Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 06:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,905 times

Advertisements

Is Downtown (Lark Street, for example) Albany, NY worth the housing investment for the next 20 years? It looks like it could be a fun place to live for its walk-ability and access to entertainment (The Egg, Spectrum 8 Movie Theatre). There are great shopping malls within quick reach. I also have heard that the public transportation is good.

Is there gentrification happening, and if so, what is the draw besides what I’ve stated above? Is there any prospect of increased economic/business opportunities in and around Albany, NY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 07:24 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I would look at some of the developments occurring in the area and decide for yourself if it is worth. A thread about that in the area: //www.city-data.com/forum/alban...ification.html

Old 11-25-2018, 04:49 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon61 View Post
Is Downtown (Lark Street, for example) Albany, NY worth the housing investment for the next 20 years? It looks like it could be a fun place to live for its walk-ability and access to entertainment (The Egg, Spectrum 8 Movie Theatre). There are great shopping malls within quick reach. I also have heard that the public transportation is good.

Is there gentrification happening, and if so, what is the draw besides what I’ve stated above? Is there any prospect of increased economic/business opportunities in and around Albany, NY?
Answer to all three questions: No.

Make a sensible choice move somewhere warmer, or if you really must, move to Clifton Park and buy a house. You can always go downtown, have a substandard meal, get accosted for money, find a parking ticket on your windshield, and be thankful you can sleep somewhere normal.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,905 times
Thank you Yuptag and ckhthankgod. That’s sad for Albany.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon61 View Post
Thank you Yuptag and ckhthankgod. That’s sad for Albany.
Again, I would do some research and come to the area, then make your decision. It is a steadily growing area with some development in urban/suburban areas and there are multiple options in terms of places to live in the area. So, I wouldn’t feel too sorry for the area.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Again, I would do some research and come to the area, then make your decision. It is a steadily growing area with some development in urban/suburban areas and there are multiple options in terms of places to live in the area. So, I wouldn’t feel too sorry for the area.
Albany is right next to Schenectady and Troy - be sure to visit them, too with the car doors locked.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Albany is right next to Schenectady and Troy - be sure to visit them, too with the car doors locked.
Albany technically isn’t “next” to those 2 cities and while there is crime in both, they vary in terms of neighborhoods like most cities of substantial size.

Keep in mind that Albany is the 6th biggest city in the state, while Schenectady is about 9th and Troy is around 12, if I’m not mistaken. So, compared to most places in the state, they likely to have more incidents as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-25-2018 at 10:06 PM..

Old 11-25-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Albany technically isn’t “next” to those 2 cities and while there is crime in both, they vary in terms of neighborhoods like most cities of substantial size.

Keep in mind that Albany is the 6th biggest city in the state, while Schenectady is about 9th and Troy is around 12, if I’m not mistaken. So, compared to most places in the state, they likely to have more incidents as well.
To the uninitiated, there is about a 1 mile between the borders of Albany and Schenectady and Albany and Troy. They are right next to each other.

New locals avoid the downtowns of Schenectady and Troy but somehow like the "downtown" of Albany, which basically means a 3 block strip of Lark Street, while ignoring the Detroit-like quality of the rest of the downtown. Old locals still think of the downtowns of all three cities as the place they went Christmas shopping in 1960.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
To the uninitiated, there is about a 1 mile between the borders of Albany and Schenectady and Albany and Troy. They are right next to each other.

New locals avoid the downtowns of Schenectady and Troy but somehow like the "downtown" of Albany, which basically means a 3 block strip of Lark Street, while ignoring the Detroit-like quality of the rest of the downtown. Old locals still think of the downtowns of all three cities as the place they went Christmas shopping in 1960.
They do?

You have the South Colonie SD in between Schenectady and Albany, with Troy NE of Albany and across the Hudson River. Rensselaer is directly across the Hudson River from Albany, not Troy. This is basic geography that just takes looking at a map and why I encourage the OP to do their own research.

Also, the thread I posted earlier shows that there is development in all of the Downtowns and other parts of those 3 cities. So, it is hard to deny that there are things going on in those cities on that front.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:29 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,676,743 times
I personally wouldn't make a housing investment in Albany solely based on expected appreciation. Property taxes and garbage fees only increase lol. Yes, there are some decent entertainment options nearby, but I don't think that outweighs the subpar dining selection, overall ghetto feeling of the downtown/east section of the city, and weather you have up here. Try parking in Center Square especially during winter. It will make you seriously reconsider living there full-time.

The city is nice during the summer, but it wouldn't be my ideal spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area