Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 09:19 AM

30 posts, read 86,681 times

Advertisements

This is one of my pet peeves after having moved to the area.

Take for example, Country Knolls off exits 10-11, which at one time was a middle class housing development, but the moment it entered the 1990s, people must have become aware of the substandard building practices used in the construction of this development (radiant heating, no central A/C, wooden windows, aluminum siding, above ground power lines in South Country Knolls) in relation to what better construction practices were available at that time around the country.

So when the baby boomers' kids were all off to college and the 2000s were approaching, all the equity was sucked out of the homes, so the parents were stuck in these crappy homes. They then decided to invest in upgrades (throwing good money after bad) by adding granite countertops and new bathrooms (even though they knew that you can't put perfume on a pig and these improvements would never add value to these deficient homes). So then the housing boom came and went... and people who still wanted to sell had to jack up their prices, which new construction builders were forced to lower their prices. Why would anyone buy a substandard close to 40 year-old-home for $270k when for $50k more they could get a brand new energy-star home? Of those people who did sell their homes at a loss or break-even point, their homes went to a younger generation of the lower social economic class for whom every single penny counted. So now, in addition to rapid infrastructure deterioration, the neighborhood has experienced an IQ drop, which then causes the school district to have an increase of less apt students (due to less educated parents), which reduces the quality of education of the entire school district.

And to think, all of this could have been avoided by building decent homes in the first place! I mean, really, was the developer and the people buying these homes initially proud of having air conditioners in windows causing the neighborhood to look like a trailer park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 05:07 PM

506 posts, read 1,025,927 times
I am pretty sure that a majority of the houses built in Clifton Park in the early seventies had radiant heating, no central air, wooden windows and aluminum siding. They were all kind of standard back then. As far as quality building practices, I lived in the area for many years and heard a great deal of positive feedback regarding VanPatten homes and no negative feedback.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:38 PM

I guess the point I was trying to get across was that upstate New York homebuilding has not been on par in the 70s-90s with home-building practices elsewhere in the country, even if they were not standardized across the nation. Having traveled lots of places in the U.S. has allowed me to compare late 60s/early 70s homes one-to-one to what this area offers and this area falls below average... I'm just saying. It's been since the early 90s that construction practices here have been standardized with the rest of the country... they still did radiant heating up here all through the 80s! I can forgive the lack of central air since that only came about in the late 60s, but aluminum windows for the home came about right after WWII. Wooden windows??? Is this Little House on the Prairie? ha

Old 11-26-2011, 09:51 PM

Here is an interesting recent article from the Times Union:

Affluence, equality both live here - Times Union

I know that the census data are a little dated, but I don't think things have changed that much in two years and in my opinion I wouldn't classify someone earning a median income of more than twice the nationwide median income as belonging to a lower social economic class. But then again, I never base my opinion of a person's character or intelligence on the amount of money they make either.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:10 PM

Thanks, what a great find!
Note the twisted demographics on educational backgrounds. "26% of the people over the age of 25 have at least a graduate degree or professional degree" (a professional degree in hair styling or law school, as the latter would already be included in a "graduate degree"). Also, what about those under 25? Could that mean that 90% of those under 25 have nothing more than a high school diploma, but making decent money by working for the state?
Anyway, having visited people living in Country Knolls, I realize what a sheethole it is (aside from the problems in my OP) - no ductwork means no air return vents and couple that with no ventilation to exterior in the bathrooms results in stale air, which leads to mold infestation. I would not want to raise any children in those conditions... or send them to Shen... where they're just a number (i.e., 600+ kids in your graduating class?!?!) ...but that's for another post.
Anyway, Country Knolls is just one example of an abomination of suburbia that should never have been raised... now it should just be razed.
I'm sure there are other offenders in the CD.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:06 PM

After doing a little research, it appears to me that most professional degrees are related to professions such as nursing, teaching or engineering. I did not see any mention of professional degrees in hair styling.

One more thing, is it really a bad thing that some people can make a decent living without the benefit of a college degree? I know it is becoming less common than it used to be but it is still possible. A college degree does not necessarily make a person successful in life. I know of many self made individuals that became very successful in life just by working hard and applying themselves. By doing so, they made their management aware that they were able to take on more responsibilities and they were promoted through the ranks and compensated accordingly. In contrast, I have also come across many highly educated individuals during my lifetime that did not have a single ounce of common sense. I'm just sayin'.

And, in case you were wondering, I have never lived in Country Knolls, but I do know many people that live there and they all seem pretty happy about it, so I guess that's all that matters. Maybe they are just not aware of how much better it is in the other parts of the country that you referenced in one of your posts.

I guess I just don't understand why if you don't live there, you feel the need to tell everyone how bad you think it is there. I'm just curious, do the people that you visit there share your disdain for the construction and/or school district? Do you have anything to back up your assertion that the IQ rates have declined in the area or are you just making assumptions (you know what they say about assuming)?

Old 11-27-2011, 05:16 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exupstateny View Post
I guess I just don't understand why if you don't live there, you feel the need to tell everyone how bad you think it is there. I'm just curious, do the people that you visit there share your disdain for the construction and/or school district? Do you have anything to back up your assertion that the IQ rates have declined in the area or are you just making assumptions (you know what they say about assuming)?
From past posts by this person, he hates upstate NY with a passion. I'm not sure what his continued interest is in constant bashing, but it sure grows old quick. Obviously RACEFROMTHECURE had a bad experience...well, move on.

If I remember correctly at one time he was ranting about $$ being spent on breast cancer research.

Best to ignore the rants.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:43 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racefromthecure View Post
I guess the point I was trying to get across was that upstate New York homebuilding has not been on par in the 70s-90s with home-building practices elsewhere in the country, even if they were not standardized across the nation. Having traveled lots of places in the U.S. has allowed me to compare late 60s/early 70s homes one-to-one to what this area offers and this area falls below average... I'm just saying. It's been since the early 90s that construction practices here have been standardized with the rest of the country... they still did radiant heating up here all through the 80s! I can forgive the lack of central air since that only came about in the late 60s, but aluminum windows for the home came about right after WWII. Wooden windows??? Is this Little House on the Prairie? ha
Not on par? As somebody who has traveled all over the place, the quality of homes from that era is no different in upstate NY than in any other area of the country.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
After doing a little research, it appears to me that most professional degrees are related to professions such as nursing, teaching or engineering. I did not see any mention of professional degrees in hair styling.
Nahhh... everyone is a "professional" nowadays or have nonsensical feel-good self-imposed acronyms after their name. If you google it, the only true professionals have been doctors, lawyers, and clergy. Don't know why they throw Jesus freaks into that mix, but that's the traditional definition of a professional. Everyone else is a professional by virtue of having a professional - e.g., NYSUT - a Union of Teaching Professionals. Ugh, please.

Quote:
I know of many self made individuals that became very successful in life just by working hard and applying themselves.
Yes, but it's rare. And yes, a degree doesn't mean one has common sense.

Quote:
Maybe they are just not aware of how much better it is in the other parts of the country that you referenced in one of your posts.
I just don't think they care or they may be stupid. I think the latter, as evidenced by those idiots living there raking up leaves every second day and bagging them up, oblivious to the fact that a new batch of leaves will come down overnight or be blown in from the neighbor's yard. Such pride in such a sheety community. The overgrown trees have caused half the lawns to wither over the years - there's more dirt in front lawns than there is grass. I don't live there, but I do drive through there on a daily basis and visit 'family' every month. I'm obviously joking about the IQ rate... well, maybe note, if 75% of the population in CK is reaching Alzheimer's territory soon and the other population are po' folk (yes, I'm generalizing that po' folk have lower IQs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
From past posts by this person, he hates upstate NY with a passion. I'm not sure what his continued interest is in constant bashing, but it sure grows old quick. Obviously RACEFROMTHECURE had a bad experience...well, move on.
If I remember correctly at one time he was ranting about $$ being spent on breast cancer research.
Best to ignore the rants.
Upstate New York is so strange. There are people who think living here is an honor and the greatest thing. Aside from shopping centers there's nothing here in the way of culture. Show me the zoos, the museums, the kids museums. Oh wait, I have to drive 3 hours for that. Where is the proximate nature? Oh wait, you'll point me to mountains an hour north, east and south. Yeah, 'cause I can't have that in other places in the northeast U.S. And I get raped with taxes for the lack of all of these amenities! Woohoo... I'm glad I signed up for this gig. Well, at least it's just temporary and I get paid $200k to play the role of manager of foreigners new to the area who probably hate living here as much as I do.

Never posted about breast cancer research - you're confusing me with someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Not on par? As somebody who has traveled all over the place, the quality of homes from that era is no different in upstate NY than in any other area of the country.
Not true. I know for a fact that Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Philly residential building practices stopped using radiant heating in the late 70s, whereas it continued here and in Boston well into the late 80s. And why were brick homes not built here anymore after the 60s unless you paid an outrageous premium. Not even high end Marini homes are built with all brick around here. Brick construction is standard for $350k+ homes in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Philly.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:33 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
FWIW Radiant heat has vastly improved since the days of Levitt running metal tubing directly into concrete. The following is one product we use in residential applications:
» Lower Operating Cost » Warmboard Radiant Heat Subfloor: Simply Smarter Radiant Heat

Another product you poo-pooed:
Marvin Wood Windows and Doors - Custom Wood Windows & Patio Doors

http://www.eaglewindow.com/getdoc/3c...n---Aug08.aspx

With respect to above ground power lines: The bottom line is that while aesthetically pleasing to have buried lines, it is more expensive to work on the lines. Where once a bucket truck and crew would suffice, the utility company will be engaging excavator crews and heavy machinery -- in addition to the linesmen.

Central air is a taxable upgrade -- in other words, install central air and see your property taxes increase -- people can live without central air in the north east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area