Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 10:16 AM

39 posts, read 77,958 times

Advertisements

Hi there. We're moving to Saratoga in a few months and thought I'd see if there's anything we should know! We don't know anyone there but are excited to meet people and become a part of the community. Any recommendations about how to meet new people, things to try, the cell phone companies that get the best reception, banks... anything... would be great. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 06:44 PM

338 posts, read 557,014 times
I think you'll like Saratoga. I visit often.

I'm the kind of person who doesn't go out of his way to be social and meet people; I like to be alone. Not that I'm not friendly but you know what I mean. So I don't want to give advice on how to meet people but I'd say it's like anywhere else. Saratoga nightlife is very popular, I know that much.

I have Sprint. Never had a problem with signal. But I know it's not a favorite cell provider by locals. Lots of people seem to dislike Sprint for whatever reason.

KeyBank is what I go with. They always seem to have the nicest people working there no matter which branch I visit. There are a lot of locations around the northeast and other various states I believe. First Niagara is another small bank that I think might be in Toga.

Where are you moving from and where are you moving to?

Old 10-26-2014, 06:50 PM

112 posts, read 245,605 times
If you were a little more specific with your post, you might get more action, for example - are you a young couple? Do you have kids? Retirees? Here are some answers to your questions with minimal snark.

Meet new people by finding similar interests.

Try all the restaurants and visit spa state park.

Verizon is the cell phone carrier of choice (right?)

Banks? Umm, Saratoga National?

Old 10-26-2014, 07:07 PM

That's minimal snark, eh?

We have two small kids, moving from outside nyc. Looking forward to a slower lifestyle and quieter environment.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:09 PM

Thanks! You say you visit often; where are you located? Seems to be a popular tourist destination, which irritates some. I think it probably adds a lot of vitality and businesses but I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishwhat View Post
I think you'll like Saratoga. I visit often.

I'm the kind of person who doesn't go out of his way to be social and meet people; I like to be alone. Not that I'm not friendly but you know what I mean. So I don't want to give advice on how to meet people but I'd say it's like anywhere else. Saratoga nightlife is very popular, I know that much.

I have Sprint. Never had a problem with signal. But I know it's not a favorite cell provider by locals. Lots of people seem to dislike Sprint for whatever reason.

KeyBank is what I go with. They always seem to have the nicest people working there no matter which branch I visit. There are a lot of locations around the northeast and other various states I believe. First Niagara is another small bank that I think might be in Toga.

Where are you moving from and where are you moving to?

Old 10-28-2014, 06:57 AM

112 posts, read 245,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePianoMan View Post
That's minimal snark, eh?

We have two small kids, moving from outside nyc. Looking forward to a slower lifestyle and quieter environment.
You probably have experienced this with your kids, but I envision your connection to other Saratoga families to go something like this: you're all at story time at the library and your kid starts playing with some other random kid whose parents are also there. You say to the parent, "how old is your kid?" The parent responds, "oh, Billy - he's four, he'll be starting school at 'Caroline' next year, how about yours?" And you say, "oh, Bobby - he's four too, we just moved here...I'm Frank, by the way." "Hi Frank, nice to meet you, I'm Belinda." Boom! Instant connection! That's going to happen at the library, the local parks, the children's museum, etc...

I'm sure Saratoga will be slower and quieter than what you're used to. Although track season can get relatively "loud", but in a good way.

You'll find Saratoga to be a touristy type town, but primarily in the summer. There is a strong enough core of local full-time residents to maintain a very healthy civic pride. It's not as touristy as say, Lake George, which really only thrives during the summer months.

If you haven't already, use the search option for this forum and read the multitude of posts already written about Saratoga to get even more information. Saratoga always comes up when people are searching for the best towns to live in the capital region.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:41 AM

338 posts, read 557,014 times
Quote:
Thanks! You say you visit often; where are you located? Seems to be a popular tourist destination, which irritates some. I think it probably adds a lot of vitality and businesses but I don't know.
I don't like to disclose my location but I do live in the northeast currently. I am from western MA so I am familiar with NY's Capital Region. Toga isn't exactly touristy with the exception of summer time in my opinion. But even then it's not a bad place to be because of that. Summer is Saratoga is the best time of the year in my opinion.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:07 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,671,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishwhat View Post
I don't like to disclose my location but I do live in the northeast currently. I am from western MA so I am familiar with NY's Capital Region. Toga isn't exactly touristy with the exception of summer time in my opinion. But even then it's not a bad place to be because of that. Summer is Saratoga is the best time of the year in my opinion.
Agree with you. We live on an outlying area of Saratoga and other than the five weeks of track season we don't find it to be touristy either. A nice family town is Wilton. Schuylerville school district is rated highly. There is a lot of family activities in and around Saratoga where I'm sure you will meet people. If you haven't visited the Children's Museum, it's a great place and the kids love it. AFA cell phones, we have had Verizon forever and don't have any issues. No matter what provider you get, there are dead zones all over. We have a "bundle" with Verizon (DSL, Direct TV, phone). We have found Direct TV the best for us and they rarely raise the rate unlike Time Warner, which neighbors have and cancelled due to the constant rate increases. There are several banks to choose from, Adirondack Trust is one that comes to mind. Saratoga Hospital is a good hospital in case you would require one. There are several new medical practices. Being from NJ finding a primary has been difficult. Wilton Medical Arts is a good place for Urgent Care, labs and recently began a primary care. Hope this information helps.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:25 PM

Thanks very much! Very helpful. It always seems hard to find good primary care doctors, vets, and pediatricians so that's our first set of challenges. Thanks very much for the information!

Old 10-31-2014, 09:35 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,671,115 times
Quote:
Thanks very much! Very helpful. It always seems hard to find good primary care doctors, vets, and pediatricians so that's our first set of challenges. Thanks very much for the information!
There are vets all over the area. Since we are on the outskirts of Saratoga we use Battenkill Veterinarians.

Several new large physician groups have moved into the area (Latham)
Ellis Medicine
Welcome - Community Care Physicians

Info on Wilton Medical Arts
Home - Saratoga Hospital

As you will discover you might have to drive a distance for shopping at a larger Mall than is in the area (Colonie Center Mall, Clifton Park Mall, Crossgates Mall).

There is outlet shopping north of Saratoga (I think the Exit is 20).

The only big box stores in the area are Sam's Club (exit 6) BJ's at Wilton Mall.

Hope this provides you with some information that is helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area