Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 12:46 PM

19 posts, read 67,705 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a possible upcoming move to the area. Yes, I am aware that there is crime, traffic, cold, declining areas, etc, etc... but I also know that it is everywhere. So please post if you have positive suggestions.

Anyway, we would want to be within 25 miles of the GE HQ in Schenectady. Traffic to a minimum would be nice, but that might be relative. He drives 1 hr and 1/2 now to only go 25 miles!! We have a small child, who will eventually need a decent school to attend. I am not foreseeing private school in his future. Any neighborhood/area suggestions to look into would be greatly appreciated.

Location to the office is first, home size - 4BR. We are now in a community with golf, tennis and pool - not really sure that we HAVE to have that all again, but we do enjoy it. Would definitely consider new construction, but am seeming to have difficulties in locating that. Is there any?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 02:06 PM

613 posts, read 2,307,215 times
I'm not sure what your housing budget is, but Niskayuna was my first thought. It's a very nice suburb of Schenectady and a top public school district. Do a search on this forum for Niskayuna; it gets brought up quite a bit.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:14 PM

264 posts, read 444,134 times
I agree with Niskayuna But, it would be helpful to know a budget, yep. Nisky is a bit more expensive. I live in Schenectady- I have no SERIOUS or extreme complaints. I've lived here for 30 years. BUT, I wouldn't exactly recommend the school district. Niskayuna has fantastic schools (and btw, is NOT far from GE at all). Colonie might be good for you- it was recently rated one of the most safe cities in the US (!!) and also has decent schools. Saratoga might be another consideration, but would be ABOUT perhaps 30 or so minutes (I think?) from GE.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:26 PM

OK... I know where that is. We happen to have family there. I honestly don't know what housing costs there, just that the taxes are ridiculous. We are in a $300K home (~4000sq ft living space inc basement) with 4B/4Bath, finished basement on the golf course, etc... somehow I think my house would cost quite a small fortune there! But I guess that is part of what I need to know. We will be able to afford more than we have now, but I don't know how much more we have to spend to be remotely comparable.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:28 PM

Colonie is where the mall is, right? I have been on business trips and am very mildly familiar. Saratoga seemed a lot further, but maybe because I was traveling from Wolf Rd and not the office? 30 min is nothing in the scheme of commute when you think Atlanta!

Old 09-23-2009, 06:14 PM

431 posts, read 1,141,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sszabo2 View Post
Colonie is where the mall is, right? I have been on business trips and am very mildly familiar. Saratoga seemed a lot further, but maybe because I was traveling from Wolf Rd and not the office? 30 min is nothing in the scheme of commute when you think Atlanta!
Colonie Center is on Wolf Rd. Anything can take long when you're trying to get down Wolf during rush hour (I work on Wolf). Saratoga is one of my favorite places, but the drive might not be so much fun in the winter. Were you looking for a small town or something where you wouldn't have to drive far for anything?

Old 09-23-2009, 06:44 PM

It is tough to say the setting. We currently live in the suburbs. You have to get in your car for everything. But this is the south... we might not be so keen on that with snow.

We really like the concept of new construction or at least NEWER. I am having trouble finding communites though. There are a few in Charlton, Malta and the Ballston areas. Would those be good areas rather than the southern side, like Niskayuna or Colonie? I took my son to a play place in Latham. Seemed nice there, but certainly older. Is there anything newer south??

Thanks for the replies so far!

Old 09-23-2009, 06:47 PM

Ahhh... here is a request from my husband. Any golf course communities?

Old 09-23-2009, 07:17 PM

264 posts, read 444,134 times
I stand corrected on my previous reply- I think Saratoga (Springs) would actually be more towards 45 minutes, not 30.. so perhaps something that may be a tad far for you in the winter months.

Atlanta, eh? Yeah, the houses here are a tad older!! lol! Also quite a bit more expensive than the south (for the same square footage) and yes, taxes will be quite a bit higher. BUT, I'm SURE you'll find something to suit you- I hope!

Would something like this be of interest to you?
Home

Custom homes, you choose the package, you get the house in 60-120 days? They have a subdivision in Niskyuna. Perhaps an option for you, so the home is new???

My husband's boss lives in Malta So, do-able drive.. but again, about 30 minutes- so if you're NOT used to snow/ice.. it might be a bit more challenging.

I'm afraid I can't help much with the golf communities, neither hubby or I golf at all.. so that's not something I'm familiar with.. hopefully someone else can help!

Where abouts did you take your son to play in Latham? I'm just curious, I have a 3 1/2 year old daughter

Old 09-23-2009, 07:31 PM

That is a great site! Thanks!

As for driving, we are both northerners, actually. I am sure we can remember how to drive in the snow again

It was a place that had an open soft play area. They hold kindermusik classes there too. It was cute. We went for the Kindermusik, since K was little. But there were lots arriving for the soft play. It seems it was off 7, a little white building near a driving range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area