Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:21 AM

26 posts, read 57,587 times

Advertisements

Thank you to everyone for sharing a wealth of information! I like the idea of buying pickup with camper, so I might end up doing that. Or I'll simply change my license, buy a vehicle, then sell it when I leave and change my license back in my home state. In any case, I have a lot of options, and none of them are much hassle.

I am a US citizen, icarian, so it's a matter of states, not countries.

Thanks again,

Twink
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 11:13 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Buy a minivan and take the back seats out and put in a mattress!

Old 04-12-2010, 11:35 AM

109 posts, read 335,304 times
ive been living here almost 2 years now and neither me or my better half have gotten an ak liscense yet. we bought a car here at cals in anchorage, and there was no trouble putting it in our name. technically you're supposed to get an ak id after 90 days, but if your only staying a year then moving out of state, dont worry about it, you'll be fine.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:32 PM

31 posts, read 55,743 times
Question: If I buy a car there, and plan to stay under 90 days, can I keep the insurance and junk I have in Indiana, or will I need to change everything?

Someone told me it was expensive to register and get insurance in Alaska - just wondering how many expenses I would indeed be facing if I were to get something for my shorter stay. Thank you in advance!

Old 04-12-2010, 01:13 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,734,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubwill View Post
Question: If I buy a car there, and plan to stay under 90 days, can I keep the insurance and junk I have in Indiana, or will I need to change everything?

Someone told me it was expensive to register and get insurance in Alaska - just wondering how many expenses I would indeed be facing if I were to get something for my shorter stay. Thank you in advance!
If you are returning to your home state and going to use your old vehicle then do not cancel the insurance or registration for that short of time!! you can hold a registration and insurance in several states at one time...

Old 04-12-2010, 02:25 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,922,297 times
Chances are you wouldn't have a problem like akbound08 noted although this from the Alaska DMV site:

Frequently Asked Questions

I am planning a trip to Alaska or moving to Alaska. When must I obtain an Alaska vehicle registration?
You may drive a vehicle that is currently registered in another state for up to 60 days in Alaska. After that time, you must obtain an Alaska registration. If you obtain employment in Alaska, you must obtain an Alaska registration within 10 days. (If you are active duty military and maintain registration in your home of record or attending a college or university as a full-time student, you are not required to obtain Alaska registration.)

Old 04-12-2010, 03:21 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,020,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akbound08 View Post
ive been living here almost 2 years now and neither me or my better half have gotten an ak liscense yet.
This post has been forwarded to the Alaska DMV. Expect random traffic stops in Valdez starting any day now.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:40 PM

109 posts, read 335,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
This post has been forwarded to the Alaska DMV. Expect random traffic stops in Valdez starting any day now.
oh crap!

Old 04-14-2010, 10:23 PM

31 posts, read 55,743 times
I looked at the DMV link, but I am still not sure what I would be required to do. At home my parents have always taken care of the insurance and registration of my vehicle; since I am a full-time student I've been able to stay on their policy.

I guess my question would be, what will I need if I purchase a used vehicle to use during the 3 months I am in Alaska? I am not sure yet if I will, but if I find work that will let me stay longer than the 3 month trial, I definitely want to get some wheels!

I am not familiar with the inspections and stuff, but I assume if you have a Craigslist post that says something like, "tags good til 11/30," that when the next inspection would be, and would not be another immediate cost I would have to consider?

Past that, I would assume I would need to transfer the title and have that confirmed and be registered at a DMV branch? Finally I would need to be insured, but if I "plan" to go back to school this fall, does anyone know if I could still be covered by the policy I have here at home, only have it switched to my new vehicle?

I appreciate the information! Since it will be my first time doing this myself, your human replies are much easier to decipher than DMV info. Thank you x 10!!

Old 04-15-2010, 10:57 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
I believe if your tags are good for awhile, all you need to do is pay the change of registration fee. The inspection is an Anchorage thing, so if you don't live or commute there, you don't need it. We insured the cars our kids had when they were away at school with no problem. We had to be part owner of the cars and they had to have Alaska plates. The plate deal may have been specific to our insurance agent. Check with your insurance agent to see what their requirements are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska