Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2010, 08:03 PM

4 posts, read 19,070 times

Advertisements

Hey, all! I currently live in Utah and there is a good chance I will be moving to Kodiak, Alaska for the summer to pursue an internship opportunity (May-August). I have done a little bit of research on the town/island, and it looks like a great place! That being said, there is still a lot of information I would like to know before moving up there.
Any information you are willing to share would be helpful. Is there anything specific I should know about Kodiak other than the general information I can find online?
I am looking forward to the outdoor opportunities that Kodiak has to offer, but what is the town like? Is there much to do? Are there any specific locations where I can go to meet the "younger crowds", such as bars, etc.? (I'm a 21 year old guy, almost 22).
I'd appreciate any info you might have! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 09:39 PM

251 posts, read 706,554 times
Find a place to live way before you actually move there. It's a major Coast Guard town and the base doesn't have enough housing for their members, so the real estate is notoriously hard to come by, both in rentals and for sale properties. And remember, if you use an agency that's there (Alaska One or Island Brokers) don't expect miracles like finding a place quickly or low rental rates; it's a seller's market for certain.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:42 PM

251 posts, read 706,554 times
Oh, almost forgot, May is Crab Fest time so expect temporary lodging to be extra hard to come by. (Hotels and B&Bs come to mind.) As for the bar scene, they can be a bit rough with the fish processor folks and commercial fishermen; just don't be a tool and you'll be fine.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:35 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,843 times
bears will eat you if you're outside for longer than 15 minutes at a time. folks in kodiak are in great shape- they're always running from building to building.

they stopped reporting the bear attacks when there got to be too many to keep track of.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:52 AM

4 posts, read 19,070 times
Spleenificus, thanks for the info, but the internship position would provide housing for me, so that's taken care of!

Bortstc37, come on now. Nice try, but you're not fooling me!

Last edited by UTAK; 03-03-2010 at 09:16 AM..

Old 03-03-2010, 08:58 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,112 times
I was stationed in Kodiak years ago and I absolutely loved the town. I've gone back several times since and it hasn't changed much.

Enjoy your stay.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:07 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,614,728 times
I've never been into the bar scene, but Henry's has great food and atmosphere. There's plenty of drinking establishments in Kodiak.
As I saw it, Kodiak had 3 different worlds. There were they Coast Guard people, the locals, and those there working in the fishing industry.
Prices are higher in Kodiak, so be ready for that.
Just being there for the summer should be great. People that are there long term can go a little stir crazy.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:49 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,261 times
If you have housing already figured out thats the hardest part. There are a few different drinking establishments here but there is nothing new or interesting ever going on in them. I personally don't drink but a couple times a year so you'll find out more than me by trying all the different places out. As far as food there are a few nice restaurants to eat in town like Henry's and the Old Powerhouse. Mountains are everywhere if you're into hiking or photography. We also have local crazies who surf here and have been spotted routinely doing so even in the winter. The fishing here is world class and nothing beats some of the fresh fish you can get your hands on. Some of the favorites here are yellow eye, king salmon, halibut, and ling cod. They also have hunting here if you're into that sort of thing for bears, black tail deer, and mountain goats. They grow buffalo here on one part of the island if you wanted to pay to go shoot one and attempt to fit him in your fridge afterwords.

Weather wise we are probably the warmest in Alaska for the winters. It rarely goes below freezing here and when it does its usually for a day or two at the most. We usually get rain all winter and it hovers in the mid to upper 30's. Summers here get into the mid to upper 60's with the occasional day in the 70's. Sometimes it will be gray outside for a few weeks in a row and won't stop raining. If you have seasonal depression be prepared to take it in the rear end.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,620 times
Default Changes in Kodiak

I lived in Kodiak back in 1976 and 1977. Couple of questions. When was the bridge built over to Near Island, and when did they tear down the Beachcomber Bar? It was in an old ship that was hauled up somewhere out on Mission Road. Seems like there have been a lot of changes in 35 years. I think the last time I was in Kodiak was around 1978.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska