Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:31 AM

9 posts, read 26,189 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am currently researching places to relocate to. I have lived in Upstate NY most of my life with a short stint in Virginia. The traffic in Virginia drove me crazy and the cost of living was very high.

I love the springs and summers in Upstate and many activities;however, after living in Buffalo and Syracuse for so long, the winters are really getting to me. My body is tired and hurting. I live in the Utica area now which has nothing. At least in Syracuse and Buffalo there are more opportunities to do things I like.

I wouldn't mind the winters if they were a tad bit shorter. I am looking to find a job as a public school teacher or college instructor. I am looking for a nice performing arts scene. I dont' care about becoming famous, but I would like opportunities to participate in some theater in the summer and maybe work with an agency and do some on camera auditions and projects here and there. I am also heavy into freelance writing and would like to freelance for more publications and be able to join a local network of writers. Where I live now, it is very hard to find a teaching job, no writing groups, very few publications to write for (anything I write for now is farther away), any auditions for commmercials or small film projects are an hour away in Syracuse or Rochester and during when I work, and no theater. I could move back to Syracuse, but I really would like to be in a little bit better weather.

I also want something safe. I love to walk my dog but want to make sure I am in safe places. I also enjoy line dancing, swing dancing, baseball games, festivals (none of which are offered here) on occasion.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
IceSkatingYorkie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 10:29 AM

57 posts, read 162,858 times
The winters aren't as harsh in "my favorite suburbs" like rotterdam, latham, scotia.. because of not being in the "hilltown" areas.. they get hit alot harder w/ snow in saratoga.. but err.. sounds like you need more warmth then upstate ny!

Old 07-30-2009, 04:17 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Colonie or Guliderland wouldn't be bad either.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:27 AM

613 posts, read 2,308,010 times
I think Albany would work for you. I went to college in Ithaca so I understand about the grueling winters. The Albany winter is still pretty long, but the area gets less snow than Central NY so it doesn't seem quite as brutal. Stay south of Saratoga to avoid the worst of winter. The cost of living in the Capital Region is higher than in Utica and Syracuse, but it's definitely not as expensive as downstate.

The area has a community arts and theater scene. NYC is about 2.5-3 hrs away so it's doable as a day trip and gives you more options for freelance work and your performing interests. Albany used to have minor league baseball, but, unfortunately, I don't think it's there anymore.

Here's a link to the Metroland newspapers (it's a weekly newspaper with a heavy focus on the arts, culture and entertainment scene. Metroland Online - The Alternative Newsweekly of New York's Capital Region It will give you an idea of what's happening the in area.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:39 AM

Default We have minor league baseball!

Tri-City Valley Cats play in Joe Bruno stadium at HVCC..

Infact.. my wife who hates sports loves going to there games cause of the price / great seating, everything is front row! It's a great experience actually.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:41 AM

Festivals .. almost evvery weekend.. swing dancing in many places..

My favorite bar... "the lark tavern" has poetry open mic nights.. tons of local bands..In the city of albany there is a "Dog Park" where people bring there dogs to meet! (crazy, we use to bring our dog there, it was fun)

Old 08-03-2009, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,824 times
About an hour and a half closer to the City (traveling down from Albany), is the New Windsor, Newburgh or Cornwall areas. They are about 70-80 min. by express bus, and about 70 min. by car to NYC (there is even a ferry boat from Newburgh to the Beacon train station). Beacon has a new contemporary art museum . The Beacon train takes you to NYC, in about an hour, or less. The winters are much milder than further upstate, and the arts scene is great. I am a painter, as well as a realtor....so I can tell you about both. There are galleries, art schools, performing arts schools, restaurants that are named to attract artists, several local theater troupes. There are local colleges that offer some great courses, and seminars. On the Newburgh waterfront (10 minutes from Cornwall and 5 from New Windsor), are great restaurants and a movie theater that shows foreign films, and those that are geared to selective audiences. There is plenty of shopping in the area, too...of every sort. Lastly, this area has breathtaking views of the majestic Storm King Mtn., Schunnemunk Mtn., Bear Mtn., and the Hudson River. Hope this helps...

Old 08-04-2009, 07:32 AM

mohonk? or whatever it's called in newpalse is a great place.. and yes i can't spell!

Old 08-14-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21+yrsinOrCtyNY View Post
About an hour and a half closer to the City (traveling down from Albany), is the New Windsor, Newburgh or Cornwall areas. They are about 70-80 min. by express bus, and about 70 min. by car to NYC (there is even a ferry boat from Newburgh to the Beacon train station). Beacon has a new contemporary art museum . The Beacon train takes you to NYC, in about an hour, or less. The winters are much milder than further upstate, and the arts scene is great. I am a painter, as well as a realtor....so I can tell you about both. There are galleries, art schools, performing arts schools, restaurants that are named to attract artists, several local theater troupes. There are local colleges that offer some great courses, and seminars. On the Newburgh waterfront (10 minutes from Cornwall and 5 from New Windsor), are great restaurants and a movie theater that shows foreign films, and those that are geared to selective audiences. There is plenty of shopping in the area, too...of every sort. Lastly, this area has breathtaking views of the majestic Storm King Mtn., Schunnemunk Mtn., Bear Mtn., and the Hudson River. Hope this helps...
I will have to look into this. Thanks! :-)

Old 08-14-2009, 06:07 AM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiver View Post
I think Albany would work for you. I went to college in Ithaca so I understand about the grueling winters. The Albany winter is still pretty long, but the area gets less snow than Central NY so it doesn't seem quite as brutal. Stay south of Saratoga to avoid the worst of winter. The cost of living in the Capital Region is higher than in Utica and Syracuse, but it's definitely not as expensive as downstate.

The area has a community arts and theater scene. NYC is about 2.5-3 hrs away so it's doable as a day trip and gives you more options for freelance work and your performing interests. Albany used to have minor league baseball, but, unfortunately, I don't think it's there anymore.

Here's a link to the Metroland newspapers (it's a weekly newspaper with a heavy focus on the arts, culture and entertainment scene. Metroland Online - The Alternative Newsweekly of New York's Capital Region It will give you an idea of what's happening the in area.
This is very helpful. Thank you!
IceSkatingYorkie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area