Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 11:22 AM

628 posts, read 663,288 times

Advertisements

So it is not set yet, but I may be movin to albany with my wife and toddler by the end of the summer. We are coming from Syracuse and I have some questions about the area:

1. looking for a suburb with some sort of a town center. To anyone familiar with Syracuse then think of the fayettevile manlius area.

2. my wife and i will both be working downtown so a less than 20 minute commute would be nice.

3. prefer to be west or south of the city. West would be nice because it wouild cut down on thruway travel time for family visiting from syracuse.
South, would be nice because it would cut down on travel time to nyc, as I have family on LI.

4. that being said, what is the time travel for getting to midtown, by way of driving to met north from albany? (I have heard anywhere from 2 - 4 hours, not sure which is accurate though)

5. to anyone with kids, how is it as far as activities, etc... in syracuse I have found that there are numerous places and activities to take advantage of (ymca, state parks, etc...) I imagine albany is the same, but would like some confirmation.

6. lastly, and this is broad so feel free to include whatever you think. I am looking for the overall atmosphere of the area. I grew up in NJ and on LI and have lived in syracuse for some time now. So basically, how much different can it be from those places?

lastly, thanks in advance for any help, it is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 11:44 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Scotia, Colonie(in or around the village), Altamont, Delmar, Westmere and Niskayuna(think more like DeWitt in the J-D SD, with nice, older neighborhoods next to nice parts of Schenectady with shopping close by).

Old 05-26-2012, 10:35 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
My parents in Delmar are putting their house on the market in a couple weeks...

1. it has a town center, great public schools, 4 (soon to be 5) supermarkets.

2. you can get to downtown in 20 minutes

3. 10 minutes from thruway exit 24.

4. YMMV, but about 3 hours to NYC.

5. Thatcher Park is lovely, Indian Ladder Apple Farm, Five Rivers nature preserve, Great Escape theme park is an hour north, etc.

6. My friends from Syracuse described a mainly negative, inferior attitude; it is the same in Albany. But like Syracuse suburbs Albany suburbs have good schools and are quiet and peaceful. I think they are similar.

My advice is to avoid the Saratoga County suburbs. Settle in Delmar, Guilderland, Colonie, Niskayuna, or Rotterdam and u will be fine.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:35 AM

628 posts, read 663,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
My parents in Delmar are putting their house on the market in a couple weeks...

1. it has a town center, great public schools, 4 (soon to be 5) supermarkets.

2. you can get to downtown in 20 minutes

3. 10 minutes from thruway exit 24.

4. YMMV, but about 3 hours to NYC.

5. Thatcher Park is lovely, Indian Ladder Apple Farm, Five Rivers nature preserve, Great Escape theme park is an hour north, etc.

6. My friends from Syracuse described a mainly negative, inferior attitude; it is the same in Albany. But like Syracuse suburbs Albany suburbs have good schools and are quiet and peaceful. I think they are similar.

My advice is to avoid the Saratoga County suburbs. Settle in Delmar, Guilderland, Colonie, Niskayuna, or Rotterdam and u will be fine.
Great stuff, thanks. Any specific reason to avoid Saratoga County suburbs?

Old 05-27-2012, 12:24 PM

506 posts, read 1,025,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
Great stuff, thanks. Any specific reason to avoid Saratoga County suburbs?
The attractive aspect of Saratoga County is the slightly lower real estate taxes. The unattractive aspect is the commute to Albany if you have normal working hours. I lived in Saratoga County for over twenty years and worked in Albany, but I was fortunate enough to have a 7 AM - 3 PM workday which makes the commute bearable. Also, off the top of my head, the only towns with what I would call town centers are Saratoga Springs, Ballston Spa, Mechanicville/Stillwater, Schuylerville and Waterford and only Waterford is a twenty minute or less commute to Albany and that is only if there is no traffic.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:43 PM

95 posts, read 191,447 times
I recommend Colonie if you have traditional work hours--otherwise Clifton Park.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshells72 View Post
Clifton Park is more sprawled out and is more like Cicero or Clay in the Syracuse area.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:59 PM

334 posts, read 852,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshells72 View Post
But neither Colonie or Clifton Park have town centers in the traditional sense.
One of my disappointments in moving to this area is that there are very few towns with town centers. Bethlehem has a little bit of a town center at the Four Corners. Altamont is very small, but cute, with a village center. It is probably more than 20 minutes to downtown, depending on where you live. Scotia has a little center with an inexpensive, family-owned, second-run movie theatre. It is a fair bit further from Albany than Altamont, but it probably is just as quick, if not quicker, to get to Albany because you are near the highway. Ballston Spa has a nice town center. There are other places with nice town centers, but they are further away from Albany. Niskayuna doesn't have a town center, but the section called Old Niskayuna has a little strip with some useful and cute stores.

This area has tons to do for young families. I'm not sure what sorts of activities you are looking for, but if you search for some of my earlier posts, you will find a lot of my suggestions to other families.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:21 AM

255 posts, read 488,153 times
1. I've lived in Albany for most of my life (in Colonie). I think your best bet in terms of a small-town suburb would be Delmar.

2. It's like a 10 minute commute.

3. It's south of the city and very close to the thruway.

4. I'd say it's about 2 hours 45 minutes to Midtown.

5. Delmar has a great school and is a great place to raise a family (it has lots of young families).

In terms of activities around Albany, I'd say it's very similar to Syracuse. One difference however is that Albany's downtown is a bit more walkable. There are several fun areas of downtown that are fun to visit for dinner (downtown proper), drinks (Lark Street) or just during a sunny day. Washington Park, for example, is a great park in the heart of downtown to go and visit during the summer or fall. It also has a playground.
Like Syracuse there are lots of small mountains close to visit for skiing (if interested) in the winter, or bigger mountains further away. In a similar vein there are lots of State Parks close by if interested in a good hike, but there's also Adirondacks at about an hour drive if you're interested in something more challenging. There's also a great YMCA in North Albany. Because Albany is a very old city and is the state capitol, there are lots of neat museums to go to, including the New York State Museum which kids love (it has a ride-able carousel). You can also tour the State Capitol building. The Empire State Plaza, which is between the Capitol building and the State Museum, has a farmers market and lots of festivals in the summer and winter.
Because Albany is relatively equidistant between Buffalo, NYC, Boston and Montreal there are lots of large musical acts that stop by Albany that normally wouldn't for a city of it's size.

6. I'd say the broad feel is just like Syracuse in my estimation.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:40 AM

Here's a streetview of Delmar: delmar, ny - Google Maps

It does look like the villages of Fayetteville and Manlius now that I think about it.

Here are some more places in the area: westmere, ny - Google Maps

colonie, ny - Google Maps

altamont, ny - Google Maps

scotia, ny - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area