Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2010, 09:22 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,810,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Way to police your thread capn.
ya....whats wrong with that guy posting something like that in an Alaska thread Marty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 11:03 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
Who gives a crap about gem hunting....this ain't the friggen North Carolina forum

Mack....take it somewhere else.
wow...where you having just a bad day or are you always this grouchy???

Old 03-21-2010, 11:31 AM

7,507 posts, read 5,755,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
And, with a grizzly, a little slobbering with the jaw-popping pretty much alerts ya that his level of tolerable stress has been reached.

At that point there are a number of things to do and not to do...

Do we care to expand on that...?
Before or after one $hits their pants?

Old 03-21-2010, 06:28 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Before or after one $hits their pants?
does this mean we all now should wear depends daily if hiking or photographing???

Old 03-21-2010, 08:08 PM

speak only for yourself please....

Old 03-30-2010, 09:19 PM

941 posts, read 1,793,109 times
3/20 quote ... ... "the words I quoted are purportedly from a statement released by F&G and are referenced as such by ADN. The fact F&G hasn't refuted the statements quoted by ADN are supporting evidence that they were quoted correctly. Then the statement released by F&G to the TV and news organizations that their hired killer shot collared wolves he had been told not to shoot after he saw the collars seems to say they can't control actions by their employees. Together they don't give me any reason to place any faith in F&G. They have released many statements since the incident occurred and haven't refuted any of them so I must take them at their word. Do you think the killer has excellent eyesight and was a marksman? I would think F&G would have put forth the best they had to offer shooting from such a platform. He admits to seeing collars but there is no indication he is being disciplined for not following orders. Sounds like a cover up to me."

I posted the above on 3/20 when there was a question about F&G being in a position where they might be the guilty party in an action they had taken. At the time the story was F&G's hired killer had seen the collars and shot anyway, then it appeared there was a miscommunication and maybe the Park people were to blame, then the story changed again from what was quoted. Today it appears F&G's paid assassin did shoot after he saw the collars but F&G had left those wolves's
radio frequencies off the list by accident. I previously said it smelled like a cover-up and I'm going to say if all mistakes that F&G makes have similar results then I still smell something. Why did they say he saw the collars, then he didn't see the collars, and now they say he saw the collars but because he didn't have a complete list of radio frequencies he had to shoot? Why not just say
'collars don't shoot'? Would be sensible and wouldn't involve having to lie to cover your A (CYA)?

Old 03-30-2010, 10:36 PM

90 posts, read 222,691 times
Great thread. I have only been a tourist in several visits to Alaska. However, I have never been dumb enough to run in a wilderness area with my ears covered. Sorry-but the whole human race has gone STUPID!!! Nature is what nature is. And all of this imbecilic business of giving wild animals "human" feelings is crazy. At one time, I lived up in the Sierras-right on top of the El Dorado National Forest. I had a lovely home in a rural area, a huge yard and a 9 foot fence with the most elaborate rock barriers on the outside that I had ever seen. The neighbors informed me: the previous owner had moved up there from San Jose, all ready to embrace the rural lifestyle. Well, he saw his 3 yro
daughter out playing in the back of the house one day-and then the mountain lion up in the tree watching her also. I guess he immediately got a crew up to the new wilderness hacienda-and said crew explained that the forest also contained bears, snakes, coyotes, etc. The guy almost went ballistic, hence the rock barriers and the 9 feet. Someone later thought they saw wolverine in the forest and the nature lovers went gaga. One teacher in the area was so excited that she could "show" her students a real-live-wolverine! How stupid can someone be?? Do they think that the pioneers made up the stories of babies carried offf people killed in cabins, or on trails: or that a coyote will leap a 6 foot fence, steal a small child or dog, and be gone before you can stop it??? Animal Planet is currently running an entire series on Fatal Attractions:nitwits living with komodo dragons, snakes, lions, chimpanzees,etc. I live in California, and I am sick of the self educated "experts" dictating life to the rest of us.
People should admire wild animals and nature for what it is. To try to attribute feelings, thought processes, or rights to them is ridiculous. Respect them, but be prepared to defend you and yours.
That being said-Alaska Rocks!!

Old 03-30-2010, 10:50 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
3/20 quote ... ... "the words I quoted are purportedly from a statement released by F&G and are referenced as such by ADN. The fact F&G hasn't refuted the statements quoted by ADN are supporting evidence that they were quoted correctly. Then the statement released by F&G to the TV and news organizations that their hired killer shot collared wolves he had been told not to shoot after he saw the collars seems to say they can't control actions by their employees. Together they don't give me any reason to place any faith in F&G. They have released many statements since the incident occurred and haven't refuted any of them so I must take them at their word. Do you think the killer has excellent eyesight and was a marksman? I would think F&G would have put forth the best they had to offer shooting from such a platform. He admits to seeing collars but there is no indication he is being disciplined for not following orders. Sounds like a cover up to me."

I posted the above on 3/20 when there was a question about F&G being in a position where they might be the guilty party in an action they had taken. At the time the story was F&G's hired killer had seen the collars and shot anyway, then it appeared there was a miscommunication and maybe the Park people were to blame, then the story changed again from what was quoted. Today it appears F&G's paid assassin did shoot after he saw the collars but F&G had left those wolves's
radio frequencies off the list by accident. I previously said it smelled like a cover-up and I'm going to say if all mistakes that F&G makes have similar results then I still smell something. Why did they say he saw the collars, then he didn't see the collars, and now they say he saw the collars but because he didn't have a complete list of radio frequencies he had to shoot? Why not just say
'collars don't shoot'? Would be sensible and wouldn't involve having to lie to cover your A (CYA)?
Well the bright side is those wolves won't be killing any more moose or caribou. Having a radio collar or not shouldn't have been a factor of shooting or not. The reason they were killing the wolves is because there were too many and they were over killing the rest of the wildlife.

Nobody complains about the moose getting their legs and belly ripped open and the terror they go though inflicted by the wolf. Nature has nothing gentle about it.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:41 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
A wolf with a collar is just as able and willing to drop a food source as one without a collar. I don't see why any of the wolves should be shot in the first place...they were doing what wolves do...whether the lady was jogging with ear buds or not...I doubt she would have heard them coming anyway. She was in the wrong place at the right time and there is nothing anyone can do about that now. If shooting any and all wolves is what is being called for, then by all means shoot them all and let God sort them out. Collars or not. I just wish our gov'ment would do the same to the low life predators of women that seems to have broken out across this country lately. Why is it some rapist murder get's free room and board paid for by my hardworking self...and some critter thats just doing what they've been doing for eons gets a bullet upside the head?

We're shooting the wrong targets! Spare the wolves...shoot the damn rapist/murderers!

Old 03-30-2010, 11:53 PM

Thats why I carry a 40 cal. handgun everyday....

The wolves don't bother me much..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska