Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 07:31 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,766 times

Advertisements

Amsterdam gets a bad rep, but I thought this was kind of neat: https://www.downbytheriverkayakrentals.com/

I've always thought the city should promote its easy access to the river a lot more. I really think kayaking and other water sports should be bigger than they are during the summer months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 07:02 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
More on this: Kayak tours on the Mohawk River coming to Amsterdam *–* Mohawk Valley Compass - Amsterdam NY News and Opinions

This store is in the area: Canoes for Sale: Amsterdam, NY: Adirondack Kayak Warehouse

Old 10-18-2017, 07:16 AM

What are your thoughts on the city developing its waterfront?

Old 10-18-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
What are your thoughts on the city developing its waterfront?
I'm not sure, but I think that any city with assets such as a waterfront should maximize it. Amsterdam's location in terms of proximity to the Adirondacks and Catskills, as well as the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area and some historic sites should also be promoted.

Do you know if the city has a river walk? That could be another idea for the city to pursue. It appears that it has a canal trail and sprucing that up could help as well.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm not sure, but I think that any city with assets such as a waterfront should maximize it. Amsterdam's location in terms of proximity to the Adirondacks and Catskills, as well as the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area and some historic sites should also be promoted.

Do you know if the city has a river walk? That could be another idea for the city to pursue. It appears that it has a canal trail and sprucing that up could help as well.
I don't recall a river walk but there is a river front park on the north side of the city that, in my opinion, is underrated and underappreciated.

The canal trail is actually really nice and surprisingly well-kept. Most of it is clear and paved well. I wish they'd knock all those trees down that block the trail's view of the river though. In some areas, you can see the river, but in most, you can't. It also leads right into Southside, where all the restaurants and bars are. Old school Italian joints, which are great.

Amsterdam residents complain a lot about blight, which they definitely are not wrong about. But I really think developing the waterfront could work out well for the city.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I don't recall a river walk but there is a river front park on the north side of the city that, in my opinion, is underrated and underappreciated.

The canal trail is actually really nice and surprisingly well-kept. Most of it is clear and paved well. I wish they'd knock all those trees down that block the trail's view of the river though. In some areas, you can see the river, but in most, you can't. It also leads right into Southside, where all the restaurants and bars are. Old school Italian joints, which are great.

Amsterdam residents complain a lot about blight, which they definitely are not wrong about. But I really think developing the waterfront could work out well for the city.
Do you know if the city put in for the Downtown Initiative through the state? I ask, because Urban Renewal appears to have done a number on Downtown Amsterdam in terms of built environment. I think if Amsterdam could reattach the urban fabric of its Downtown, it would make a difference. You MAY be able to attract people that work at say Beech-Nut or FMCC, among a few others, to live there as well.

I believe the lady that in the first article I posted actually works at one of those places. So, if you can get more like her to invest/live in Amsterdam, that would help as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-18-2017 at 10:04 AM..

Old 10-18-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Do you know if the city put in for the Downtown Initiative through the state? I ask, because Urban Renewal appears to have done a number on Downtown Amsterdam in terms of built environment. I think if Amsterdam could reattach the urban fabric of its Downtown, it would make a difference. You MAY be able to attract people that work at say Beech-Nut or FMCC, among a few others, to live there as well.

I believe the lady that in the first article I posted actually works at one of those places. So, if you can get more like here to invest/live in Amsterdam, that would help as well.
Not sure if they applied for that Downtown Initiative but I would imagine so. From what I remember, the pedestrian bridge connecting both sides of the city was a big push. Now that it's complete, they should focus on the blight and urban renewal. I think you're right though, if Amsterdam could clean up their urban areas and make the city "flow" a bit better, it'd do wonders. I have family in Amsterdam who enjoy living there because of its relatively low rate of violent crime and walkability.

I really think Southside could see people from the Capital Region moving there if they promoted it more. It's a very quiet, safe place to live. Easy access to 90 if you don't mind commuting into Schenectady or Albany. Can't beat those restaurants there either.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Not sure if they applied for that Downtown Initiative but I would imagine so. From what I remember, the pedestrian bridge connecting both sides of the city was a big push. Now that it's complete, they should focus on the blight and urban renewal. I think you're right though, if Amsterdam could clean up their urban areas and make the city "flow" a bit better, it'd do wonders. I have family in Amsterdam who enjoy living there because of its relatively low rate of violent crime and walkability.

I really think Southside could see people from the Capital Region moving there if they promoted it more. It's a very quiet, safe place to live. Easy access to 90 if you don't mind commuting into Schenectady or Albany. Can't beat those restaurants there either.
Thanks for mentioning the restaurant aspect in regards to the city’s Southside. I wonder if people know about that.

I also agree about the I-90 access, as it is still close enough to commute to those cities or nearby companies.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks for mentioning the restaurant aspect in regards to the city’s Southside. I wonder if people know about that.

I also agree about the I-90 access, as it is still close enough to commute to those cities or nearby companies.
Unless you're from Amsterdam, not a lot of people know about Southside's great restaurants. My favorites are:

Amsterdam NY Restaurants, Italian, Parillo's Armory Grill
La Cucina - can't find a website
L'ultimo - can't find a website

They're all really close to each other too.

The fact that a couple of them don't have a website shows how old school they are...and their food is on point!

In general though, Amsterdam surprisingly has some very good places to eat. I'm a fan of:

GOODFELLAS PIZZERIA - Home - Pizza, subs, salads are perfect.
Bottisti's Pizzeria - Everything from here is great.
Bosco's is good too.
Russo's Grill off West Main is a local favorite, although I've never been to the Amsterdam location.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Unless you're from Amsterdam, not a lot of people know about Southside's great restaurants. My favorites are:

Amsterdam NY Restaurants, Italian, Parillo's Armory Grill
La Cucina - can't find a website
L'ultimo - can't find a website

They're all really close to each other too.

The fact that a couple of them don't have a website shows how old school they are...and their food is on point!

In general though, Amsterdam surprisingly has some very good places to eat. I'm a fan of:

GOODFELLAS PIZZERIA - Home - Pizza, subs, salads are perfect.
Bottisti's Pizzeria - Everything from here is great.
Bosco's is good too.
Russo's Grill off West Main is a local favorite, although I've never been to the Amsterdam location.
Here's a street view: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9334...i6656?hl=en-US

That area of Amsterdam looks like it has a lot of potential to be filled in with development in order to bring density to that street. It could attract some folks and would allow people to walk to restaurants, as well as highway and Downtown access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area