came out of the truck on his head. 2 years recovery time period and only got better when he told the Dr's they didn't know what they were talking about - commerical fished last year. and knows his guided fishing if anal!) Sooo happy a bad and is finally doing what he has always wanted to do - good story?

any thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 08:48 PM

6,380 posts, read 14,629,624 times
Dumb question, but don't you have to know the area you are suppose to be guiding in?

They are already up to their noses in "Guides" and "Fishing Charters" in that areas....

The van would give you someplace to stay if all else fails, parking it in a safe place for the winter is another deal.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:48 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,646,832 times
I'm not sure what "paying the Queen's Ransom" is. The ferry is more expensive than driving up. And, unless he hits the occasional cross gulf ferry, the ferry will only take him as far as Haines, and then he'll drive from there.
The drive can be done in about 3 to 5 days if you pushing it. If he's got a camper his only cost would be stocking it with food before hand and enough gas for 2500 miles.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:49 PM

Guess I didn't make myself clean in the question Thanks Starlie9 for just calling me stupid.

Friend not me Guiding will both be in Nilichik and Seward when the kings settle and fishing is better there. Know the charters out of Seward not as happy as the ones that pay the normal fees to be a charter. Friends of mine.

That was not what I was questioning. Would you pay for Queens Rasom vrs paying for a ferry?? Or pay it and then move up driving??? He doesn't drink, smoke, or do anything else for a couple of years but has mark on record. Has captain license in Alaska just looking for opinions for transport. Thanks

Old 02-07-2010, 11:53 PM

Queens Ransom if paying $$ if you have anything on your record in US style. POT, DWI< DUI or anything else. you have to fill out paperwork months ahead of time and pay fines they require and allow who they want. It is a payable to cross Canada land that can be to my undrestanding one way $280 to more depending on issue.

Last edited by nwcountrygal; 02-08-2010 at 12:05 AM..

Old 02-08-2010, 12:58 AM

27 posts, read 98,705 times
Default more options as well

If I am understanding you correctly you are asking if it would be better to take the ferry from Washington to Whittier with camper and dog or fly up with dog and buy a van once you are here. AMHS is offering the driver goes free program this summer so that saves a little bit. It is a long trip for the dog in the camper since you can't have him topside, (cardeck only). You also can't sleep in camper on ferry so you have to either get a cabin on ferry or tent it on the top deck. Figure about $1500.00 for the ferry trip one way depending on the length of your camper setup. Airfare is about $400.00 one way with dog in tow but baggage is limited and expensive after 2 bags the dog being one of them. Seward is expensive in the summer no matter what you have, Ninilchik (home of those awesome Wolverines H.S. team) has a few options for lodging and a few campgrounds as well. If I were doing it, I would opt to take the ferry and leave early enough to get in on their 30% off deal for a roundtrip ticket. That by itself will save you almost a thousand and you can leave at the end of the season with everything you came up with. Just my opinion though. And by the way, an intelligent person is one who asks a question when they are not sure of the answer, a fool is the one who thinks the question is dumb!

Old 02-08-2010, 01:15 AM

693 posts, read 1,612,703 times
I don't think Starlite was saying NW's question was dumb - he was referring to his own question (as in "maybe I am asking you a dumb question, but....")

Old 02-08-2010, 11:12 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,588,650 times
With the past record, I'd recommend flying and buying the van. I believe that even if you fill out the paperwork and pay the fees, the border agent can still refuse entry into Canada.

I believe Starlite's question was how can your friend guide if he's never been in the area? Also, if your friend is going out fishing, what's he going to do about the dog when he's out? Will he be out overnight?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:49 PM

27 posts, read 98,705 times
nwcountrygal: you can understand some of the apprehension here. We have several terms that we use when dealing with tourists. A guide is usually someone licensed by the board of fish and game to take people into the Alaska wilderness. They have strict guidelines on how to obtain this prestigious title. We also have outfitters which are generally people who obtain a business license and operate in a field that they are familiar with, ie: fishing outfitter knows how to fish, what habitat fish prefer (slow moving water vs rapids) and so on. Then we have Charter Boat Captains which also have a certifiaction and some of them have deck hands or first mates on board that help the guests by baiting the hooks and handling the caught fish. It sounds like your friend is going to operate in that capacity since you mentioned both Seward and Ninilchik. Both of those places are salt water fishing towns with access to halibut, salmon, cod, and other species of fish. Most of those guys go out for a half day fish trip or a full day fish trip instead of overnighters. Most of the Captains already have IFQ's for halibut or are using someone elses. The fish and game have that program locked up pretty tight. Salmon is a different story. Just about anyone can do salmon fishing. It sounds like your friend already has fishing experience so their dilemma is on how to get here. if you are not traveling with them why not offer to keep their dog for them and let them come up and work solo the first season. Alaska is contagious and it doesn't matter the time of year. Both seasons have their unique qualities and are just as captivating.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:50 PM

I appreciate the answers. Sorry about not making myself clear.

I understand the concerns your all statiing. I also understand the "feelings" towards new guides and charters based in Seward and others that are not. I do have friends that have charters in the area.

He does have the guiding job contracted already with experience - and will learn new ways of doing things in Alaska. He is commerical fishing in Stika in March returns to Mt Rainier in April and has to turn around

I will also be in Seward for the summer working, house too small for my dog and his. Also I am staying with someone else. His dog is fine to be in the truck or whatever vehicle while he works.

I understand how difficult it is to find temp housing in the area.

Soo Akck even if he has the paperwork and payment made they can possible not allow entry anyway? That is a main concern. Along with housing. He is fine to camp but the timing of ferry's and cost vrs driving is also a concern because he will have less than 15 days to return to WA and back up to Seward. If he can drive up - have camper to live in for summer and leave truck/camper till the next season. And Yes he does have a place to winter it.

Thanks everyone for your advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska