Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 11,294 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband just got a job with GE so we're going to be moving to the area in july or september.
We have lots of questions regarding the move.

We would like to buy a house and are considering buying a duplex so that the other side can help pay the mortgage. I know duplexes are cheap in schenectady, but i've also heard that schenectady isn't very safe.

We have a 9 month old daughter so safety is our number one priority.

I have heard the nuscayuna area, saratoga springs, clifton park, scotia are nice. What do you guys think? Any other places I should look into? DH would be willing to commute if he needs to for us to find affordable housing in a safe place. We would like to find a place for $100,000 or less ideally. Is that possible? I've been looking at listings online and have found several houses and duplexes under 100000 but I have no idea if they are in good areas or not.

Thanks!

Allison
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 01:09 PM

255 posts, read 487,823 times
Can't really speak to the housing markets but in terms of safety the best parts of Schenectady are

The stockade district: Stockade Historic District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upper union street area: Upper Union Street Business Improvement District|Upper Union Street Business Improvement District

The GE Realty Plot: General Electric Realty Plot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And the area directly around Union College.

In terms of suburbs, Scotia is worth looking into. It could have a place in your price range. Places you listed like niskayuna, Saratoga and Clifton Park are probably not going to have a duplex in that price range. Places I would look into outside of Schenectady would be Rotterdam, Glenville, Altamont and western Guilderland.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:22 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Some other places that MAY have what you are looking for are: Gloversville, Johnstown and Ballston Spa in terms of duplexes, but I would check to make sure if they fit your criteria.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:04 PM

334 posts, read 851,718 times
hock41 gives good advice. There are lots of parts of Schenectady that are safe, especially around Central Park. The places hock41 lists are all good. Taxes are high everywhere in NY, but are especially high in Schenectady, so that scares people from buying there. A duplex is a good idea because you can always rent both units if you need to leave and can't sell the house.

Niskayuna is considered the toniest suburb in Schenectady Co, but that means that it is probably out of your price range and there are very few duplexes. Scotia and Rotterdam are good compromises - plenty safe, but not as ritzy as Niskayuna, thus more affordable. Both are very close to GE. The village of Scotia - inside the larger town of Scotia - is tiny but cute, actually has sidewalks, unlike many suburbs in the Capital District, and has a fun second-run movie theater. Depending on which GE facility your husband is working in, it may be just a short bike ride from "downtown" Scotia. Scotia is also known for Jumping Jacks, which has pretty mediocre food, but it is a fun place to hang out. In the summer, you can even see water ski teams perform there!

Old 05-26-2013, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,652 times
I would consider living in another area close by, commute times are short from outlying suburbs. Schenectady is quite dismal in many areas and if you are living in a duplex it can be very trying. Most duplex houses are built extremely close to one another. I lived in a duplex in schenectady for 6 years. The neighbors were the worst, we occupied the entire house, but the proximity of the neighbors was discomforting. They would fight, drink(out front, usually involving loud yelling and conversations) smoke weed (the stink would fill our house) and in general be obnoxious. Waking up often at 2am because of domestic violence or loud music was the worst. In general, I think the city of Schenectady has very few positives for residents.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:06 PM

267 posts, read 971,343 times
For a duplex in Schenectady I would focus on Upper Union St. and the Glenwood & Parkwood Blvds area, for starters. Central Park on the Union St. side, I would consider (Upper Union), the other side....certain streets, yes, others no. Glenwood & Parkwood are some of the most popular streets for two family homes - but focus on the side toward Nott St. closer to the hospital. There are several elementary schools, and certain ones are more desirable....which attendance zone, makes a big difference. Look for off street parking. I live very close, my kids go to the public schools. I love our school & neighborhood. Please contact me if you have any questions.

For example here's one: 1255-57 Glenwood Blvd, Schenectady, NY 12308 - New Home for Sale - realtor.com®

Old 05-27-2013, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 5,628 times
Listen....I have lived in Schenectady over 30 years. NOT in Rotterdam, Niskayuana, Scotia, but actually DIRECTLY within the City of Schenectady. Just like any other city in the US, there are bad parts as well as good parts.

The problem with Schenectady is, there is no job growth/creation which leads to high unemployment, drugs, and raises the crime rate (refer to the Times Union Article which reported Schenectady having the highest crime rate in the State of New York - higher than every NYC borough).

Glenwood Blvd / Parkwood have had it's share of problems (ALOT of motor vehicle break-in's).

Just stay out of certain areas, such as Hamilton Hill & Mt.Pleasant.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:49 PM

2 posts, read 11,294 times
Thank you so much for all of your replies. We have decided to rent instead. We found a potential place on Dean St right off of Upper Union. It sounds great. Is that a safe area?

thanks!

Old 06-04-2013, 08:41 AM

247 posts, read 525,718 times
Yep, upper Union is nice. There are festivals on the street every summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area