Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 11:26 AM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,363 times

Advertisements

Beginning July 1 you will need a passport to get thru the Canadian border, when we passed thru in April we jut gave them our passport (very easy) all other times we gave them our drivers license but the passport is the way to go. We've been throu the border more than 9 times in the last several years and we have never been searched, my husband has long hair but I guess he just answered their questions correctly.

Getting over the USA border is much more difficult then getting into Canada, possibly they are trained to be jerks but there again never been searched they just don't come across as pleasant people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 09:11 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
I drove down to Seattle last spring around this time and the gas prices were at its highest just like now. It took me three days to Seattle and three days back up. The best thing to do is take your time and follow the speed limit(they're in Kilometers) and keep your gas up on the top end of half tank, this is usually cheaper on the wallet. You can eat cheap too, theres a Mcdonalds in every town up to Fort. St. John and A&Ws in the rest of the towns except for Watson Lake, Yukon. Don't forget to stop in Laird River Hot Springs, it is one of the best thing you can do after a long day on the road. Make sure to pull over and rest when you need to, "the next rest stop" takes a long time to get to when tired. I'm driving down to Chicago and back at the end of July, this will be my 11th time on the Alcan and it gets better everytime I drive it. This will be my 4th trip in my Ford Ranger, if you have a pickup truck, get a topper for it, makes a good water proof tent!

Old 06-22-2007, 11:55 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
I drove the Alaska Highway with some friends when it was a gravel road back in the early 70's, and boy did we moan and gripe about that outrageous 55 cents a gallon gasoline which was way higher than the 25 cents a gallon price in Boulder, CO.

I agree with warptman ... remember to stop and enjoy the Liard River Hot Springs. It's the best stop along the entire route.

enjoy your drive....Franco

Old 06-22-2007, 03:06 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
Liard Hot Springs was one of our stops two years ago on the way out of AK and worth it. We never had a problem getting fuel and from Dawson Creek we opted to take the remote route to Hinton and then go through Banff and Jasper Parks. Down in Kootenay park area we stayed in Iverness which was near Radium Hot Springs which was a great place to swim and relax at the end of the day. For those travelling I would very much suggest to take your time unless you are on some sort of tigh schedule. Fuel costs what it costs and when you really think about it the cost for what you are getting in terms of the experience makes it worth it. Fortunately, of the four times down and back when we lived up there I was able to give myself extra time to stop and check out the areas we went through. I could never understand the marathon mentality to plow through when it is not necessary. Some of my best memories and experiences of life up north were were from the trips on the Alcan, Cassier, and the other various approach routes.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:10 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
I forgot to mention that I have a photo album of my Alcan trip last year, go here.............Bethel Alaska Photo Gallery - Joe Joe's Alcan Trip 2006

Old 06-28-2007, 07:22 AM

95 posts, read 351,696 times
Default just curious...

I was wondering about the route. Say you were going to cross into Canada at Sweetgrass Montana/Coutts AB and go up to Calgary, why wouldn't you go west through Banff and take the Yellowhead Highway through BC (hwy 16 and then 37).

I don't know that it would be much difference, but it appears on an atlas map that there are more little towns along that route.

The Alcan is probably a better road, since its more famous. I haven't picked up a Milepost yet, so I can assure you that I don't know what I'm talking about!

We're seriously considering driving the new daughter-in-law's car up to Anchorage for her, instead of her shipping it. She sent most of her belongings with my son when his company moved him up there, so all she has left is the car, some clothing, and the wedding gifts. When we did the math, it appears that it can be driven for about half the cost of shipping.

We'd be doing this right after the first of September. I'm guessing (again!) that the trees will be changing colors but the weather would still be ok...

I'd appreciate any advice on this trip.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:57 AM

13 posts, read 104,612 times
I read on the U.S. Passport website that a passport to cross over the Canadian-US border isn't necessary if driving. Only necessary if flying. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Old 06-28-2007, 08:14 AM

scoobagirl

It's a no-brainer in my opinion. Take the Icefields Parkway through Banff & Jasper, then take the Yellowhead Highway west from there. You can pick up 97 in Prince George to Dawson Creek, or continue farther west on The Yellowhead Highway to Smithers, then north on 37. I've never driven 37, but everyone I've talked to who has driven it, says it is spectacular.

The Icefields Parkway thru Banff & Jasper is the most scenic drive in North America. There is nothing along the Alaska Highway to rival the Canadian Rockies thru Banff & Jasper...NOTHING!

:: Icefields Parkway ::

Have a great trip....Franco

PS: I'm jealous!

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 06-28-2007 at 08:23 AM..

Old 06-28-2007, 08:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Does driving the Alaska Highway in 1968 count as recently? We still remember the trip and would do it again if we had the time and money. This time we would stay in the US for as long as possible because of the relative gasoline prices.

I agree that the Icefields Highway is way more senic. Take it if possible.

Last edited by GregW; 06-28-2007 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 06-28-2007, 08:17 AM

warptman

Thanks for sharing your photos. Looking at them brings back some great memories of my 4 trips along the Alaska Highway in the early to mid 70's. It's weird to see the paved road...it was all gravel when I drove it except from Dawson Creek to Ft St Johns and a 20 mile stretch aound Whitehorse. ( It is said that every vehichle travelling the route back then would experience a cracked windshield from flying gravel. Ironically, it happened on the paved section near Whtehorse! ) My first trip which originated in Boulder, also included a visit to Astoria...so it was great to see the Astoria photos too.

Thanks again.....Franco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska