Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 01:25 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pineapple View Post
In addition to all the ghetto scum passengers, CDTA runs things backwards.
If you wanted to add service from Albany to Saratoga, the best bet would be along Rt. 9 between Latham Farms and Saratoga, seeing that there is already bus service between Latham Farms and Albany.

A few years ago, CDTA actually ran a pilot bus route along Rt. 9 (Route #409) from Saratoga down to Clifton Park, but got discontinued due to no riders. Many passengers and drivers pressured CDTA to extend the #409 further south to Latham Farms to connect with Routes #370 (Troy/Schenectady), #190 (Latham/Crossgates) and #182 (Albany/Latham/Cohoes). However, CDTA declined to do so with the lame excuse that extending the #409 any further would make the bus ride over one hour long and studies show that all bus routes over one hour long are not successful. This is not true, the old #55 bus was well over one hour long and the busiest route. Also, the #50 bus is 80 minutes long one way between Schenectady and Wilton Mall and one of CDTA's greatest successes. Still CDTA did not want to hear it and cancelled Route #409 service. If the #409 has been extended down to Latham Farms, it probably would have been just as successful as the #50 bus.

Regarding service to Amsterdam, I am pretty sure that CDTA only covers four counties (Albany, Rensselaer, Saratoga and Schenectady). Amsterdam is Montgomery County so it is out of CDTA range. The same goes for Glens Falls which is an ideal city for CDTA to expand to, but is also out of the four county range.

In addition, both Amsterdam and Glens Falls already have their own bus service (Glens Falls has GGFT which runs service out to Hudson Falls, Fort Edward, Queensbury and Lake George with a summer trolley that running as far north as Bolton Landing). The only way CDTA could run service to these cities would be to either buy out their bus companies (their bus companies are tiny compared to CDTA, so that would be easy) or agree to just run one bus route into their city to link with their city bus service (i.e. a bus route from Schenectady to Amsterdam or from Saratoga to Glens Falls), thus not interfering or competing with their existing bus system, just bringing passengers into their city from the areas covered by CDTA.
Amsterdam is actually completely losing bus service, if I’m seeing this correctly: Amsterdam, facing deficit, shuts down public transit system | WRGB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 02:14 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,675,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Amsterdam is actually completely losing bus service, if I’m seeing this correctly: Amsterdam, facing deficit, shuts down public transit system | WRGB
Not surprising. Unfortunate, but not surprising.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:20 PM

30 posts, read 51,247 times
Anyways if you live in the Capital District, it is wort buying a cheap used car, just to avoid riding the CDTA buses, mainly because of the ghetto passengers.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pineapple View Post
Anyways if you live in the Capital District, it is wort buying a cheap used car, just to avoid riding the CDTA buses, mainly because of the ghetto passengers.
For all of the routes?

Old 06-17-2018, 11:50 AM

6 posts, read 14,293 times
I've been riding CDTA along State St. (routes 355 and 905) for three years. The vast majority of riders are families -- lots and lots of families -- and people going to and from work. I've only seen one incident: an intoxicated man was asked to get off the bus (which he did) after becoming verbally abusive. I was also once pestered by a man and decided to get off the bus early so he wouldn't see my normal stop.

If you're white, and people who are brown or black make you uncomfortable, CDTA may not be for you. After having lived in the PNW and seen public transit incorporated into the mainstream working routine for so many people, I was disappointed when I moved here and realized that the buses are seen as just being for poor people and broke students. Nobody else uses them.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:54 AM

30 posts, read 51,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by absentHeart View Post
I've been riding CDTA along State St. (routes 355 and 905) for three years. The vast majority of riders are families -- lots and lots of families -- and people going to and from work. I've only seen one incident: an intoxicated man was asked to get off the bus (which he did) after becoming verbally abusive. I was also once pestered by a man and decided to get off the bus early so he wouldn't see my normal stop.

If you're white, and people who are brown or black make you uncomfortable, CDTA may not be for you. After having lived in the PNW and seen public transit incorporated into the mainstream working routine for so many people, I was disappointed when I moved here and realized that the buses are seen as just being for poor people and broke students. Nobody else uses them.

My main problem is these obnoxious inner city people sometimes bother you for being in their "space". Like if you stand too close to them, they start cursing at you or if you accidentally brush against them (often times because the bus is crowded), they start cursing you out. I have personal problems of wanting to take on people who are abusive or rude to me, so I give it right back to them. So in the past, I would get into altercations on the bus, where I would respond to these people by saying "You effing with me or you want a piece of me" then get into a verbal argument with them. It all comes down to the flight or fight instinct and I chose to fight.

I cannot handle that type of environment, which is why I do not ride CDTA.

Old 06-04-2022, 05:47 PM

More CDTA related news...

CDTA awarded over $500,000 to buy route mapping software: https://www.timesunion.com/business/...ness-spotlight

More news: https://www.cdta.org/news

Old 06-05-2022, 12:26 AM

20,634 posts, read 4,412,829 times
Quote:
The authority plans to use the software to ensure Capital Region routes are as efficient as possible and make tweaks to some runs in Montgomery County.
I'll believe it when I see it. Most drivers don't follow their time table at all.

IE: Bus#00, 1st, 2md, 3rd runs

1st run is ten minutes early.
2nd run is five minutes late.
3rd run is a minute early.

That goes for most routes.

The only routes that run fine are 905, 922, 923 But all routes can't be like them.

Old 08-24-2022, 07:48 PM

A college student’s guide to riding CDTA buses: https://www.timesunion.com/travel/ar...business-river

Old 10-18-2022, 07:33 AM

White House Infrastructure Coordinator Mitch Landrieu touts $25.4M federal investment in CDTA: https://www.troyrecord.com/2022/10/1...tent=automated

From the article: "White House Infrastructure Coordinator Mitch Landrieu visited Albany Monday to highlight federal infrastructure investments. Speaking at the Capital District Transit Authority (CDTA) headquarters, Landrieu spotlighted a $25.4 million federal investment in CDTA funded by the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act. The project enables CDTA to expand its fleet of electric buses and further develop its charging infrastructure to lower emissions and combat climate change.

Landrieu, who is also a senior advisor to President Joe Biden, noted how these funding dollars will help reshape the economy and create more American jobs.

“As we move into a clean energy economy, think about a couple of things, right now we actually have to build these buses. We’re gonna change the entire economy of the United States of America with new manufacturing jobs with products that are made in America, for these buses,” Landrieu stated.

“Somebody has got to make the batteries that go in the buses. So an entire new group of folks are going to be working all across America and private industry has already announced billions of dollars in investments that are already coming. Since this President [Biden] has been in office, we’ve created 700,000 new manufacturing jobs, because it wasn’t just about the end result, it was about giving people the ability to support their families and to build generational wealth,” Landrieu explained.

Landrieu also spoke about his own experience riding pollution-heavy buses to school as a child and how funding for electric buses will make for a healthier commute.

“These buses are gonna make life a lot easier for everybody else in real-time, in specific places on the ground where it matters. At the bus stop, in the bus barn, in the executive office, everywhere that we’re talking about,” Landrieu added.

Albany Mayor Kathy Sheehan noted what the federal investments represent in building a green economy in the capital city.

“This is a great day for us to highlight all of the amazing ways that the city of Albany is leading in ensuring that we are investing infrastructure dollars, the funding that’s coming from Washington, in ways that help our community to build our community, that build a green economy, that take equity and social justice into consideration in all that we’re doing,” Sheehan remarked.

CDTA CEO Carm Basile commented on how the federal dollars have enabled them to ride out the pandemic and continue to grow their fleet of buses. According to Basile, CDTA has eight electric buses, and the charging infrastructure installed to take their transportation means to the next level.

“The federal government recognized the essential role that transit plays in moving us through the pandemic,” Basile said.

“I’m not quite sure if we’re out of the pandemic but for now, let’s at least wish that we’re on the road out. They have been very supportive of our work and provided appropriate funding to get us through the pandemic,” Basile continued regarding being on the front lines throughout the pandemic.

He also noted how much CDTA has rebounded with help from grants and federal investments.

“We here at CDTA use this funding to get through the pandemic and to make our system bigger, better and stronger. I’m pleased to tell you that our ridership as of [Sunday] is 85 percent of what it was before the pandemic began. That is one of the highest return rates in New York state and one of the highest for a bus-only system in North America,” Basile remarked.

“So, why is that important? It makes us ready to use investments from the bipartisan infrastructure law. This historic legislation will improve transit options for all of us and reduce greenhouse emissions throughout our country,” Basile explained.

“It will shape our future with bold investments in public transportation systems that will make our communities meet growing mobility demands,” Basile added."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area