Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 06:42 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,886,698 times

Advertisements

FRED MEYER
Safeway
Here are the Fred Meyers (Kroger) and Safeway weekly sale ads for Fairbanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 06:48 PM

204 posts, read 472,301 times
Wow, excellent post, RW! Made me long even more to be in Fairbanks. lol Thankfully for me since I'll be attending the University and living on campus, I don't have to worry much about commuting and housing options. I'm sure you answered a lot of peoples' questions with this post...

ETA: Thanks for the Supermarket circulars, Go. =)

Old 03-26-2010, 08:28 PM

17 posts, read 28,868 times
Smile thank you

Thank you for all the information....to everyone, though I am replying only to this reply (lol) I am asthmatic, so the air quality in Fairbanks is something I will have to think about, however....even with all you mentioned it can be no worse than some places in the lower 48, and at times much better.

I had wondered what the drives would be like in winter, which makes me lean toward Anchorage, which seems to have a milder winter.

At any rate thank you for the information. Have a great day!

Old 03-26-2010, 09:44 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanality View Post
Greetings Forum users. I am thinking of taking a nursing job (toss up several goverment entities) either in Anchorage or Fairbanks. I have done quite a bit of research ( as much as I can) and can get quite a bit of information for Anchorage, but Fairbaks...hardly anything. So here goes:

1) How much is a 1 bedroom apartment in both, as long as the driving distance in a reasonable closeness to the VA or AFB is not issue to me. Keep in mind I need internet access, cable, and would rather have all bills paid. I did some research on Fairbanks this morning and could find NOTHING for rent, not even a tent.

2) Cell phone carriers, and costs.

3) What do gorceries cost? Egss, milk, HB meat, steak, vegetables (canned) how much would be the makings for a chef salad? What would I expect to pay per week for groceries? What is the cost of going out to eat say at a steak house etc.

4) Should I bring my car or purchase one up there? Cost of gas and a quart of oil? What would it cost and how long to drive from Spokane to Anchorage driving....could I drive all the way to fairbanks? Speaking of cars....what does a tire cost/routine maintenance, such as a tune-up? What would a decent 2nd hand car cost? I am not into luxury....a vehicle that will get me around, stays warm and looks 1/2 way decent.

5) I have allergies....how would I fair as far as allergies in spring/summer?

6) What is there to do? I am single and would like to date, would I have any problems in that area?

7) I have seen the averages for temprature.....what about the wind? does the wind blow all the time....what is the average?

8) share with me anything you wish, I would like to get information from someone that lives there year around. my email is dfwcher@yahoo.com]

Thank you in advance for all the information e1 !!!!!!
The VA Office in Fairbanks, or Eielson AFB? The only air base around Fairbanks is Eielson, and this is located approximately eight miles past North Pole. So, to drive from Eielson to Fairbanks is approximately 25 miles (Eielson to North Pole 8 miles, plus 17+ miles to Fairbanks from North Pole).

Iternet: you have a few choices. There is SAT, cable, landline from several companies.

We have a package: long distance landline telephone plus DSL modem, plus 2 cell phones (300-minute limit for both). This package is the cheapest one we found, and pay around $90.00 per month (telephone $24.00, modem (Internet) $24.00, cell phones around $49.00).

Food: Very expensive, but OK when on sale at Fred Meyer and Safeway, or at Sam’s Club and Walmart

Chinese food for one, Pagoda $12.00
Milk = $3.00-$5.00 per gallon depending on what you want
Bread = $2.50+
Eggs = $2.79 dozen
NY steaks = around $5.00 lb on sale
Halibut = $16.99 lb
Salmon = $8.99 red, silver (more for King)
Butter = $2.00 per pack (on sale)
Bananas = $.79 per pound
Radishes = $.50 per bunch
Potatoes = $4.00 per 10-lb bag
Grapes = $3.50 lb (on sale)
Frozen chicken tenderloins (whatever that means) = $7.99 per 2-1/2 lb pack
Whole chicken at Sam’s Club = $12.00 per pack of two

You can bring your car, or buy here. But if you buy here, more than likely it will be winterized already (not always, just most times).

Gasoline = around $3.45 per gallon in Fairbanks
Mobil 1 synthetic oil = $46.00 per gallon at NAPA, $22.00 for same at Walmart, and around $6.49 per quart at Eileson AFB
Mechanic shop (for repairs) = around $80.00 per hour labor, plus parts
ATV mechanical work = around $90.00 per hour plus parts

Allergies? Lots of pollen from willow within three weeks or so, followed by birch, fireweed, cottonwood, and so forth

If you are a woman you should not have any trouble finding dates. Lots of lonely people around here (most in heat , and others drunk. So be careful and choosy.

Temperatures? Think this way: -60 to +80 and you will have the bases covered

Share anything? Lots of STD’s in Alaska, so be safe (just having fun. Please don’t take it the wrong way)

Old 03-26-2010, 09:45 PM

I looked in the Miner classifieds and could not find one single rental. Howver someone turned me onto Craiglist. Thanks a gazillion, you all have been very informative.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:54 PM

lol Don't tell me the dating scene isn't good for us single guys... lol I may just have to change my mind about UAF. Just teasing... I'm not coming to Alaska for the women. BUT... I read the statistics on the UAF site and it said 60% of the student population is female.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:54 PM

I have another maybe silly question, but is there mass transportation in Fairbanks in town, or to Eiselson? I know there is in Anchorage. I have no problems driving, even in winter, but with temps like what you all have mentioned.....driving 25 miles might be something else.....unless maybe you carpooled. Anyway you guys have been so helpful as far as information. I have the feeling I would love living in Alaska

Old 03-26-2010, 09:55 PM

I do know there's a few buses that runs in Fairbanks and it's free to college students. Not sure of the routes, but I'm sure someone will chime in for you. =)

ETA: Just found some. I think this might be the one...

http://fairbanks-alaska.com/fairbanks-buses.htm

Old 03-26-2010, 10:10 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAFBoundYankee View Post
lol Don't tell me the dating scene isn't good for us single guys... lol I may just have to change my mind about UAF. Just teasing... I'm not coming to Alaska for the women. BUT... I read the statistics on the UAF site and it said 60% of the student population is female.
Being celibate for a few years will help you concentrate on your studies.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Being celibate for a few years will help you concentrate on your studies.

Yeah, seriously... lol Women seem to have a way of distracting guys from their studies. No worries for me, though. Like I said, I'm not coming to Alaska for the women... lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska