Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2010, 08:00 PM

4 posts, read 16,411 times

Advertisements

Hello, a couple friends and I are interested in finding summer work in Kodiak, preferably waitressing but any employment will suffice.

I've looked online and haven't found much without having to pay for access to a website. I was hoping that some one on here may be able to help us out. I've heard that it would not be difficult to find a job upon arrival but with this economy and my apprehensiveness...I'd rather have a job lined up first.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 08:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Are you dead set on Kodiak?

I remember running into someone a few years ago who got a job in another area by contacting the chamber of commerce there ...here's Kodiak's:

Kodiak Island, Alaska - Official Visitors Guide

There are lots of sports fishing lodges in the area that hire for the sort of work you want.

I won't speak specifically for Kodiak but what you're wanting to do is certainly within reason.

You can go here:

CoolWorks.com - Summer Jobs and Seasonal Jobs in Great Places

and click on the Alaska section; there are lots of seasonal employers there, though again, I'm not sure about Kodiak.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:37 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,564,539 times
If you aren't set for a high paying crabbing job, which you most certainly won't get. You will able to find the lower end seasonal jobs in just about any of Alaska's Coastal Towns if you are there as sping breaks open good. It will give you a heads up on what is going on and where. If you plan on doing some camping out to get started, that will save you some money until things get going.

Regardless, you need to come with some money in the bank in the event that things don't go well for whatever reason.

Met has a few good sites to start with too.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:37 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times
Check this link out. Scroll down and read. I remembered someone telling me once that when they were going to college they would go to Kodiak in the summer to work at the fish processing plants.

Kodiak, Alaska (http://www.acsyellowpages.com/discover/kodiak.htm - broken link)

Under the economy section it states they have 13 fish processing companies that operate year round. Now I don't know how current this is nor do I really know anything about Kodiak. Good luck.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:19 PM

Thank you so much! I haven't checked out the sites yet but I will. Kind of set on Kodiak because one of the girls has a job lined up but personally I'm very open to anywhere along the coast. Thank you again for the help, I appreciate it so much!

Old 02-07-2010, 11:55 PM

Met, thank you so much for that cool works website! It's amazing...I'm having to keep myself from planning out the rest of my summers while in school!

Old 02-08-2010, 12:13 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfpint21 View Post
Met, thank you so much for that cool works website! It's amazing...I'm having to keep myself from planning out the rest of my summers while in school!
Good; that's what it's for. You can apply online at most of these places, and they'll usually do a reference check, a couple of phone interviews (they don't expect you to fly up just for an interview) and a basic background check. Most of them have employee housing. If you get started now you can most likely find something.

A lot of the college kids really seem to like working as servers on the train.

Good luck and please keep us posted. It would be interesting to hear about your adventures this summer.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:16 AM

202 posts, read 821,117 times
Default jobs, probably, housing, maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfpint21 View Post
Hello, a couple friends and I are interested in finding summer work in Kodiak, preferably waitressing but any employment will suffice.

I've looked online and haven't found much without having to pay for access to a website. I was hoping that some one on here may be able to help us out. I've heard that it would not be difficult to find a job upon arrival but with this economy and my apprehensiveness...I'd rather have a job lined up first.

Thank you in advance!
I was just talking to a friend about the restaurants and it seems they are doing fine. Employers tend not to deal long distance because it's generally a waste of their time.
If you get there try Henry's, Shelikof Lodge and Best Western Inn in the downtown area. El Chicano has expanded but they tend to only hire locals. Same with King's Diner which is out towards Safeway.
Kodiak is a big time fishing town so activity really ramps up during the summer season and there is a lot of seasonal hiring.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkalaska View Post
I was just talking to a friend about the restaurants and it seems they are doing fine. Employers tend not to deal long distance because it's generally a waste of their time.
If you get there try Henry's, Shelikof Lodge and Best Western Inn in the downtown area. El Chicano has expanded but they tend to only hire locals. Same with King's Diner which is out towards Safeway.
Kodiak is a big time fishing town so activity really ramps up during the summer season and there is a lot of seasonal hiring.

Ok, well that makes sense that employers would rather not deal long distance. Thank you for your help! I really appreciate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska