Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,107 times

Advertisements

Hi there everyone! We're a growing family currently of 3 (soon to be 4) looking into relocating to the East Coast from Colorado Springs. My husband is an HVAC technician with 3 years field experience, so entry level, but experienced with installation, repair and service, and some light commercial work. My question specifically is this: Comparing the areas of upstate New York (I am partial to the capital region like Saratoga Springs and outside Albany) with the areas around Raleigh North Carolina, which area would be better for HVAC employment?

I've visited both areas that I mentioned, and I am partial (very partial) to upstate New York. I loved the feeling of history, the numerous outdoor activities available, and the feeling of community that I got from Malta/Saratoga. However, I know that the winters in and around Raleigh would be much milder than upstate NY (though in residential HVAC that isn't necessarily a good thing). I also have a lot of family that lives in the NC/SC region and they love it, though they are in the tech or medical field so their employment is quite different. From my research I know that both Saratoga and Raleigh both have a large tech industry (Raleigh more so as it's in the Research Triangle), which would be smart to be around if my husband decides to branch more into commercial work. We obviously also want an area with low crime, good schools, available rentals, expanding employment in his field, and would also prefer to be within 1 hour of a large-ish city. I would love to relocate to an area that has all 4 seasons and a warm, friendly atmosphere. I found that more prevalent in NY that in NC, surprisingly. The biggest worries that I have about each location are:

1. I've heard that employment for blue collar workers like those in the HVAC industry is in a slump in upstate NY, is that true? And I've also read on some forums that if you aren't in the tech field then good luck finding a job in NC. Thoughts?
2. In Colorado Springs he has long work lulls, particularly in late fall and early winter. Would these be an issue in NY/NC as well? I feel like it might be similar in NC because of the more temperate weather.
3. Would living expenses in/around Saratoga be astronomical compared to Colorado Springs? I felt like NC was comparable, but NYS is obviously at least slightly more expensive. Would wages make up for that?
4. My husband also makes $19 an hour at his current job, does anyone have any experience with what he could expect wage wise in these other areas?
5. Different certifications will be required for each area, and up East is more reliant on boilers unless I'm mistaken. Would the transition be a major shell shock?
6. Which area would be better suited if he does decide eventually to go commercial?

Thank you, I swear I have researched and researched but hearing from real people helps a lot. I know much of this may come down to opinion, but if any facts could be shared that would help greatly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 02:16 PM

247 posts, read 525,885 times
1. I would think with all four seasons (and spring and autumn being short) that an HVAC technician would stay busy throughout most of the year in NYS. It's freezing most winters, and muggy most summers.

2. Don't know Colorado Springs weather at all, but I've lived in Raleigh and the Albany area. Raleigh's winters are nothing, maybe a month of real weather and cold, and their long summers felt less muggy than Albany's, contrary to popular belief. I know because I can't stand humidity mixed with heat.

3. Again, not familiar with Colorado Springs, but I would say both NY and NC state capitol areas are relatively similar, with NY maybe having the edge with heavier property taxes, but better schools.

4. No, but there are plenty of local, family owned firms that seem to stay busy.

5. Don't know.

6. Don't know.

One thing to keep in mind is culture shock. NC is in the bible belt. For this Yankee it was kind of weird being in prayer circles all the time, for things like lunches at work. On the other hand, people are less cynical and more friendly in the south, at least on the surface. But I missed the northeast cynicism and dark humor enough to leave NC.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:04 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantweed View Post
1. I would think with all four seasons (and spring and autumn being short) that an HVAC technician would stay busy throughout most of the year in NYS. It's freezing most winters, and muggy most summers.

2. Don't know Colorado Springs weather at all, but I've lived in Raleigh and the Albany area. Raleigh's winters are nothing, maybe a month of real weather and cold, and their long summers felt less muggy than Albany's, contrary to popular belief. I know because I can't stand humidity mixed with heat.

3. Again, not familiar with Colorado Springs, but I would say both NY and NC state capitol areas are relatively similar, with NY maybe having the edge with heavier property taxes, but better schools.

4. No, but there are plenty of local, family owned firms that seem to stay busy.

5. Don't know.

6. Don't know.

One thing to keep in mind is culture shock. NC is in the bible belt. For this Yankee it was kind of weird being in prayer circles all the time, for things like lunches at work. On the other hand, people are less cynical and more friendly in the south, at least on the surface. But I missed the northeast cynicism and dark humor enough to leave NC.
This is funny. Now I know you have never lived in Raleigh, North Carolina. Prayer circles at work... Did you work at a Baptist church?

Old 05-03-2013, 10:13 PM

334 posts, read 852,124 times
I don't know anything about the HVAC industry, but do know that the grads from the program at the local community college seem to find jobs. The building trades in general have been trying to recruit workers - there is a real worry that the trades have been graying as more and more people are pushed towards 4 year college and away from trades. The unions have even had recruitment fairs for young people in our area, which is saying something since wages will increase if there is a shortage of workers. Again, I don't know about HVAC specifically, though, so definitely try to find people in that specific trade to talk to before making a final decision.

There is a lot more regulation of building trades in NY than in NC. There are also stronger unions here. The positive side of this is that having certifications and continuing education in the trades is more valued here and wages tend to be higher, although some cities in NC may have higher pay than in parts of NY due to demand. The negative side is that the state can be a stickler about who they allow to practice in the state. I know that in some trades it is difficult to become certified in NYS even if you have certification elsewhere and lots of experience. Maybe HVAC has more national standards, and it is not as much of a problem in this field, but you should definitely ask one of the unions or a school that trains in HVAC, such as Hudson Valley Community College about this. NYS is notorious for red tape, so even if you think there is no question about this, ASK.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:00 AM

VintageSunlight, you can say I didn't, but that doesn't change the fact that I did. Lived in Holly Springs and Cary (Consolidated Area of Relocated Yankees). Or am I just making this all up?

Old 05-06-2013, 10:30 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantweed View Post
VintageSunlight, you can say I didn't, but that doesn't change the fact that I did. Lived in Holly Springs and Cary (Consolidated Area of Relocated Yankees). Or am I just making this all up?
Everyone knows what Cary stands for, rare to hear it down here, but ok. I have no beef with you or reason to doubt other than I've never heard of prayer circles at work in the Triangle.

Maybe you worked in a very small workplace with like 10 people, all Christians, so it was acceptable to do. I could see that anywhere and that wouldn't be a culture shock to me. Or worked for a religious entity, like a church or religious private school. But otherwise, I have never, ever heard of that happening here in a typical secular workplace environment.

I could see it possibly in the very rural counties of NC or SC, but even that, the ACLU would be all over it.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:10 AM

I worked in two small print shops. At one of them, THREE people were Baptist preachers! For a guy who listened to Slayer growing up, it was a bit much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area