Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2015, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,502 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be moving to Rensselaer area next month and would like to have advice from the locals on the Pre-K/Pre-School program. We will be living in Rensselaer. I try to look online and can't really find any information regarding the program (Also, I did my study in England and have Zero idea how the education system work in the USA).

The info i have so far (from friends/internet) are:
1. To participate in the Pre-K, one has to live in the city. is this TRUE? I don't mind sending my daughter to/from nearby area.
2. If the area i stay does not have Pre-K (I did not find School with Pre-K in Rensselaer). Where the children in the area go? Staying in daycare?
3. How much is the tuition fees? Some told me is free and some said it varies (from $800-$1400)!

Can you help me? Please!

Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 04:47 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
There is a Pre-K program at Van Rensselaer Elementary in the Rensselaer City SD: http://www.rcsd.k12.ny.us/pages/RenssCSD

Browser Not Supported

There are private options as well. Keep in mind that there is an area that has a Rensselaer zip code, but is in the East Greenbush school district, which doesn't have Pre-K, if I'm not mistaken. So, private Pre-K options would have to be considered if you live in that part of the Rensselaer zip code. This is a program that may be worth a look and East Greenbush is a good school district: Child Care Center in East Greenbush, NY | 3 Spring Hurst Drive | Tutor Time Learning Centers

This is the public elementary school in the Rensselaer portion of the East Greenbush SD: Red Mill School - Public School

East Greenbush CSD - Red Mill ES

Red Mill School - Rensselaer, New york - NY - School overview

More info: East Greenbush Central School District - USA.comâ„¢

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-31-2015 at 05:01 PM..

Old 05-31-2015, 08:32 PM

Here are a couple of private schools in the immediate area with Pre K: Welcome to the Doane Stuart School

https://www.woodlandhill.org

Old 06-03-2015, 09:39 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,410,581 times
The US system is patchwork at the pre-k level - the poor and the fortunate get it for free (though not usually in the same school) and most middle class pay a lot. Read Ch 3 in the attachment.

Guide to the US Education System

One important aspect to note is that the socio-economic background of the school district that you live in determines the quality of the education your child receives. If you have to ask 'how bad can it be' you don't understand the US educational system.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here are a couple of private schools in the immediate area with Pre K: Welcome to the Doane Stuart School

https://www.woodlandhill.org
Here is the tuition information for both of these schools: Tuition and Fees | Doane Stuart

https://www.woodlandhill.org/admissions/tuition-fees/

OP, would you be open to other schools in the area?

Also, as long as you value education OP, you should be fine in just about any school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area