Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 07:02 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
The problem with the nanotech industry is that you need specific or specialized degrees to work in the field such as chemistry, physics, or engineering. How many people who are unemployed or looking for employment in the Capital Region have those kind of degrees? Even to work in the business management sector of nanotech you need to have a scientific background, like all scientific research corporations. Other states are creating jobs, but the difference is that these jobs don't require specialized degrees, such as many manufacturing jobs.
Are these states actually creating jobs or are they just attracting jobs from somewhere else? You also have energy jobs in the Plains states and into Wyoming, but from what I'm reading on the forums for those states, conditions, work hours and housing may be issues.

I don't if this works though: manufacturing jobs in Albany, NY - Indeed Mobile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 04:24 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,127 times
The 11 Worst-Performing Cities in America - Yahoo! Finance

See our lovely Albany is on here. No wonder my husband is pulling his hair out trying to find a JOB here.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post

See our lovely Albany is on here. No wonder my husband is pulling his hair out trying to find a JOB here.
I will say that it is funny how the Upstate NY cities on the list have the worst pictures. With that said, I think the areas that took longer to get into the recession will take longer to get out of it as well. Here is the source for this:
Metro Monitor - September 2012 | Brookings Institution

Old 09-20-2012, 06:06 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,890 times
Quote:

LOL. At least Albany made a list for something!

Old 09-20-2012, 06:53 AM

After looking at the information, the list is based off of the last quarter. Meaning, that while the unemployment rate may be below the nation average, the last quarter has seen a slight increse in that rate. So, the title of the article is is stated to catch the eye of readers.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:10 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:

If you look hard enough, you can find anything to prove you're right. I can make up a report about anything manipulating statistics and making a region look bad on paper. That doesn't mean it's doing awful.

Albany is doing so badly yet according that report the GMP has increased 5% and employment is up 1.7%. There weren't THOUSANDS upon thousands of people laid off to begin with in the area. The housing market has also moved upward since the first quarter which is the slowest time in most of the nation for selling homes. And just because the price fell a bit, doesn't mean homes are dirt cheap. That is definitely NOT the case in the Albany area.

Here are some current articles that prove the Albany area is not gloom and doom like you 3 like to claim:

Some good news is highlighted - Malta - timesunion.com - Albany NY

Area house market turns a corner - Times Union

Like I stated previously, there ARE jobs out there! And no they're allnot at McDonald's. They may not be in your field, but that is the case in many areas. If you found one that did have an opportunity in your field, I'd guess you'd relocate.

I know there are jobs out there because my other half was recently recruited by a company in East Greenbush. We currently reside in South Carolina (we're originally from the Albany area) and they came to him and he was NOT looking for a new job at all. He's been with his current company for 18 years. In business, a lot of it is who you know. The company who recruited him does not ever list job openings. It's all done by in house referrals from current employees. This is becoming very common in the business world.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:00 AM

49 posts, read 102,633 times
That list is quite bogus. It doesn't even include the cities in cali that are BANKRUPT.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk191 View Post
That list is quite bogus. It doesn't even include the cities in cali that are BANKRUPT.
Very true! There are several in California that are pretty darn close to bankruptcy and some that are in bankruptcy. I believe there are 3 in bankruptcy right now. I know Harrisburg, PA also filed bankruptcy and that's the state capitol! Detroit is certainly much worse off than any city in NY and most of the country.

US Cities Going Bankrupt

Old 09-20-2012, 08:46 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I

I know there are jobs out there because my other half was recently recruited by a company in East Greenbush. We currently reside in South Carolina (we're originally from the Albany area) and they came to him and he was NOT looking for a new job at all. He's been with his current company for 18 years. In business, a lot of it is who you know. The company who recruited him does not ever list job openings. It's all done by in house referrals from current employees. This is becoming very common in the business world.
I don't mean any disrespect to you but #1--Just because your husband was recruited by a company from another state (he must have a skill in demand) doesn't mean it's all roses here.

We've had out of state calls but they have led to poor job offers (bad pay) or they discounted us being out of the area.

#2--YOU DON'T LIVE HERE. It's hard to get a handle on something when you are not in it every day.

Yes, if you have an established career I don't doubt there is a way to network to a new job. My husband had a skill in demand and that is how we wound up here.

However it was a broken job in a bad organization that recruited from the outside because no one on the INSIDE wanted it.

And he was fired 8 months later.

Because of the way things work, he can't find a comparable job in the area. He's blacklisted from some of the companies due to the policies of the organization. This is just too small of an area "not to know" someone who knows you in the field.

Every day I pray he gets a job out of state. That's the bottom line. Yes, I mean it.

Most people seem to be underemployed here or unemployed. Or work for the state or "education."

We three who "are down" on the area are not operating out of a bubble but IN the area. If you look at the thread about "transfer" people here, many are or were unhappy and could not wait to leave.

Like I said, this area is "pretty cheap" and not bad but it's not good unless you have a specific niche.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I don't mean any disrespect to you but #1--Just because your husband was recruited by a company from another state (he must have a skill in demand) doesn't mean it's all roses here.

We've had out of state calls but they have led to poor job offers (bad pay) or they discounted us being out of the area.

#2--YOU DON'T LIVE HERE. It's hard to get a handle on something when you are not in it every day.

Yes, if you have an established career I don't doubt there is a way to network to a new job. My husband had a skill in demand and that is how we wound up here.
Who said any places was all roses? We get it. You hate the area. It's not for you. I don't like the area I'm in in South Carolina either, but I wouldn't say it's a complete dive. It's just not for me. I don't tell people not to move here because it's a crap hole. There is a city near here that I do say has a lot of issue and I would never live there. Then again, I wouldn't want to live in a place that had 6 people shot in a few minutes one night regardless of where it is.

I may not live there right this moment, however I only moved 2 years ago and am home very frequently. My entire family is in the area still and I talk to them about things there daily. I also lived in the area MUCH longer than you have! I know what it is like there. You don't realize what is in the area until you live there for years and get out and see it. There's plenty you can't see as well unless you drive through all of the office parks and see what companies are there. There's much more to the area than just Albany.

My husband's skills are in IT. There have been IT jobs in the area for over 2 decades. That's why he went to HVCC for his computer science degree many years ago. Yes, he has a certain knowledge in certain items in his field because he's done it for so long, but it wasn't always that way. He started out as the janitor for the company he works for! So don't count out low paying jobs. You may work hard and someone like the president of the company will notice and give you an opportunity. You never know, but with the negative attitude you have, that won't happen. Was being a janitor my husband's dream job? No, but he had bills to pay and needed to eat. He paid his way through college with that job and didn't live with his parents.

Just because you were offered a job with lower pay than you want doesn't mean there aren't jobs. Given what your husband does there's not a million places for him to look for a job. As you said, he's been black listed and that happens in every industry. Maybe it's time to consider a new career or going back to school to learn some new skills. I'm not saying a master's degree, but there are places hiring plumbers, electricians, etc. which don't require years and years of education. People in those professions do make good money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area