Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 03:11 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,226,380 times

Advertisements

4 liters is equal to about 1.11 gallons, a little over a tenth of a gallon more. Therefore, if a gallon costs $4.00 US, 4 liters would be worth about $4.40 US. US dollars are about (aboot?) $1.06 Canadian, adding another 6 percent into the equation. Costs are not that dis-similar (dissimilar?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 05:09 PM

123 posts, read 747,552 times
My family and I drove the Al-Can 1977. It was mostly dirt then as I recall.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:13 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,819,676 times
I drove it a year ago. Down and up. It was awesome in April. A little rough either side of thr Alaska/Canada border from frost heaves. Don't hit a bison!

Old 06-06-2007, 11:44 AM

222 posts, read 1,410,877 times
do they accept credit cards at all the gas stations in canada?visa or mastercard. or what percent, what is the largest amount of miles that someone has driven without anything else? ie: last gas station or restaurant for 100 miles or 160 km. do they have signs in miles and km or just km? do they have places that do oil changes as soon as you enter alaska? what does the town of Tok have in it? gas station, grocery, libraby, what? thanks for hte info. what about the towns in BC or Yukon?

Old 06-06-2007, 12:03 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,819,676 times
I converted american to canadian and used cash. I believe anyplace accepts credit cards tho. I drove 965 miles one day. Stopping only for food and fuel. Usually I went from 600 to 900 miles a day. I got a room everynight around midnight, and was on the road by 7 or 8 AM. I drove through Tok and stayed the night in Mentasta. A little road side place with about 4 or 5 cabins, and a small bar/restraunt. I swear the food is the best, and the beer is the coldest.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:00 PM

395 posts, read 1,716,608 times
I've lived on credit cards going through Canada and assumed I would get the best exchange rate when the bank convert. That was partially true. The prob is the Card Co. would charge a fee for the conversion which negates the "best" exchange rate. So, if U can convert in cash at a good rate, that may be the way to go. I am planning to call my credit card Cos. to find out which charge the least.Still, cards are convenient especially if you don't want to carry a lot of cash. It is the bill at the end of the month that hurts. 2 years ago, I spent nearly 3 months going across Canada from coast to coast as far as New Foundland. @ 8mpg, U can imagine the bill just for fuel bill alone. Thank goodness for credit cards.
Now, for a young person, driving long hours w/only short breaks is possible. But, U know and I know, as we reach the senior area, it is a lot safer for everyone to cut back on the driving hours w/lots of breaks in between even if you are driving a comfortable car. If you are driving a big rig or a camper, the truckers will tell you, it is more challenging and therefore, more tiring.
Have a good and safe trip. Perhaps I will see you on the road. my rig is just loading up for Friday.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:13 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMFEB31 View Post
Hi Cold', what are diesel prices? I am heading up coming Fri and I know I have to tank up twice before making Alaska. @ 8mpg, U guys going to bleed me dry.
We drove the highway April this year, in a 1 ton dually diesel the trip from Northern Nevada cost us $1432.00 one way that is for only fuel. We averaged 9 mpg.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:19 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night of Stars View Post
I would like to know how long it took to get from Bellingham to Anchorage on the Al-Can, and how much money it cost you at today's high gas prices!

Also, how much did you drive each day to get there that fast? We will have one driver so don't want to drive so long prone to wrecks from tiredness, etc.

Any tips on this matter, and the prices of fuel in American dollars in British Columbia are GREATLY NEEDED!

We want to be safe and bring enough gas money.

Thank you.
We drove the highway in April, the higway is in great shape until you get closer to the Alaska boarder on the Canadian side it turns to YUK real quick. It took us 4 days from Salem OR to Anchorage, I would venture to say you will need at least $1,000 for fuel alone. We went down to Northern Nevada and the one way trip cost $1432.00 in fuel

Old 06-06-2007, 06:57 PM

222 posts, read 1,410,877 times
What information did you need to cross the border everyone? drivers licence? Passport? Birth Certificate? Hoe long did it actually take to cross into canada and then cross back into the usa at alaska? do theyt look for anything specifially, anything that seems common but you shouldnt bring? like boxcutters? funny, i went into a courthouse, and they took my boxcutter from me, they still let me in, but oh well. Also propane for a grill is probably not important right? and also what do they mean by 'do you want to declare anything' i never understood that, i was in brazil and canada before and i remember being asked that. also last question.... do they have tax free cigarettes there and what are you allowed to bring back into the usa/ i dont smoke, but my dad does and I was thinking about getting him something. Thanks Take care. ~Dan~

Old 06-06-2007, 09:52 PM

395 posts, read 1,716,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openless View Post
What information did you need to cross the border everyone? drivers licence? Passport? Birth Certificate? Hoe long did it actually take to cross into canada and then cross back into the usa at alaska? do theyt look for anything specifially, anything that seems common but you shouldnt bring? like boxcutters? funny, i went into a courthouse, and they took my boxcutter from me, they still let me in, but oh well. Also propane for a grill is probably not important right? and also what do they mean by 'do you want to declare anything' i never understood that, i was in brazil and canada before and i remember being asked that. also last question.... do they have tax free cigarettes there and what are you allowed to bring back into the usa/ i dont smoke, but my dad does and I was thinking about getting him something. Thanks Take care. ~Dan~
Going up thru Canada, a passport will get you across. Surely, U would have a driver's licence if you are behind the wheel. For personal use, U can nearly bring anything including the kitchen sink except firearms and explosive. If U are a hunter, U declare the hunter type weapon(s), indicate how and where they are stored, unloaded, of course. Ammo must be stored separate. I am sure they will wish to inspect. Well, that was at least how it was when I went thru in 97'. They've went thru our RV w/a fine tooth comb that year.
The last few times was much easier. Coming back to the lower 48 was much harder. No beef product allowed nor exotic plaints and many fruits. They took my ginger root I've carried from Ca. and back. I won't swear to it but I believe $10k cash is max. into Canada. I don't no about your coffin nails but, Canada seem to tax everything heavily. It seem perscription drugs are the only thing less expensive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska