Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 07:15 PM

8 posts, read 21,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
First things first, find a job! Then figure out what you can handle for a commute and afford. Commuting from the Catskills to Schenectady will DEFINITELY be well over 30 minutes! Even without weather or traffic issues. Wanting to live in a hill town is fine, but be prepared for the differences in weather especially in winter. Schoharie can get hit with a snowstorm out of nowhere and I88 can be shut down so you're stuck using Route 7 in a snowstorm with snow drifts like the Arctic circle. Meanwhile, the weather will be fine in Schenectady. Strange, but very true.

Look on Google maps for areas around where you're looking for jobs. You can see how long the travel is in good weather without traffic - accidents, construction, road closures, etc.

Wegman's isn't east of Syracuse. You won't find them anywhere near the Capitol Region. There are several grocery chains - Hannaford, Price Chopper, The Fresh Market, Shop Rite, co-ops, farmer's markets, IGA, and many small town grocers. All depends on where you are which one you have. There's also plenty of WalMart Supercenters for groceries.

Thank You for the great info! We definitely will not be moving or making any big decisions until the job is secured. There seem to be many jobs in the area in my boyfriend's field (engineering), so that is part of the reason we began our search here. From what I have seen, the price of living seems to be pretty comparable to where we are coming from. Commuting 30-40 minutes is not a deal breaker for us, if it gives us the land and space we are desiring. Coming from Scranton, PA, we are very used to road construction and traffic.

Winter weather conditions do not scare us too much. We are actually hoping to move somewhere where it does get a good amount of snow. We both have all wheel drive vehicles, and have much experience driving in the winter.

It is very unfortunate that there are no nearby Wegman's. It really is the BEST and it will probably be one of the things I would miss most if we move there, haha wish I was kidding!!

Thanks again for everyone's impute! It has been a great help in my search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j12308 View Post
Here's something that is either a rental or for sale, so you can get an idea of what is available. 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, 2 acres.
59 Snake Hill Rd Glenville NY - Home for Rent - MLS #201126025 - Realtor.com® $1700/mo
59 Snake Hill Rd Glenville NY - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #201120671 - Realtor.com® $244,900
Thanks! That is really close to what we had in mind!

Old 11-14-2011, 06:07 AM

267 posts, read 971,668 times
What type of engineering? Mechanical? Structural? I'm just curious.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j12308 View Post
What type of engineering? Mechanical? Structural? I'm just curious.
Electrical/ Electronics

Old 12-03-2011, 07:55 PM

554 posts, read 1,508,328 times
you may want to check out marriaville! country enough with land but still close enough to things...

Old 12-05-2011, 12:47 PM

Thanks again to everyone for all the helpful replies! We are coming up the the area this week, after hearing back from a possible job. We cannot wait to explore some of these areas first hand. I really hope everything works out, we're keeping our fingers and toes crossed! Would anyone recommend Balston Spa?

Old 12-22-2011, 10:53 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
A lot of the country parts in Amsterdam aren't too bad. I have a lot of friends that live up there and I use to as well. Amsterdam is less than a half hour drive to Schenectady and a lot of people that live in Amsterdam work in Schenectady.

Actually, a lot of people who work in Schenectady also live in areas such as Johnstown (not a bad place to live) and Gloversville (don't recommend it).

Old 03-01-2012, 08:17 PM

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to let everyone know that we are moving to the area this week after accepting our job offers, although not in the quiet country area we thought we wanted. We realized that we wanted to be closer to everything while we get used to the area, so we are renting closer to Albany. Hopefully in a few years, we will move to a quieter area. Thanks to everyone for all the helpful information. It certainly has made this move much easier.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:45 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Broadalbin's very country, there are some nice country parts of Amsterdam (I use to live out that way near Minaville), and also Johnstown is alright if you want country.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:38 AM

93,377 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Perhaps places like Voorheesville, the Berne-Knox-Westerlo area, the Ravena-Coeymans-Selkirk area, Averill Park and parts of southern Saratoga County(i.e.-the Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake, Waterford and outer parts of the Shenendehowa school districts), among some others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area