Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 01:41 PM

432 posts, read 760,637 times

Advertisements

I just returned from a short trip to Alaska. I don't think I'll be referring to what we have here in Georgia as "mountains" anymore.

Such beautiful scenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 02:12 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDawg View Post
I just returned from a short trip to Alaska. I don't think I'll be referring to what we have here in Georgia as "mountains" anymore.

Such beautiful scenery.
aren't the Alaskan mountains amazing??!!! glad you had a great trip!

Old 04-20-2010, 02:15 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,996 times
Quote:

Such beautiful scenery.
Heh...I remember picking up someone at the airport years ago. It was a cloudy day and he couldn't see any mountains. We were headed to Palmer and stopped for gas in Peters Creek. You could just see the top of a small "mountain" overlooking Peters Creek, there was brush all the way to the top. He kept bugging me about that "mountain", wanted to know the name of it, how high it was etc. I kept saying "I don't know". Finally I told him to forget that little hill, it wasn't a mountain and even though I had driven by it all my life I had never noticed it or thought of it as a mountain. He looked at me strangely but understood better when the clouds lifted.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Heh...I remember picking up someone at the airport years ago. It was a cloudy day and he couldn't see any mountains. We were headed to Palmer and stopped for gas in Peters Creek. You could just see the top of a small "mountain" overlooking Peters Creek, there was brush all the way to the top. He kept bugging me about that "mountain", wanted to know the name of it, how high it was etc. I kept saying "I don't know". Finally I told him to forget that little hill, it wasn't a mountain and even though I had driven by it all my life I had never noticed it or thought of it as a mountain. He looked at me strangely but understood better when the clouds lifted.
Actually, I never left Anchorage, but the "hills" surrounding the place are bigger than anything we have in north Georgia. I've been to the Rockies, the Alps, and the Himalayas, so I've seen big ranges, but the sense of sheer immensity I felt there was profound.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:33 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,021,418 times
Quote:
Actually, I never left Anchorage, but the "hills" surrounding the place are bigger than anything we have in north Georgia. I've been to the Rockies, the Alps, and the Himalayas, so I've seen big ranges, but the sense of sheer immensity I felt there was profound.
I don't think there are any Mountains east of the Mississippi, are there?

You are correct, the Mountains in Alaska look markedly different from others such as the Rockies, Alps, etc. It's probabaly due how recently the glaciers have shaped them, that they are stilll very sharp and jagged. If you ever get a chance to drive the Alcan, you will see this very dramatically. As you get up through the Yukon starting towards Haines Jct, you will suddenly start to see a huge range of mountains way up ahead - the Eastern flank of the Wrangels. As you get closer they only get bigger, and bigger, until the only thing left is to actually feel the definition of the word awesome on a visceral level. You'll definitely know then where Canada stops and Alaska begins.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:40 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,261 times
You came to town and didn't give us a warning?

Old 04-20-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
You came to town and didn't give us a warning?
Like a thief in the night. Sorry about that. I was focused on a job fair. It appears, though, that I'll be coming back in a few months.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
I don't think there are any Mountains east of the Mississippi, are there?
Bite your tongue, sir. They're called the Appalachians, and they're a respectable range in this part of the world.

Quote:
You are correct, the Mountains in Alaska look markedly different from others such as the Rockies, Alps, etc. It's probabaly due how recently the glaciers have shaped them, that they are stilll very sharp and jagged.
The Himalayas is still a young range, geologically speaking, and I can assure you that they're rough and jagged.

Quote:
...to actually feel the definition of the word awesome on a visceral level.
Well spoken, sir.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:07 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,021,418 times
Quote:
The Himalayas is still a young range, geologically speaking, and I can assure you that they're rough and jagged.
Haven't had a chance to experience those yet. I look forward to making the comparison with my own eyes someday!

Be sure to let us know when you make it back up this way and have more time...

Last edited by Moose Whisperer; 04-20-2010 at 10:20 PM..

Old 04-20-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Haven't had a chance to experience those yet. I look forward to making the comparison with my own eyes someday!
It's the only other place in the world that has impressed me like Alaska has. Watching the sun set over Everest while enjoying a cup of Darjeeling makes my all-time list of awesome moments.

Quote:
Let us know when you make it back up this way and have more time...
If things go as I think they will, I'll be in Anchorage right at the end of July for a week or so before heading out to the bush. I'll definitely let y'all know the next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska